Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Treating Inflammation (OT I know)

Firstly Id like to apologise for this in the Exercise board, but I couldnt find a relevant place to discuss this and I know who to listen to in here.

Been to a doctor, have inflammed RC.

Been treating with heat cream, hasnt reallly worked. Now using an anti-inflammatory named Voltaren Rapid 12.5

My question is, is using heat cream bad?? It just sort of seems like it plus, a logical thought of sending more blood (Which is I assume what heat cream would do) to an inflammed area would be detrimental?

Any feedback is appreciated
    Time to Bulk !

Registered User AnaerobicAndrew's Avatar
    AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000)
    You need to see a PT and a doctor for this. The doc shouldve told you what to do, follow what he said.
    "Swim 2.4 miles. Bike 112 miles. Run 26.2 miles. BRAG for the rest of your life." IRONMAN TRIATHLON

Es gibt keinen anderen Teufel als den wir in unserem eigenen Herzen haben.

mikedilv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikedilv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikedilv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikedilv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikedilv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikedilv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikedilv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikedilv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikedilv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikedilv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikedilv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I won't address the RC, but I will address the original question about anti-inflammatory options.

From what I have researched, menthol based creams, gels, and sprays (Ben-Gay, Icy Hot, Mineral Ice) do not actually function as anti-inflammatories. What they do is decrease your discomfort. The only topical anti-inflammatory that I have read about is Voltaren Emugel, which anyone can order online without a prescription. I would choose ice packs or a cold swimming pool before a topical solution, however, if possible.

Also note that heat is the wrong thing to do to inflammation!!! RICE= rest, ice, compression, elevation. The time for increased blood circulation through a previously inflammed area is long after you have eliminated the inflammation with ice and/or anti-inflammatories.

re: Oral Voltaren, look around online about the pros and cons of NSAIDs, of which Voltaren is. It seems like the gel is a wiser option IMO.
    Last edited by mikedilv; 09-13-2006 at 10:35 PM.
    ~Now that you are WELL fed and full of high quality supplements, PLEASE visit www.unicef.org and join me in sending at least $5/mo to help children in countries where the leading cause of death in those under age 5 is diarrhea due to inadequate nutrition, antibiotics, clean water etc due to a lack of funding to established aide camps near them. Thank you.~

beefjerky is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefjerky is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefjerky is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefjerky is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefjerky is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefjerky is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefjerky is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefjerky is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefjerky is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefjerky is on a distinguished road. (+10) beefjerky is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The gel is also an NSAID?
    If so... damnit.

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ice and hot baths or cold/hot showers or the stuff like Ben-Gay like mikedilv said are good. The cold basically acts as an anti-inflammatory agent by limiting swelling of the damage tissue, and the hot basically increases blood flow to the area which increases the rate of healing. Sending blood to an inflamed area is not necessarily a bad thing -- only when it is swelling (e.g. you should always do cold before hotness like icyhot).

But yeah, definitely follow your doctor's advice.

Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Donshe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow, didn't see this coming back.

Been a month since Ive trained chest/shoulders or tris properly.

2 weeks since Ive worked out at all.

Pretty certain Im all fixed now.

I did BO Rows 2 weeks back because I was in less pain and thought it'd be ok. Bad idea. Went onto Voltaren 25 tabs after that for a week.

Been using along with a heat cream (Not V-Imulgel, although I intend to use that next time my dodgy RC's give up)

In recent news though, just yesterday, the heart attack chances being increased by Voltaren have been publicised. Caused me to worry about my week long pill popping frenzy. Won't be doing that so hastily next time.

Thanks for the info of hot vs. cold, thats exactly what I needed to know
    Time to Bulk !

Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vadim Beliaev is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Donshe
    Been treating with heat cream, hasnt reallly worked. Now using an anti-inflammatory named Voltaren Rapid 12.5
    This is the stuff you need to be using. I'd ask your doc for a slow release 100 mg version though. You'd only need 1 tab per day, and it would be active throughout the day.

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Donshe
    Firstly Id like to apologise for this in the Exercise board, but I couldnt find a relevant place to discuss this and I know who to listen to in here.

Been to a doctor, have inflammed RC.

My question is, is using heat cream bad?? It just sort of seems like it plus, a logical thought of sending more blood (Which is I assume what heat cream would do) to an inflammed area would be detrimental?

Any feedback is appreciated
    take your anti-inflammatory and use ice.

Heat creams help take some pain away just becasue of the sensation they cause on the skin. They don't do anything. Yes I said that right they don't do anything. Most of the time the heat will only penetrate 1 cm. 1 and a half to 2 at most. But usually the heat won't penetrate more than 1 cm and often less than that. They don't do anything physiologically, period.

However they cause a nice sensation that can relieve pain so if that makes you feel better, by all means use them.

There is one kind, called tiger balm that is very very strong, it has been shown to penetrate 2 to 4 cm. I mean this stuff is so strong it burns. It feels like someone is lighting a match on your skin. You need rubber gloves to put it on and your f*cked if you get it in your eyes.

stick with ice and the anti-inf. they they gave you. Also stay clear of exercises that bother it in the gym for a while