iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Injured lower back, want to work out - suggestions?

I'm a 22-year old University student and, therefore, i move twice a year. This past May whilst moving, I injured my lower, right back. The doctor said it is 95% likely that it is muscle/connective tissue damage and so should heal eventually.

For the summer, i have been attending physio twice a week where i do about a 30 minute workout mainly for trunk strength/stability. other than than, i have not been working out, and so, have lost a lot of the tone, strength, and muscle i built-up over the school year. I'm starting back in two weeks and my new place is literally across the street from the gym so i have no excuse not to go.

Anyway, i am scared that if i just start with a regular routine (like the one i had,a nd was working before) i would just re-injure my back and be totally out of commision.

I would like to ideally workout 3 times per week, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to start in september...

Thanks in advance!

-Chris
    Age 22
    Current 155lb w/ a hurting back :-(
    5'11"

Freestyle Bodybuilder bigcityboy's Avatar
    bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Originally Posted by iceman338
    I'm a 22-year old University student and, therefore, i move twice a year. This past May whilst moving, I injured my lower, right back. The doctor said it is 95% likely that it is muscle/connective tissue damage and so should heal eventually.

For the summer, i have been attending physio twice a week where i do about a 30 minute workout mainly for trunk strength/stability. other than than, i have not been working out, and so, have lost a lot of the tone, strength, and muscle i built-up over the school year. I'm starting back in two weeks and my new place is literally across the street from the gym so i have no excuse not to go.

Anyway, i am scared that if i just start with a regular routine (like the one i had,a nd was working before) i would just re-injure my back and be totally out of commision.

I would like to ideally workout 3 times per week, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how to start in september...

Thanks in advance!

-Chris
    avoid any lower back excersises. Work around the injury. Also If You are on anti inflamitory medication, chances are Youve not lost anything. I've shrank up to 2 inches while on anti inflamitory meds.
    No squats or deadlifts. You most likely will be able to do leg extensions and curls. Do Machine flyes for Your shoulders etc.
    It May take up to 6 months to be fully recovered.
    Last edited by bigcityboy; 08-22-2006 at 04:05 PM.

iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iceman338 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bigcityboy
    avoid any lower back excersises. Work around the injury. Also If You are on anti inflamitory medication, chances are Youve not lost anything. I've shrank up to 2 inches while on anti inflamitory meds.

I haven't been on any meds at all for my back....just a few advil/robaxecet when it gets bad..

ANy suggestions on a routine? I mainly want to concentrate on core strength because it will hopefully help my back in the long run....
    Age 22
    5'11"

bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Let Me see

Originally Posted by iceman338
    I haven't been on any meds at all for my back....just a few advil/robaxecet when it gets bad..

ANy suggestions on a routine? I mainly want to concentrate on core strength because it will hopefully help my back in the long run....
    When I was injured I did this wicked ass split for 7 full months. I left out military presses deadlifts and squats.
    day 1.
    legs.
    leg ext 12X12
    leg curls 12X12
    standing calf raises 12X12 Not on a machine only with my own body weight 1 leg at a time.
    stomach.
    machine crunces 12X12
    chest.
    Incline Bench press 4X12
    flat bench press 4X12
    dips 12X12
    Day 2
    back
    low rows 4X12
    rows 4x12
    pull downs 4X12
    shoulders.
    Machine flyes 12X12
    Arms.
    Machine curls 12X12
    machine tricep ext. 12X12
    You could split it up into 3 days if you want But I actually did this for about 6 months strait with friday off for a total of 3 full passes per week. I made really good gains in size and definition. And most importantly I recovered from My injury.

Hard Work! Dedication! Mayweatherjr's Avatar
    Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bigcityboy
    When I was injured I did this wicked ass split for 7 full months. I left out military presses deadlifts and squats.
    day 1.
    legs.
    leg ext 12X12
    leg curls 12X12
    standing calf raises 12X12 Not on a machine only with my own body weight 1 leg at a time.
    stomach.
    machine crunces 12X12
    chest.
    Incline Bench press 4X12
    flat bench press 4X12
    dips 12X12
    Day 2
    back
    low rows 4X12
    rows 4x12
    pull downs 4X12
    shoulders.
    Machine flyes 12X12
    Arms.
    Machine curls 12X12
    machine tricep ext. 12X12
    You could split it up into 3 days if you want But I actually did this for about 6 months strait with friday off for a total of 3 full passes per week. I made really good gains in size and definition. And most importantly I recovered from My injury.
    12x12 are you an idiot?
    www.mayweatherpromotions.com

No I'm serious

Originally Posted by Mayweatherjr
    12x12 are you an idiot?
    I had done some reasearch and found out that Arnold swarzenegar Had injured his knee on a posing stand. And that He had simply worked around his injury squating as little as 160lbs. And that He came Back to take the olympia.
    injuries are a setback for some but not for all.
    Dorian Yates as also worked through injuries. Actually alot of pros have worked through injuries and comeback bigger and stronger than ever.

Thanks bigcityboy, but i have not the time to devote to such a bulky routine...i'm looking for no more than an hour and a half....maybe even an hour....i have a very tight schedule....
    Age 22
    5'11"