massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Deadlifts + Bent Over Rows = Back Injury?

Is it bad to have them on the same day. I also do SLDLs on leg day.
    Is that too much for my lower back to handle?.

dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dparm99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Not at all! Just make sure you keep your form good and you should have no problems.
    sponsored by Bulk Powders Australia
    use code NAPARM in the 'redeem' box at checkout for a discount off your order

gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dont worry about what exercise you do, worry about the form of that exercise. As dparm said keep your form good and thats it. On my back day I do those 2 exercises + Tbar rows, all with good form. Form is everything.
    The secret to big muscles is setting their IP-s from the server to the host and chat with one another.

passerby is on a distinguished road. (+10) passerby is on a distinguished road. (+10) passerby is on a distinguished road. (+10) passerby is on a distinguished road. (+10) passerby is on a distinguished road. (+10) passerby is on a distinguished road. (+10) passerby is on a distinguished road. (+10) passerby is on a distinguished road. (+10) passerby is on a distinguished road. (+10) passerby is on a distinguished road. (+10) passerby is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    like these guys already said, make sure your form is correct. and only lift a weight that you can handle; dont let the ego get in the way
    UCLA Class of '09

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dont worry about what exercise you do, worry about the form of that exercise. As dparm said keep your form good and thats it. On my back day I do those 2 exercises + Tbar rows, all with good form. Form is everything.
    and

like these guys already said, make sure your form is correct. and only lift a weight that you can handle; dont let the ego get in the way

both excellent advice!

let me add the caveat that form is sometimes a relative term, meaning, what may NOT look like good form may be fine for a certain person's body and this is a learning process about our body....

the learning process becomes more critical depending upon which bodypart you are working: the lower back is as critical as it gets, because an injury in this region could cancel ALL lifting!

to the OP: you are correct to be concerned about this matter, and continue to be cautious when training the lower back erectors....

digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just did deadlifts and bent over barbell rows in the same workout, as always. I do SLDL on leg day, because I think that would be too much all in one workout.

massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    btw im still a beginner and im on max-ot so i need to train balls to the wall
    i dont wanna bust my back with so many exercises that stress the lower back
    im considering getting a weight belt to stabilize my back on leg day

i probably should of started with rippetoes but its too late now cuz im hooked on max-ot

Originally Posted by gy1
    i check my form on every single rep using a mirror

EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I prefer to have them on seperate days, though I am on a WSB hybrid routine so it's easier this way [no distinct bodypart day].

Even if I wasn't, I would rather be able to hit one hard. I've done it both ways, doing them apart turned out better for prs and mass, for me
    EoR is powered by unique Nanomolecular Hyperdispersion Technology. Giving him high bioavailability and myocellular saturation.

Still admirin Xmas brah? BaSsSiKk's Avatar
    BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Form is PARAMOUNT!
    Been doing DL and BO Rows in same workout for the entirity of my workout career more or less.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    poor form = back injury
    <->

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Since I added deads back in, my back workout starts with deads followed by bent over rows. I think it is a great way to start things off.

Your lower back shouldn't really be noticing the rows as long as you form is halfway decent. The weight you are using will be distincly less than for deads so erector strength shouldn't be an issue; the only way to stress it would be form related.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by DuracellBunny
    Your lower back shouldn't really be noticing the rows as long as you form is halfway decent. The weight you are using will be distincly less than for deads so erector strength shouldn't be an issue; the only way to stress it would be form related.
    That's how I see it. Most people are probably barbell rowing somewhere around 50-60% of what they deadlift so the lower back should be able to handle the load just fine.

sgtrobo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sgtrobo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sgtrobo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sgtrobo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sgtrobo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sgtrobo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sgtrobo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sgtrobo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sgtrobo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sgtrobo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sgtrobo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    not necessarily true from a physics standpoint, however. The stress in a row has a longer "lever arm" than with a deadlift, so lighter weight may actually = heavier weight.

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sgtrobo
    not necessarily true from a physics standpoint, however. The stress in a row has a longer "lever arm" than with a deadlift, so lighter weight may actually = heavier weight.

Lets not go there on the physics front

The erectors are in a isometric state and the load on them is handled completely differently than during deads where they are the prime movers. To be pedantic; the angular moment isn't as bad as you think it is, as the centre of gravity is further forward that you at first think due to your butt being moved backwards of the vertical and it isn't as simple as taking the moment around the hip.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

Old School Bodybuilder Frank_The_Tank's Avatar
    Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Don't look sideways to check your form in a mirror. Doing that messes up your spinal orientation.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

The bar might be a little further away from the body but I can't see 300lbs on a row imposing more stress on the lower back than a 500lb deadlift. I guess it's going to vary depending on where you row to, but to me it seems marginal. I can see how a GM for example would significantly increase the moment arm.

Obviously maintaining a near-parallel position on BB rows isn't going to suit everyone but I've never had a problem with it. I get a nice stretch of the hams much like an RDL and it feels quite comfortable. Zatsiorsky mentions in his book that beyond 45-60°, the load shifts from the erectors to the spinal ligaments so for someone who hasn't yet conditioned their lower back to heavy loads, heavy bent-over rows might create some problems and they should probably keep the angle to around 45°, or do Yates Rows, chest-supported rows, or seated cable rows.

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)

I'd agree with this. I've always found rows to be much more stressful on my lower back than deads. The weight is much further from your body with a row. As a result, I only row (a little above parallel) about 40% of what I deadlift.

Ladies Love Squat Butt Morbid_Mind's Avatar
    Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bad form + Bad form = Back Injury
    My Goals:

For to make the heavy weights light and the baggy clothes tight.

Originally Posted by Frank_The_Tank
    Don't look sideways to check your form in a mirror. Doing that messes up your spinal orientation.
    ill keep that in mind

right now im suffering from this nagging groin pain that i get when doing atg squats + deads
    maybe i just have a weak core