Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000)

Question why do people make such a big deal of the bench press??

Seriously. Is it because it's the easiest of the big 3? (in my opinion anyway)

After being on rippetoe's for a few months, I don't see the bench press as anything special. I mean sure it's a compound lift, but I personally see a set of heavy strapless, beltless deads a much better indicator of strength.

Also, why do people seem to get stuck on the bench so much? Of all my lifts (squat, bench, dead, overhead press, power cleans), power cleans have to be my most challenging, week in and week out.

Strange phenomenon ..

45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think a lot of the Bench's popularity comes with the fact that it is a relatively easy exercise to perform correctly and it's not as taxing a movement like squats and deads. It's popularity is driven by a lot of "Monday Warrior" mentality; folks who venture into the gym once, twice a week at best, and are sure to do one thing...bench.

However, it's not unusual to see more serious lifters, be they bodybuilders or powerlifters, who rank other exercises above the bench. I like the bench a lot simply because it's a big compound movement but not as much as other compound movements like deads and squats.
    Monday Bench
    Tuesday Rest
    Wednesday Drink beer
    Thursday Drink more beer
    Friday Bench
    Saturday celebrate benching by drinking beer
    Sunday plan for benching

dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by 45BIG
    I think a lot of the Bench's popularity comes with the fact that it is a relatively easy exercise to perform correctly and it's not as taxing a movement like squats and deads. It's popularity is driven by a lot of "Monday Warrior" mentality; folks who venture into the gym once, twice a week at best, and are sure to do one thing...bench.

However, it's not unusual to see more serious lifters, be they bodybuilders or powerlifters, who rank other exercises above the bench. I like the bench a lot simply because it's a big compound movement but not as much as other compound movements like deads and squats.
    hahahhaa

Dude, you must honestly not hang around here much... the bench press is one of the most hated exercises on this board. A ton of people here use dumbells, bb incline, and dips 1000x more than the bench press. So, you are not quite "cool" for bashing the bench press... happens everyday.

I am not one of those people... bench press is my favorite lift... always have been.

power cleans are hard to progress on because it is such a technique driven exercise.

dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by 45BIG

The bench press may seem easy to perform... but if you look around the average person form on the bench press is absolutely brutal. No wonder people come in here complaining about shoulder injuries during bench pressing... they don't know how to perform the lift. It really isn't as easy as it seems and a lot of people dont realize that

45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) 45BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dbcb314
    hahahhaa

Dude, you must honestly not hang around here much... the bench press is one of the most hated exercises on this board. A ton of people here use dumbells, bb incline, and dips 1000x more than the bench press. So, you are not quite "cool" for bashing the bench press... happens everyday.

I am not one of those people... bench press is my favorite lift... always have been.

power cleans are hard to progress on because it is such a technique driven exercise.
    LMFAO "Dude", I understand English is your second language but you really should try reading other posts more carefully before selecting "submit reply".
    Monday Bench
    Tuesday Rest
    Wednesday Drink beer
    Thursday Drink more beer
    Friday Bench
    Saturday celebrate benching by drinking beer
    Sunday plan for benching

smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smallasian721 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    bench pressing is sooo damn easy compared to squats and deads... I train to failure on bench press, and it barely even hurts...

I just hit a sticking point about 1/3 the way up, grunt and squirm a little bit trying to get it up, and then ask for help from my spotter. It barely even hurts...

Now squats, going to failure on those, your quads feel like their about to melt...

dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10) dunk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dbcb314
    The bench press may seem easy to perform... but if you look around the average person form on the bench press is absolutely brutal. No wonder people come in here complaining about shoulder injuries during bench pressing... they don't know how to perform the lift. It really isn't as easy as it seems and a lot of people dont realize that
    I tell you honestly it is so much more complicated then doing deads, I mean forget timing and moving the hips forward I have a hard enough time balancing the weight and keeping it level...seriously man its not that hard, you have to be an idiot to mess it up.
    I hate POGs that pretend to be hard ass warriors

jpars will become famous soon enough. (+50) jpars will become famous soon enough. (+50) jpars will become famous soon enough. (+50) jpars will become famous soon enough. (+50) jpars will become famous soon enough. (+50) jpars will become famous soon enough. (+50) jpars will become famous soon enough. (+50) jpars will become famous soon enough. (+50) jpars will become famous soon enough. (+50) jpars will become famous soon enough. (+50) jpars will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by smallasian721
    bench pressing is sooo damn easy compared to squats and deads... I train to failure on bench press, and it barely even hurts...

I just hit a sticking point about 1/3 the way up, grunt and squirm a little bit trying to get it up, and then ask for help from my spotter. It barely even hurts...

Now squats, going to failure on those, your quads feel like their about to melt...

harsh day for my rich loser 185 pound friend on D-bol and the entire BSN Mass Stack when he puts up more then me on the bench (myself weight at 250). hooting hollering screaming thinking hes the super ****. i wasnt about to chew his ass out about roids (im pretty sure if 24hr gets notice of it, maybe only specifically if its in the building but none the less, they suspend you)
    so.........

i went to the squat rack and busted out 365 8 times. he refused to squat, saying he "did legs the day before and didnt want to ruin his split this week" COMPLETE BS he struggles to put up 225

its all about the squat

the "real" little BIG man little_big_man's Avatar
    little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500)
    bench press >>>> incline bench press >>>> deadlifts >>>>> poop >>>>>> squats

bench press
    SPRAINED WRIST as of 10-6-06 (waiting for it to heal)

Current stats
    height = 5'7
    weight = 230 pounds
    waist = 38 inches
    arms = 16.5 inches (PR)
    bench = 170X6 (4 sets) MAX = 200(PR)

GOAL stats
    height = 5'7
    weight = 240
    waist = 34 inches
    arms = 19 - 20 inches
    bench = 260 X 6 (4 sets) MAX = 315

PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Everyone knows benchpress weight is directly proportional to penis size.

Anyone who has a weak benchpress or wont tell you what they bench has a small penis.

I'm not joking.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    its hard to explain....it just "fits" the mentality of most people......for one, yes, its easier than squats or deads

back before benches became popular the overhead press was all the rage.....you werent a man unless you could put 200 over your head

before that it was the "bent press"
    "Humility comes before honor"

md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PoW
    Everyone knows benchpress weight is directly proportional to penis size.

Anyone who has a weak benchpress or wont tell you what they bench has a small penis.

I'm not joking.
    by that logic, can I get a bigger dong if I up my bench?

PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by md3sign
    by that logic, can I get a bigger dong if I up my bench?
    Absolutly

TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Because when people think of bodybuilders/weightlifters they usually think of 1 or 2 things, big chest (which I don't have, atleast pecwise lol) and big arms. I know its sad, but its true because I've asked people what they think of weight lifting and they say, "oh man, anyone who lifts must have a big chest and swole arms!" and thats what a majority of society thinks. Sure some might think big legs, a sixpack, and a nice chisled back too but most people (mainly the younger crowd in high school) think bb's are guys with a big upperbody and no lower body, I've seen em. Luckily my legs aren't twigs, still need to get bigger tho!

Registered User mardydagymjunky's Avatar
    mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) mardydagymjunky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    havent read the above post, but what other excercise do u think it a better indicator of pushing strength?? it combines a good amount of chest shoulder and tris.. i personally can see why so many people place a high emphasis on it.. jus my 2 cents worth tho
    Get big or die trying.

the "real" little BIG man little_big_man's Avatar
    little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500) little_big_man is not very helpful. (-500)
    incline bench press is probably a better indicator of pushing strength

considering when you push your body is at a 45 angle.

also TJ is right everyone and their mother has heard of the bench press. Its just widely known and more popular so most casual lifters and non lifters assume its the ultimate test of strength.

it really is a good exercise though but i still think incline press is a better indicator of pushing power.
    SPRAINED WRIST as of 10-6-06 (waiting for it to heal)

Current stats
    height = 5'7
    weight = 230 pounds
    waist = 38 inches
    arms = 16.5 inches (PR)
    bench = 170X6 (4 sets) MAX = 200(PR)

GOAL stats
    height = 5'7
    weight = 240
    waist = 34 inches
    arms = 19 - 20 inches
    bench = 260 X 6 (4 sets) MAX = 315

Originally Posted by mardydagymjunky
    havent read the above post, but what other excercise do u think it a better indicator of pushing strength?? it combines a good amount of chest shoulder and tris.. i personally can see why so many people place a high emphasis on it.. jus my 2 cents worth tho
    If you're talking about upper body pushing strength, yes it's a good indicator. But what use is a giant upper body with a sad core or twig legs? Wind blows, you fall and injure yourself. Try to move a couch, you fall and injure yourself.

As far as compounds go, squats and deadlifts activate a LOT more of your body than any bench press ever will. I won't even mention oly lifts.

I'm not saying it's not important, it is. What I'm saying is that people use the bench press as a benchmark of overall strength. Which is a problem. I've seen VERY few people at my gym, for example, do the big 3. It's usually the big 1.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Seriously. Is it because it's the easiest of the big 3? (in my opinion anyway)
    It's easily the easiest. No contest. Anyone who argues otherwise has never squatted or deadlifted.

Here's my take on it: IMO, overhead presses (military press, push press/jerk, clean & press, etc.) and also weighted dips are a greater test of upper body strength as opposed to lying flat on your back pressing a barbell so if you're only interested in building the chest, DB presses will get the job done with less risk of pec tears, shoulder injuries, etc.

You should see the weird looks I get from guys who ask me if I bench and I answer "no." I don't think I've missed out on any chest size or upper body strength (since I do lots of shoulder pressing and weighted dips), and I've never had a shoulder injury, so for me the choice is easy.

dmoore323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmoore323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dmoore323 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yea most ppl don't know how to bench properely. They usually end up stimulating more of their shoulders on the lift then they do their chest. You just have to remember to arch your back so your chest is out and keep your shoulders out.
    15 years old
    40 time: 4.58
    Free Safety

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    What I'm saying is that people use the bench press as a benchmark of overall strength. Which is a problem. I've seen VERY few people at my gym, for example, do the big 3. It's usually the big 1.
    Good point. Take a look at the sport of strongman. If bench is the ultimate test of upper body strength then where's the bench press event? There's plenty of overhead pressing (log press, viking press, etc.) and of course the importance of pulling and leg strength goes without saying. If all you've got is a big bench and nothing else, you probably wouldn't win a single event.

And in the sport of powerlifting, there's a simple explanation for the use of bench shirts and it's not just to put up bigger numbers: torn pecs are common with heavy raw benching.

mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    And in the sport of powerlifting, there's a simple explanation for the use of bench shirts and it's not just to put up bigger numbers: torn pecs are common with heavy raw benching.
    Thats a good point, but PL'ers also wear belts and knee wraps for a reason too. Its not just the benchers getting injured in the sport of PL'ing, lots of lower back injuries, knee injuries, hernias etc..

I guess the difference is you cant replace squats and deads, but you can replace upper body pushing movements.

AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Here's my take on it: IMO, overhead presses (military press, push press/jerk, clean & press, etc.) and also weighted dips are a greater test of upper body strength as opposed to lying flat on your back pressing a barbell so if you're only interested in building the chest, DB presses will get the job done with less risk of pec tears, shoulder injuries, etc.

Well for one the olympic lifts are much harder to perform. Technique also plays a bigger role, so for upperbody pushing strength, bench press makes more sense.

Dips aren't popular in general because a lof of people simply can't do them(even though 99% of this forum supposedly does weighted dips) and aren't especially interested in weighing themselves down... same as pullups.

Overhead presses just happen to involve smaller weights and don't have nearly as much popularity as the bp. Standing barbell overhead presses are about as rare as deadlifts in my gym.

As far as strongmen, I hope they would include a benchpress event. They could keep the same style as their squat/deadlift competitions(one set, adding weight each rep) It doesn't have to be the focus of the competition, but as a single event, why not? Ofcourse there are some nice and some not so nice explanations for that one...

Edit: they have sumo competitions and tug of war in strongman for christ's sake. Benchpress couldn't be all that bad.
    Last edited by AHTTG; 08-20-2006 at 09:42 PM.
    "It seems like your goal is not to help."

log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147517853&p=960218773&viewfull=1#post960218773

Originally Posted by AHTTG
    Well for one the olympic lifts are much harder to perform. Technique also plays a bigger role, so for upperbody pushing strength, bench press makes more sense.
    Military press is obviously not an Oly lift and push press isn't a difficult exercise to learn at all. Olympic lifts involve a lot of technique so you're right there, but the basic overhead pressing exercises can be easily learned and will all get the job done.

Dips aren't popular in general because a lof of people simply can't do them(even though 99% of this forum supposedly does weighted dips) and aren't especially interested in weighing themselves down... same as pullups.

True, I can count on one hand the number of guys I've seen doing them weighted, but the simple fact is it's a lot like a decline press which is what bench turns into once you factor in a big arch. I'm a big fan of dips as you know and I genuinely don't feel I'm missing out on upper body strength (front delts, tris) by doing them instead of bench. Incline DB takes care of my chest development.

(cont...)

AHTTG: Overhead presses just happen to involve smaller weights and don't have nearly as much popularity as the bp. Standing barbell overhead presses are about as rare as deadlifts in my gym.

Well that's because most people don't see a reason to do them. Everyone has a hard on for bench. The bar is conveniently sitting there waiting for them to flail away. Some gyms have a seated military press bench, and even if they don't, with a power rack there's no excuse not to do them either standing or seated.

As far as strongmen, I hope they would include a benchpress event. They could keep the same style as their squat/deadlift competitions(one set, adding weight each rep) It doesn't have to be the focus of the competition, but as a single event, why not? Ofcourse there are some nice and some not so nice explanations for that one...

I'll be honest with you, I don't really miss it. When I first started training I thought bench was an impressive test of strength but the novelty has long since worn off. Seeing someone press a heavy barbell over their head will always be more impressive to me than someone lying flat on their back all suited up and surrounded by spotters. I'll be honest, I hardly pay any attention to bench in PL because seeing a bar move a few inches bores me.

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

see my sig....

it's ALL i do now.

OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50) OLP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm part of the push press crew.
    Push-Press and Deadlift are, IMO, the best total body strength tests. The other options, jerk and squat, IMO are too tehcnical and/or controversial (depth etc.)

AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AHTTG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I should of clarified. I don't mean a pler style, suited, arched bench press. I mean a normal "raw" lift with a small(natural or whatever they call it) arch, or better yet no arch at all.

Besides, dips don't have the same accuracy of measurement like a benchpress. You have to factor in the bodyweight as part of a lift.

I see your point about overhead pressing, it's important, no doubt about that. But, raw upper body strength would be better determined by a lift that utilizes more muscle groups(I emphasize upper body because legs are obviously involved in a push press...)

I kind of do miss the bench press in strongman competition because that's one of the lifts that I actually do myself and it certainly beats the heck out of strongman sumo. The nice way of putting it would be that strongmen is about feats of strength and functional strength, not strength in a weightlifting gym... but there's always the thought that they simply want to avoid the inderect competition from plers(although as unfair as that would be) or even football players.

log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147517853&p=960218773&viewfull=1#post960218773

Originally Posted by OLP
    I'm part of the push press crew.
    Push-Press and Deadlift are, IMO, the best total body strength tests. The other options, jerk and squat, IMO are too tehcnical and/or controversial (depth etc.)

yea, who needs chest or legs(a max dl pull will almost always be an RDL). heck throw lats in there for a good measure....

Originally Posted by SDFlipStyle
    see my sig....

it's ALL i do now.
    When you said you were keeping it "short and sweet" you sure weren't kidding around

Seriously though, I think you could build a pretty damn solid routine around those two exercises. For legs in a bw based routine, you could always get a hip squat belt for squats (spine isn't being loaded up with weight).

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AHTTG
    The nice way of putting it would be that strongmen is about feats of strength and functional strength, not strength in a weightlifting gym... but there's always the thought that they simply want to avoid the inderect competition from plers(although as unfair as that would be) or even football players.
    they might want to avoid seeing someone get killed on TV, lol.....ever noticed how many injuries those guys have?.....ever see em faint in the hot sun? I would think they want to avoid the rotator cuff stress and injury potential of the bench press

plus the bench press is probably boring compared to other stuff they do

also, maybe they fear the 'worlds strongest men' wouldnt seem so strong in a familiar event like bench press......how could they claim to be the "worlds strongest" when a couple dozen powerlifters can outbench 'em???
    "Humility comes before honor"