Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10)

how many days should i train

Hey sup guys
    I was wonding, How many days a week should I be training to get bigger?? I usually train four days per week but this last week I train six days and did everything twice... I know that six days per week is too much.. I read some articles that if you get your food and recovery in then you can train as often as you like... Right now, I'm in college and so, I'm pretty much hanging around until school starts up again... should I return to the four day split or hit a five day?? hitting everything once a week??what do you guys think should be my next move???

Thank You

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Welcome to the forum.....

I personally dont think once per week programs are ideal.....I like 2x per week or even stuff like splitting the body 3 ways and then training "2 on, 1 off"

like this

M-chest/delts/tris
    Tu-legs
    W-off
    Th-back/traps/bi
    F-chest/delts/tri
    sa-off
    Sun-legs
    Mon-back/traps/bis
    Tu-off
    etc

thats more than once per week, but less than 2x per week

also you dont HAVE to do the same split every week.....you can do 6 days per week, then 4 days, then 6 days, then back it down more on the 4th week for recovery

check my first post in this thread where I went over this same thing in detail.....plus be sure to check the article that is linked in the thread

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=876941

JP
    "Humility comes before honor"

Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the welcoming John, I've always used this site to get my supps and today, just decided to join you guys...

get ideas... but will I end up overtrain and beating myself into the ground??

pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpinainteasy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up less is more

Originally Posted by Green_day
    Thanks for the welcoming John, I've always used this site to get my supps and today, just decided to join you guys...

get ideas... but will I end up overtrain and beating myself into the ground??
    i beleilve less is more in this game you grow out of the gym it takes on average 48 to72 hours for a body part to recover from hard balls to the wall training the structure of your workout is as important than how many days you go to the gym if your new to this overtraining will slow your progress down 4 days training or more the best way is 3 days mon wed fri of weekends train back biceps legs mon chest triceps calfs wed shoulders traps abs on fri mix up exercises sets and reps keep intensity high and elvaluate your progress every 2 months this wont make you huge but will give you a great foundation for the future and on the right track a beginner should not be following a pros program

I'm not a begininer, I've been training for four years now.

Beating that damn logbook SpeedUp2's Avatar
    SpeedUp2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedUp2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedUp2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedUp2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedUp2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpeedUp2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Training 6 days a week is OK as long as you periodize your training and do a back-off when you feel like overtraining. Its not all about how much you eat or recover - training 4 days a week and eating ~4000 cals each day (I'm 5.7, 177lbs) + 10h sleep still makes me feel overtrained after around 4-5 weeks.

The debates about one vs two times for a muscle group are endless, especially if it refers to more advanced trainees. I personally have FAR better results with two times per week protocol with more back-off days, but still I'm not an advanced trainee.
    My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6324151

reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One of my splits are

Monday
    Chest
    Shoulders
    Triceps

Thursday
    Back
    Biceps

Following Monday
    Legs

Thursday
    Repeat cycle

But usually people go Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
    RIP Steve Irwin :(

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by reflexions
    One of my splits are

Monday
    Chest
    Shoulders
    Triceps

Thursday
    Back
    Biceps

Following Monday
    Legs

Thursday
    Repeat cycle

But usually people go Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

hehe, if you split it up that way you have endless options........that is how I have been doing it for a few months now "push", "legs" and "pull" days

first when i was trying to push the volume I did it 6 days per week

M-push
    Tu-legs
    We-pull
    Th-push
    F-legs
    Sa-pull
    su-off

that is old school high volume...some guys like Melvin Anthony still do it that way

I did that for 2 weeks, then deloaded for a week, then went to my current setup....which is just doign the same thing but using a "2 on, 1 0ff" schedule

M-push
    Tu-legs
    W-off
    Th-pull
    Fr-push
    S-off
    Su-legs
    M-pull
    Tu-off
    etc

one could also do the same but without working out on Sundays....that would add an extra rest day on occasion

or, you could do the same split but not work the weekends, like this

M-push
    Tu-legs
    W-off
    Th-pull
    Fr-push
    Sa-off
    Su-off
    M-legs
    Tu-pull
    W-off
    Th-push
    F-legs
    sa-off
    Su-off
    etc

that is working 1 bodypart twice per week and the other bodyparts 1x per week.....so it is a little less than "2x per week" and it is slightly less than the "2on, 1 off"

then of course there is the Lee Haney way..which was popular in the late 80s....some pro's probably still use it....the "3 on, 1 0ff" approach

M-push
    Tu-legs
    W-pull
    th-off
    F-push
    Sa-legs
    Su-pull
    M-off
    etc

that is slightly less than the 6 days per week schedule...but still pretty grueling in the long run

so its a very versatile way to split things up
    Last edited by John Prophet; 08-20-2006 at 08:40 AM.
    "Humility comes before honor"