xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy post workout meal

hey, wondering if anyone can help me!! after my workout which is after work so i dont get in till 9ish i have my shake -- whey protein with dextrose and was wondering what the best meal to have after when i get home? so many different opinions one saying no fat the other saying fat no carbs whats right? today i had mackeral with quinoa which is a grain that is high in protein and carbs is this ok please help really confused!!! oh and then at bed i have my shake with milk....makebe someone could give me an alternate to food as i do eat rather late xxx

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Right after your workout, you have the shake (no fat)...around an hour-hour and a half later, have a meal w/ protein, carbs, and fat (you need the carbs after you work out!)

xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xxcarlzxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question todays diet

morning shake
    breakfast 7.30am porrige and blueberries
    10.30 snack shake, rasberries and seeds
    12.30 snack pear and necterine
    1.45 lunch half can tuna with mixed beans and an apple
    4.15pm protein bar and banana
    7.00 post workout shake
    7.30 dinner mackeral and qunioa
    bed- shake

is this ok how could i improve? x

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would have more veggies..good fat? Why do you have so many shakes?

Smile ?

i was told that shakes keep your protein levels up? do u not have shakes? if so when?

its hard to have veg as i travel alot in my job so its what ever will keep in a cool bag..what best veg carrots chopped maybe?

cindyw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

shakes

In response to Twinnett's response re the post workout shake...what if you workout is at night, for expample I workout at 7 pm and have my shake right after is around 8/8:30...then by 9/10 I'm hungry...so I was thinking if I had some kind of food with the shake maybe I wouldn't be so hungry later, but I don't know what that should be? And by the way I have my dinner around 5:30 pm....Now I'm at 14 weeks out from my next competition so I want to make sure that if I add some food with my post workout shake that I want it to be something that is not going to put on any weight or stop me from leaning out. Any suggestions?

Thanks

exactly

thats why im confused as i train late after work i finish about 9ish sometimes later and have my post workout drink when i get in i have food at the mo and have been haveing another shake b4 bed, i think this is to much but dont no what the best route around it all is..... i.e what do i have when i get home as normally only up for another hour or so?????

Why don't you have the shake immediately after working out? (I have mine while I'm stretching), then eat a meal around an hour or so later before you go to bed. Protein is good, but there are many other good sources of protein (lean meats, eggs, cottage cheese,etc) Try to limit the shakes to pre and post workouts.

I do have it immediately after my workout but 2 hours later around 9-10 pm I'm starving so what I am asking is....should I add some food with my shake like a rice cake or 2 so I'm not hungry right before I go to bed and if I do want to eat before I go to bed what is the best thing I can eat?

Thanks

I eat before bed all of the time (carbs and all!) and have never had a problem...actually too skinny right now!

ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by xxcarlzxx
    morning shake
    breakfast 7.30am porrige and blueberries
    10.30 snack shake, rasberries and seeds
    12.30 snack pear and necterine
    1.45 lunch half can tuna with mixed beans and an apple
    4.15pm protein bar and banana
    7.00 post workout shake
    7.30 dinner mackeral and qunioa
    bed- shake

is this ok how could i improve? x
    I would take out the fruit. I know people won't like it but for me it worked.

M1-1/3-1/4cp oats, egg whites 1cp and green tea
    M2-3oz chicken breast w/veggies
    M3-2 oz turkey breast, 3oz yam or sweet potato
    M4-4oz fish-organge roughy, flounder, sole or cod w/veggies
    M5-Pwo shake w/h2o
    M6-1/2-3/4cp ff cottage cheese w/veggies

This is just an example and add your flax, pb or nuts in meals before wo. Or even take meal 2 out. This is basic lean prot/carb/fat. Fats should be added min.

Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I react to fruits too. I don't react to carbs pre-bed in general though. But I know that a lot of people do. If you are one of them, try to get a high-GI carb with your PWO (like a fruit) and get your pre-bed carbs in a more "liquid" form, like through yogurt or hummus. A cup of soy milk is a pretty balanced ratio of protein and carbs too. Maybe try that?

I end the day on a protein shake with fish oils and some ff yogurt and it is doing wonders.
    Last edited by Back2zero; 08-17-2006 at 06:32 PM.
    Looking straight ahead

Talking bed time

no one has yet to give me an answer please help people!!!! after training i go to bed around an hour later, so what should i have before bed???????????????xxx

Bulking for the past 15yr MyPumps's Avatar
    MyPumps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyPumps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyPumps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyPumps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyPumps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyPumps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyPumps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyPumps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyPumps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyPumps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyPumps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You know, I've been searching the entire forum (not just women's section) for information because I'm new. I, too, train later in the evening. That isn't as huge a factor for what to eat, when, as some people make it. The most common thing I've read about what to eat before bed is cottage cheese and/or an apple. Many people have posted this either as a response to similar questions or list it in their own diets. I have also been overdoing the protein drinks, myself. twinnett and others gave me some great advice that I'm going to start implementing today, one of them being more "real" meals and the above. The casein in the cottage cheese is slower processing than the protein drink you're probably drinking (unless it has micellar casein), if nothing it is a more natural, cheaper source.
    Hope I've helped
    List of Things to Do.....
    1.Stop sucking it in and just suck it up and do it.

My Lifts: A cup of coffee and warm sunshiney days

Bench: Stayin' off it as much as possible

Squat: What I know about what I'm doing

Deadlift: Silly! I'm a student, not a coroner!

Have your whey shake right after training. Right before bed, many people have cottage cheese and PB, and you can add an apple or something if you'd like

minick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) minick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) minick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) minick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) minick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) minick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) minick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) minick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) minick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) minick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) minick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

To the original Post

Hey... Just wanted to give my opinion! I also workout at night about 6pm.. drink my post-shake (whey, dex) as i am walking out of the gym... But my reading and suggestions about the "meal" is at least a hour after your shake you should have a MEAL... In that meal I have always eaten protein, carbs... As i have read in the past not to eat fat right after a workout... but some people say if you wait like 2 hours after your workout it would be ok.. SO with that said I would have a meal that had protein and carbs a hour after your shake.... BUT i would also work it where you could fit in some Cottage cheese and fat meal before you fall asleep.... The casein in the cc will digest much slower... YOU can also drink milk.. as it has casein or a casein protein drink.... all this will keep your muscles feed as you sleep.... I also competed this past June.. and this worked for me.... Or sometimes it was so late i would mix Tuna, cc, pickles and a little splenda. OH and 2 egg whites all together.. (yep sounds gross) but it was good.. had a huge amount of protein.. carbs came from the cc... and did well with this....

Hope that helps some... just my 2 cents!

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ohtm27
    I would take out the fruit. I know people won't like it

unless you have problems digesting fruit, there's no need to avoid it. been there, done that. no difference.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Back2zero will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    no one has yet to give me an answer please help people!!!! after training i go to bed around an hour later, so what should i have before bed???????????????xxx
    Why don't you try a few combos and see what works for you?

One thing is for sure, after your WO (straight after), you need protein and a high GI carb. A shake and a fruit or a shake and dextrose is great. After that, it depends on how your body reacts to certain foods; some will say no carbs others will rip their head off... you need to figure out what works for you.
    Looking straight ahead

daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You need more food, more protein and more fat. And more complex veggies.
    Government is for slaves
    Free men govern themselves

BJJ + Navy log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164870361

Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000)
    Eating before you fall asleep won't make you fat. Is that what worries you? Since technically it will be your post work out real meal .. It should contain the same as any other meal. Protein, fats and carbs. If you work out in the evenings or even in the mornings, you're going to be keeping the bulk of your carb intake around that time. So since you work out in the evenings, you will be keeping those carbs up in meals 3-6. PWO shake is not a meal, not even if you add stuff to it(I feel like a broken record).
    So meal an hour after work out - say 3oz chicken,3oz yam, drizzled with a teaspoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, add a dash of salt and pepper, even some mixed green veggies if you want. Ta da meal 5. The right before you go to sleep eat about .5cup of cottage cheese and some (1 tbsp)peanut butter, (.5oz-1oz)almonds, (.5oz)walnuts, or (.5oz)cashews(unsalted for all).
    Jonathan Alexander was born 8-11-08
    8-11-08: 5lbs 12oz, 19 inches long
    8-13-08: 5lbs 6oz
    8-25-08: 7lbs, 19.5 inches long
    10-14-08: 11lbs 12oz, 21.75 in. long

parvelo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking I hate egg whites, What can I do?

Hi, recently I've started dieting for my transformation, 'cause I wanto to compete in Figure. The problem is that ever since, I know me I can't deal with egg whites. I can't even swallw them, is horrible! I've tried lots of different ways of cooking them and it doesn't work. I want to do it, but I swear to God that I can't eat egg whites, they make me throw up! seriously, and sorry for the graphic term. I'm desperate to know what can I do for that, if I can sustitute them for egg beaters or something else. If you can help me with that I will apprecited. Also, what other diets I can do that doesn't involve eggwhites. Well, thanks for your help!

ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ohtm27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I hate egg whites, I don't use them. I put prot pwdr with my breakfast so I don't have to eat them (yuk) can't stand them. Or you can omit with the lean prot. I do that too!

bed time meal

I have had 2 different trainers and both have said no dairy...so I'm confused about all the suggestions to have cottage cheese! What I have been having now is I have dinner at 5:30 pm then I workout at 7 pm then I have my PWO at 8/8:30 then at around 9:30/10 I'm hungry so I have a piece of chicken and maybe a few grapes or strawberries? Is that ok to do?
    Thanks

As Ninja said, you need good fats, carbs, and protein after a workout...dairy is fine as long as you don't have problems with it

Talking why can't it just be simple haha!!

it is so confusing why can't it all be simple!! i want to get the best results but its all about what to eat when!! simple carbs! complex carbs! fibrous carbs!! haha!! when veg can i eat when? when can i eat good fats? are complex carbs the main carbs u should have? apart from PWO (dextrose)??????????

bed time meal

So I think what I'm hearing is that the chicken is of but I should add some good fat and carbs to that...one more question...should the carbs be veggies or like the yams, rice, extra or both?

Thanks....everyone is being very helpful...this is great!

Also how can you tell if the dairy is not for you? I have eaten it and have not but do not notice any difference....and I retain alot of water and I believe that CC is high in sodium.

Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000) Ninja J is just really nice. (+1000)
    it is so confusing why can't it all be simple!! i want to get the best results but its all about what to eat when!! simple carbs! complex carbs! fibrous carbs!! haha!! when veg can i eat when? when can i eat good fats? are complex carbs the main carbs u should have? apart from PWO (dextrose)??????????
    It's only as confusing as you make it.

That because sadly trainers aren't that reliable.

Originally Posted by cindyw
    So I think what I'm hearing is that the chicken is of but I should add some good fat and carbs to that...one more question...should the carbs be veggies or like the yams, rice, extra or both?

Thanks....everyone is being very helpful...this is great!

Also how can you tell if the dairy is not for you? I have eaten it and have not but do not notice any difference....and I retain alot of water and I believe that CC is high in sodium.
    I retain water easily, and have issues with sodium, and have to watch my intake carefully. However, I have yet to have any sort of ill swelling issues from cottage cheese. So not sure how to help you there.

If you have to ask, then you digest it just fine.

If it's the post work out meal .. then it should have a variety. It can be both, yams and veggies, or just one or the othere. Doesn't really matter. Might as well have them both though.