Huckleberry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Does swimming burn fat efficiently?

I recently started swimming laps as part of my workout routine. Right now I do weight training a lot more than cardio and am trying to lose in the abdomen area as everything else is fine.

Will swimming burn fat efficiently or is it better to run an incline?
    What other benefits are attributed to swimming?

All comments welcome.
    Last edited by Huckleberry; 08-17-2006 at 10:45 AM.

JMN5764 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think both forms of cardio are great... but it ultimately comes down to diet. You can't spot reduce, and I know for me as well as others the fat on your abs is generally the last to go. I'm cutting right now and i've lost about 4 pounds in the past 2 1/2 weeks from a tighter diet and cardio 6 times a week.

Also, I've been talking to a guy at the gym, and he's been swimming laps after his workouts for the past month and says he gets a better cardio workout than running... if that counts for anything

Good luck with your goal

needamir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needamir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needamir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needamir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needamir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needamir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You might want to try skipping rope. Once you get the hang of it, it will be an excellent way to sweat and burn fat. Personally, I find it better than both runnign and swimming.
    ~M.O.I~

Real World Boxing Advice djartek's Avatar
    djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I remember one of the male swimmers at the USOTC back in 98-2000 era that was taking in about 4000+ calories a day of anything and everything and he sure was ripped to shreds by doing tons of laps a day.
    But I guess both running and swimming will burn fat but I guess it does depend on your diet and on your intensity...mind you this guy was swimming miles a day at high intensity.

project2501 is on a distinguished road. (+10) project2501 is on a distinguished road. (+10) project2501 is on a distinguished road. (+10) project2501 is on a distinguished road. (+10) project2501 is on a distinguished road. (+10) project2501 is on a distinguished road. (+10) project2501 is on a distinguished road. (+10) project2501 is on a distinguished road. (+10) project2501 is on a distinguished road. (+10) project2501 is on a distinguished road. (+10) project2501 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    good cardio yes good for fat loss no
    i read somewhere i can never remember where that your body will keep fat to keep warm if subjected to the colder water temp. i dont recall ever seeing a swimmer with descent muscle mass and being cut. i could be wrong

Real World Boxing Advice djartek's Avatar
    djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/o...a_usswim_i.jpg
    They guy in the above link doesn't look like he is carrying to much fat to me...he's no mr. olympia but he doesn't have a decent muscular frame