Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how do Gorillas get so muscular with so little protein

This may be a weird or tricky question, but I have been wondering about it, and thought this might be the place for someone to give me a hint:
    The consumption of protein always plays a major role in the discussion of nutrition for body builders. However, let's have a look at our closests relatives whose genetic information is about 99% the same as ours: the Gorilla. They are impressively muscular animals, and yet their nutrition consists primarily of leaves and fruits. How do they do this? Is there any essential difference between humans and gorillas that I fail to see? Or can it be a hint that humans don't really need that much protein to build muscles? I don't know if anyone will have suggestions on this, but they will be appreciated.

muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sbamst
    This may be a weird or tricky question, but I have been wondering about it, and thought this might be the place for someone to give me a hint:
    The consumption of protein always plays a major role in the discussion of nutrition for body builders. However, let's have a look at our closests relatives whose genetic information is about 99% the same as ours: the Gorilla. They are impressively muscular animals, and yet their nutrition consists primarily of leaves and fruits. How do they do this? Is there any essential difference between humans and gorillas that I fail to see? Or can it be a hint that humans don't really need that much protein to build muscles? I don't know if anyone will have suggestions on this, but they will be appreciated.
    Firstly, gorillas are not out most closest relatives, chimps are.

Secondly, they haven't 'built' those muscles, they're born and have evoloved to to have dense muscle and thick/dense bones.
    "Don't count the days, make every day count"

sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbamst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by muirsy88
    Firstly, gorillas are not out most closest relatives, chimps are.
    right, sorry about that. I did mean gorillas, though.

rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000)

Talking

Genetics That, and the fact that they probably eat like a 100:1 ratio of carbs and protein means all that protein can be used for muscle, hehe.

Seriously though, I vote for the genetics.
    Steve

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    - Dr. Seuss

Body like a stone, mind like a meatloaf.
    - Eric Cartman

Whiteknight55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Gorillas actually do consume more protein than it appears at first glance. They get a significant amount (compared with just leaves) from insects and insect larvae/eggs on the plants that they eat.
    Male, 27
    5'11"

NINJA SPIRIT - The Ancient Art of Lunacy!
    www.ninjaspirit.com

moodz is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodz is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodz is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodz is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodz is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodz is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodz is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodz is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodz is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodz is on a distinguished road. (+10) moodz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Gorillas are on roids, without PCT
    Never quit, it's a bitch to come back..

Deiboe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deiboe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deiboe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deiboe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deiboe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deiboe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deiboe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deiboe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deiboe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deiboe will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deiboe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by moodz
    Gorillas are on roids, without PCT
    ****in gorrilas, I knew it!

monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) monkeydan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sbamst
    Is there any essential difference between humans and gorillas that I fail to see?
    I bet your girlfriend's hot.
    Awesome. Awesome to the max.

Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500)
    cows are pretty strong and muscular and eat only grass.

i know some vegetarian bodybuilders who are pretty built, without meat. they still get protein from other sources than meat, but not as much.
    Maybe it's hatred I spew, maybe it's food for the spirit
    Maybe it's beautiful music I made for you to just cherish
    But I'm debated disputed hated and viewed in America
    as a motherf**kin drug addict - like you didn't experiment?
    Now now, that's when you start to stare at who's in the mirror
    and see yourself as a kid again, and you get embarrased
    And I got nothin to do but make you look stupid as parents
    You f**kin do-gooders - too bad you couldn't do good at marriage!

muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Genetics, genetics, genetics.

Just because you eat protein, doesn't mean you get jacked. You need to lift weights, and gorillas certainly don't have access to a Golds Gym

Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Just because you eat protein, doesn't mean you get jacked. You need to lift weights, and gorillas certainly don't have access to a Golds Gym
    Sometimes I wish they did have access to a Gold's Gym, it would save me from the unpleasant sights in my local YMCA locker room

Dave P has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave P has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave P has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave P has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave P has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave P has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave P has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave P has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave P has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave P has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dave P has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Saying "how do they get so muscular" implies that somewhere there is a gorilla that despite eating insects and leaves 24/7, he just CANT put on any muscle.

Ever seen a gorilla with tiny calves and skinny arms?

If an entire species is built then it obviously isnt conditioning or diet...its genetics.

hmmm I smell the demand for GGH increasing (Gorilla Growth Hormone)

powerhouse_78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm no zoologist, but I assume that gorillas were designed much differently than the human body, even inspite of our obvious similarities.

But then, think about predator animals, like lions, jaguars, sharks, etc. All have VERY muscular bodies, and are mainly carnivors.

So likewise, why wouldn't it make sense that the food requirements of human beings fall somewhere in between these two extremes?

davee21525 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by monkeydan
    I bet your girlfriend's hot.
    hahahaha

PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A similar question is how cattle can grow large and fat eating just grass.

Well grass is low in protein but the eat a LOT of grass, and they eat all day long.

Taking it Seriously Now.. Cortic's Avatar
    Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cortic has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by rotlex
    Genetics That, and the fact that they probably eat like a 100:1 ratio of carbs and protein means all that protein can be used for muscle, hehe.

Seriously though, I vote for the genetics.
    Bump for Genetics

Oh and jsut as a side note, imagine if they trained a gorilla to get i tnhe gym and do some bp/deads/squats while on BCAA's... How fkn big could he get???

.....Kong????
    Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.

willbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OK so now Gorillas are as strong as all heck, but arent some insects like hundreds of times stronger than a gorilla ??

Bill

Originally Posted by willbird
    OK so now Gorillas are as strong as all heck, but arent some insects like hundreds of times stronger than a gorilla ??

Bill
    Absolutely....relative to their own size and mass they're the strongest living things on the planet

Tingly like Beta-Alanine! alkemyst's Avatar
    alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Absolutely....relative to their own size and mass they're the strongest living things on the planet
    hmm no that would be members of the insects if you are relating size / mass vs strength.

If insects/anarchnids were to get to the size of say a medium to large dog...they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I just wanted to add, everyone should know the answer to this...if you were locked in a freaking cage with a female gorilla that 'wanted' you, you'd get pretty big fast to fend that crap off.

Probably worse than a PITA prison for a 120lb 20 year old.

/\ Trollin deez posts \/ Legolas69's Avatar
    Legolas69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legolas69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legolas69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legolas69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legolas69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legolas69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legolas69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legolas69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legolas69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legolas69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Gorilla genetics are designed to operate on a low protein diet. Human genetics are not. Humans are always going to use the vast majority of protein we consume for energy because that's what is best for our survival. You need barely any protein to build muscle, in this sense: Let's assume that muscle is 80% water, which is probably less than the actual number, which varies. That means there's 200 grams of protein per pound of muscle. That's nothing. If your body was designed to use almost all of the protein you eat to build muscle, you'd have no problem getting huge.

Unfortunately, we're all human.

Originally Posted by alkemyst
    hmm no that would be members of the insects if you are relating size / mass vs strength.

If insects/anarchnids were to get to the size of say a medium to large dog...they'd be a force to be reckoned with.
    that's what relative means

that's what relative means
    Well relative to their own size, it's not gorillas.

Try the simple ant.

SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SUSprinter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You guys are all retarded.

Everyone knows that gorillas follow the bodybuilding msg board ever popular oats in the morning, eat every 3 hours, chicken breast, hard boiled egg whites, no drinking, no drugs, they sleep at least 8 hours every night, they don't party, they very rarely engage in sexual intercourse to keep test levels high.

Thats the only possible explanation. How else would they get muscular? It makes no sense. They have to do these things/

matt555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt555 is on a distinguished road. (+10) matt555 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Daily routine:

6am-8am: Wake-up
    8am-10am: Eat
    10am-2pm: Eat, play, relax, sleep
    2pm-5pm: Travel 300-6,000 feet - foraging on the way
    5pm-6pm: Build nest
    6pm-6am: Sleep

Eating:

Gorillas eat some 200 types of leaves, tubers, flowers, fruit, fungus and some insects. Favorite foods include bamboo, thistles and wild celery. Gorillas do not drink water. They obtain all the moisture they need from the vast amounts of foliage they consume. Males consume approximately 50 lbs. a day.

source:http://www.koko.org/about/facts.html

And now I'm depressed I'm not a gorilla.
    I'm not overweight, I'm undertall

TXGUNS is on a distinguished road. (+10) TXGUNS is on a distinguished road. (+10) TXGUNS is on a distinguished road. (+10) TXGUNS is on a distinguished road. (+10) TXGUNS is on a distinguished road. (+10) TXGUNS is on a distinguished road. (+10) TXGUNS is on a distinguished road. (+10) TXGUNS is on a distinguished road. (+10) TXGUNS is on a distinguished road. (+10) TXGUNS is on a distinguished road. (+10) TXGUNS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Threads like this are the reason I come here every day. This is good stuff.

I personally think that guerillas stay strong by engaging in hit-and-run campaigns against the "regular army" and rival factions... wait a minute. I think there may be a spelling error in my post.

Originally Posted by alkemyst
    Well relative to their own size, it's not gorillas.

Try the simple ant.
    That's why i said insects (In my previous post) - not gorillas. Some guy asked about insects...I said yes, they're the strongest creeatures relative to their size.

*I'm almost forgetting this thread is in the nutrition section*

Read right over the insect part sorry.

SparkyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    higher testosterone levels
    higher growth hormone levels
    slower metabolism
    different genetics

Mr Phillips has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Now this I would pay to see, a Gorilla all strapped up deadlifting 900lbs.....with no spotter of course.