Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 5'5", 154 lbs
    romajc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) romajc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) romajc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) romajc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) romajc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) romajc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) romajc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) romajc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) romajc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) romajc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) romajc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit romajc's BodySpace

When to eat my protein, carbs, and fats?

Just wondering what times during the day are most beneficial for eating certain foods. Like are there certain times that it would be better to eat carbs or proteins or fats? I am on a bulking diet but would like to keep the fat gains as low as possible, thanks.

BodyPoints: 435
    ripped_holla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ripped_holla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ripped_holla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ripped_holla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ripped_holla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ripped_holla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ripped_holla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ripped_holla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ripped_holla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ripped_holla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ripped_holla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit ripped_holla's BodySpace
    I put all my starchy carbs in the morning and around my workouts. So on a workout day, I'd be eating a (mostly) protein/carb meal, workout, postworkout shake (high protein/carbs), postpostworkout meal (high protein/carbs), then taper off into meals with mainly protein/fats.

I try to eat protein with every meal. Starchy carbs (bread, pasta, potatoes, oats) only in the morning and then before/after my workouts. Outside of those times, my main carb sources are fresh fruit and tons of vegetables. If you're looking to eat a lot of calories (I'm aiming for 3000 these days) then you might have to adjust that a little bit as I'm now discovering. It's somewhat difficult to hit 3000 cals and have a good macro% breakdown unless starchy carbs are consumed at least until early afternoon (usually the 3rd meal of the day for me).

These rules certainly aren't hard and fast but I do believe they have merit. Your body processes carbs better in the morning and they help replenish energy stores for the day. While simply eating carbs "at night" won't magically make you fat, I still prefer not to. Carbs are your body's initial "go-to" energy source, so why shovel them in right before you're about to sleep for 8 hours? I'd rather eat a good protein source with some healthy fats (peanut butter and cottage cheese, for instance).

When you start thinking of food as FUEL, you'll start to understand this pretty quickly. What does your body, your machine, need for a given situation? Pre-workout and post-workout you need good protein and lots of carbs. Evenings you're probably not as active so no need for tons of starchy carbs. On less active days, less starchy carbs. And vice versa. On days immediately following a workout, maybe an extra protein/carb meal to enhance recovery before tapering into protein/fat meals. On a given day with 6 or 7 meals, I will probably have 3-4 P/C meals and 2-3 P/F meals. If I workout in the evenings, then I'll have a P/C for breakfast and then P/F up until preworkout, then back to P/C for the rest of the evening (since you NEED carbs postworkout, regardless of time of day). The "trick" is finding what foods you can easily use to create worthwhile P/C and then P/F meals. C/F meals are a huge no-no.

If you want to get into the whole "nutrient timing" aspect I recommend reading articles by Dr. John Berardi. There's also a book out there called "Nutrient Timing" that I'm actually waiting to be delivered from Amazon (can be gotten rather cheap).
    Last edited by ripped_holla; 08-14-2006 at 03:28 PM.