TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Torn Labrum and Surgery

OK, I have been dealing with a bad shoulder for almost a year. After going through the whole run of taking time off, stretching, seeing a Ortho, getting a cortizone shot, PT (from a guy who works in MLB) and finally getting an MRI, I finally know what is wrong. The Ortho said I had a classic "slap tear" of my labrum. I am scheduled to have surgery on Sept. 19. He told me I could pretty much continue to work out in pain until then because it is already ripped all the way through. His caveat was don't do anything stupid to make it worse.

I am very happy with my Ortho as he is the head surgeon for an Arena Football Team and head of Sports Orthopaedics at a very good hospital. Plus he is young and appears to be in very good shape. He has come highly recommended.

I am trying to figure out how to deal with this whole thing. I am kind of mentally freaking out right now. I have been told that I will be in a sling ofr 6 weeks and by four months will be able to start lifting again, albeit light. 6 months out they told me I would be back to wear I was before. Has anyone else ever dealt with something like this? I figured initially I would do a lot of walking and recumbant bike (which I will buy so I can ride while watching football this fall). After the intial hurt goes away I also figure I can do some limited leg exercises, press and other seated exercises which I will not use my right arm at all in.

Anybody who has been through something like this could you please let me know if you really did recover. I am in very good health now and am just scared to death of turning into a fat arse over the next couple of months. Working out was my one really big stress relief and time off from everything. I am having a hard time figuring out how to deal with this, athough I know it is the right thing to do because I am fairly young and should heal up quickly. Thanks in advance.

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TaxG8r00
    OK, I have been dealing with a bad shoulder for almost a year. After going through the whole run of taking time off, stretching, seeing a Ortho, getting a cortizone shot, PT (from a guy who works in MLB) and finally getting an MRI, I finally know what is wrong. The Ortho said I had a classic "slap tear" of my labrum. I am scheduled to have surgery on Sept. 19. He told me I could pretty much continue to work out in pain until then because it is already ripped all the way through. His caveat was don't do anything stupid to make it worse.

I am very happy with my Ortho as he is the head surgeon for an Arena Football Team and head of Sports Orthopaedics at a very good hospital. Plus he is young and appears to be in very good shape. He has come highly recommended.

I am trying to figure out how to deal with this whole thing. I am kind of mentally freaking out right now. I have been told that I will be in a sling ofr 6 weeks and by four months will be able to start lifting again, albeit light. 6 months out they told me I would be back to wear I was before. Has anyone else ever dealt with something like this? I figured initially I would do a lot of walking and recumbant bike (which I will buy so I can ride while watching football this fall). After the intial hurt goes away I also figure I can do some limited leg exercises, press and other seated exercises which I will not use my right arm at all in.

Anybody who has been through something like this could you please let me know if you really did recover. I am in very good health now and am just scared to death of turning into a fat arse over the next couple of months. Working out was my one really big stress relief and time off from everything. I am having a hard time figuring out how to deal with this, athough I know it is the right thing to do because I am fairly young and should heal up quickly. Thanks in advance.
    I went through the same things you did.... even went as far as not doing any pressing movements (chest or shouders) for 3 months and still no improvement. I did however improve my back and legs during this time!

I had the surgery done in Jan of 1997, had my arm in a sling for a couple of weeks... I even did Smith Machine squats with it during this time and slowly began working out. It took about 3 months of light workouts before I felt comfortable doing more... but more I did.

In the summer of 1998 I won my weight class in the State show and also at the NPC USA championships at age 42!

So don't worry too much... it'll come back with proper rest and taking it slow. I feel just as strong or stronger now then back then so you'll have a 100% recovery.

nuff said...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TaxG8r00 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the reply.

Now I am wondering how I should handle the next four months after surgery without lifting. I am planning on continuing cardio as permitted. I know early on I will have to walk and ride a recumbant bike. After that I will use a stair machine and elliptical, plus do seated leg machines/presses which don't even get close to using my one arm.

Anyone else with shoulder/bicep or other arm surgery, how did you cope with the time down? I am so afraid of becomming a big fat lazy lard arse. I know I will lose a lot of muscle mass, but hope that I can at least stay lean.

Should I even consider one arm workouts for my side which is not affected?

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't think I'd use the other side for lifting... it would probably get too much bigger than the injured side.

How are your legs compared to the rest of your body? If you're like most people they are lacking in size and strength. Try using this negative down time and turn it into a positive up time and give your legs a good working out during the recovery period. Good heavy leg workouts will help keep you focussed and staying in the gym and also provide natural testosterone release and help build your body nearly all over.

nuff said...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Most Muscular
    I went through the same things you did.... even went as far as not doing any pressing movements (chest or shouders) for 3 months and still no improvement. I did however improve my back and legs during this time!

I had the surgery done in Jan of 1997, had my arm in a sling for a couple of weeks... I even did Smith Machine squats with it during this time and slowly began working out. It took about 3 months of light workouts before I felt comfortable doing more... but more I did.

In the summer of 1998 I won my weight class in the State show and also at the NPC USA championships at age 42!

So don't worry too much... it'll come back with proper rest and taking it slow. I feel just as strong or stronger now then back then so you'll have a 100% recovery.

nuff said...

Great post by most muscular! You will be back! My surgeries were all on my knees and ankles. Thats a total of 5. Each time I put extra effort into getting the joint that was to be repaired into as best possible condition and strength as I could. The best result and fastest healing has a lot to do with what conditioning it was in before the surgery! Since all 5 of my sugeries were on my lower extremities I was back in the gym as soon as I didnt need cruthes..people were nice enough to help me load and unloat plates and I was back to training my upper body full steam ahead within 4 weeks after each reconstruction..even if I couldnt carry a plate myself. I also was on a sationary bike 2x a day.

No reason you can do leg extenrions, leg curls, stationary bike, and there may be a few leg press machinges that ivolves your should little to none. Just look at it as a different approach and you focusing on lower body...do those crazy 20, 30, 40, and 50 reps sets for your legs that make your quads feel like someone is pouring acid in them with the best pump of your life.

Again, YOU WILL BE BACK, and until then work those legs.