McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Front Squats on Smith Machine?

Would you guys recommend these? I've tried freeweight, but somehow it just feels really uncomfortable and wrecks up my shoulders. On the smith, I can not only do it comfortable, but it feels like my quads are isolated and get the best pump ever. I switched to these from regular back squats after I read a few articles on how front squats are generally better for taller people.
    The world is yours.

*WiNgS*2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump

ZachG_85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It would be hard as hell to do so, in my opinion.

The only thing I don't understand is how if they hurt your shoulders normally, they'd hurt any less on a SM?

Regardless, front squats are actually just like back squats in that you have to find the sweet spot. Don't pull your arms up to parallel with the ground, again Ronnie's video is a good idea of how to do things. Just pull your elbows out and up far enough to keep the bar along your shoulders, but below your collarbone.

Ironman1536 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironman1536 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironman1536 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironman1536 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironman1536 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironman1536 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironman1536 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironman1536 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironman1536 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironman1536 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ironman1536 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah bro. The smith machine isnt all that great, free weights are always better. I dont like the grove of the smith mahcine a straight line up and down.
    Stats:16
    "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" Heb 11:1

Contest Status:
    NPA Mr. Teenage Virginia
    Npa Tri Cities Regional Mens lightweight first place

Hercules_D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hercules_D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hercules_D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hercules_D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hercules_D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hercules_D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Hercules_D has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Re: Front Squats on Smith Machine?

Originally posted by McMahon
    Would you guys recommend these? I've tried freeweight, but somehow it just feels really uncomfortable and wrecks up my shoulders. On the smith, I can not only do it comfortable, but it feels like my quads are isolated and get the best pump ever. I switched to these from regular back squats after I read a few articles on how front squats are generally better for taller people.

Well if it puts pain on your shoulder go to the machine instead.

Even though free weights are better,I wouldn't risk an injury.

bigkid is just really nice. (+1000) bigkid is just really nice. (+1000) bigkid is just really nice. (+1000) bigkid is just really nice. (+1000) bigkid is just really nice. (+1000) bigkid is just really nice. (+1000) bigkid is just really nice. (+1000) bigkid is just really nice. (+1000) bigkid is just really nice. (+1000) bigkid is just really nice. (+1000) bigkid is just really nice. (+1000)
    I used to do all the front squats on the smith. Once you figure out how unlock the bar and keep it like that while you rep, then your set. They feel real good. Give them a try and see what you think.

Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kimchi604 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i have a muscle and fitness magazine pointing out that smith machine squats have exactly the same effect as barbell squats on the Quads.. but on the stabalizer muscles its not as effect as the barbell squat.. that's pretty obvious.. but anyways the point here is to maybe start off with 4-5 sets of barbell back squats.. then do smith machine front squats after that to really isolate those quads..

I say do freebar front squats. Hit all the stabilizers with extra emphasis on the quads.

They really aren't that hard once you find the comfort spot.

Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've done them on the smith press when the squat rack is being used, but I don't really like them. Then again, I don't really like front squats that much at all.
    "Government should stay the hell out of people's business." - Senator Barry Goldwater

Originally posted by Ulyanov
    I've done them on the smith press when the squat rack is being used, but I don't really like them. Then again, I don't really like front squats that much at all.
    Gasp!

Front squats are the best, bro. Once you get used to them, you realize that they hit your quads harder than anything else, and make sure you don't turn the exercise into a good-morning.

Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Ulyanov has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I just use regular back squats for my quads, I don't worry about hitting specific muscles so much. I'd rather train with a limited number of exercizes that cover as many muscles as possible.
    "Government should stay the hell out of people's business." - Senator Barry Goldwater

chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chaos17 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    every time ive done front squats ive done them on smith machine....they seem to work really good for me on the smith...but how heavy do you guys usually go on the freeweight front squats? cuz i think im gonna try those now
    Pain is nothing but weakness leaving the body....

John Henry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do olympic front squats.

Originally posted by John Henry
    Do olympic front squats.
    Because of course the rack grip makes such a difference on the quads.

*WiNgS*2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i gotta use the smith machine for all squats... no squat rack... im gonna try front squats for the first time tonight

John Henry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Use this grip
    Attached Images

Sorry, misunderstood your reason for posting the Olympic thing, JH.

hehe

Yeah that'd take a lot of pressure of the shoulders, if your wrists and elbows can handle it.

FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do not like SM machine. The bar is fixed in a set path. They do not take into account of every person is built different. People who have often done them have complained of lower back pain and knee pain. Stick with the free weight front squats.

KC
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

http://fortified-iron.com/board/entry.php?2-FortifiedIron-Wave-Progress-For-Strength-Training

Per Ferrum, Ad Astra- Mel Siff

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ^^do you have permission to put a link to your site in your sig? Big H is very ban happy about links to other sites without permission from Ryan
    Booo

FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Use this grip
    Got to love them olympic lifters for doing everything how its ment to be done!

KC
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

http://fortified-iron.com/board/entry.php?2-FortifiedIron-Wave-Progress-For-Strength-Training

Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Stormrider has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Use this grip
    :O FREAK! That's nuts.

Amazing to know Olympic lifters are known for there 1000lbs squats without wraps,belt, or suit!

KC
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

tygersol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tygersol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tygersol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tygersol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tygersol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tygersol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tygersol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tygersol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tygersol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tygersol is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tygersol is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It should be fine so long as you dont go crazy heavy. Get teh form down then bump teh weight up if need be.
    "you were cheaper to feed when you ate crappy" - mom

weight-165 age-18 dead-295x5| 320
    squat - 285x10 | 300 2 accidents so far(lol) (TY squat rack)
    bench- 160x5 :( |175

Courage is the knowledge of what ought to be endured. ~ Philo

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.
    Ambrose Redmoon