maui built has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question What's up with that?

I can lift more with db's then a bb when doing flat chest presses. I have no problems cranking out a good set with 90 lb. db's as compared to 150 lbs bb. What's up with that? Which is better for building a thick chest, db's or bb? I do mix things up to keep my body guessing. I just want to up the weight on my bb bench press. Also, how do I bring up the middle part of my chest? More so the upper middle if this makes any sense. I do plenty of incline presses. I heard lying pull ups might help.

bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bango skank is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I tried to bench with 75lb dumbbells the other day and couldnt get the frickin things up into position. How do you get the db from the floor to your shoulders without a total $hitstorm? I figured barbells were the only way to go when the weights got up that high...
    There is no greater natural advantage in life than to have an enemy overestimate your faults, unless it is to have a friend underestimate your virtues.
    -Don Vito Corleone

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166936131

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    my guess......when using db's you are somehow shortening up the motion.....you are bringing the db's down until you touch your chest with the biggest part of the dumbell...so the handle is like 3-4" off your chest....if you translated that to barbell the bar would never touch your chest, it would be like 3-4" off your chest

that is my guess....or, you are adding the weight up wrong on the barbell, lol

if you can bench 90's on db you should be able to do at least 250 on barbell
    "Humility comes before honor"

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by bango skank
    I tried to bench with 75lb dumbbells the other day and couldnt get the frickin things up into position. How do you get the db from the floor to your shoulders without a total $hitstorm? I figured barbells were the only way to go when the weights got up that high...

easy....you pick up the db's off the rack....you walk to the bench and sit down and sit the db's on your knees.....then, holding the body steady, you rock back onto your back and the db's just come up as you rock back.....you keep the arms close to locked out or at least halfway bent...you dont let the db come all the way down to your chest when you rock back

if you are really slick you can reverse the motion (bring the knees up to meet the dumbells and rock back forward) after the set and stand up with the db's so that you can re-rack the dbs without having to drop them
    "Humility comes before honor"

That's the way I do it. Nice and simple.

Originally Posted by John Prophet
    my guess......when using db's you are somehow shortening up the motion.....you are bringing the db's down until you touch your chest with the biggest part of the dumbell...so the handle is like 3-4" off your chest....if you translated that to barbell the bar would never touch your chest, it would be like 3-4" off your chest

that is my guess....or, you are adding the weight up wrong on the barbell, lol

if you can bench 90's on db you should be able to do at least 250 on barbell
    Thanks John Prophet, I'll check this out next time it's chest day....

pow! right in the kisser FOOTBALL FAN's Avatar
    FOOTBALL FAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) FOOTBALL FAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) FOOTBALL FAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) FOOTBALL FAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) FOOTBALL FAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) FOOTBALL FAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) FOOTBALL FAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) FOOTBALL FAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) FOOTBALL FAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) FOOTBALL FAN is on a distinguished road. (+10) FOOTBALL FAN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bango skank

I sit up straight holding them above my knees then lay back with the momentum lift the dumbells in place
    -TEAM COLEMAN-