mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What to use for Hypers or Reverse Hypers

Im looking to strengthen my lower back, and was thinking about investing in a hyper extension bench. I read some westside articles that rave about reverse hyper extensions. Unfortunately the only benches you can do these one, cost literally an arm and sometimes a leg.
    I found this machine

ROMAN CHAIR GLUTE & HAM STRING MACHINE (Glute / Ham & Reverse Hyper Machine)
    I think newyorkbarbells also sells it.
    Could you do both regular and reverse hypers on it?
    Anyone own it? Sturdy?

http://www.fitness-equipment.com/aca...ion_13 0.html

third unit down

and

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/82626.html

It seems you can do hyper extensions and the Glute/Ham Excercise. And possibly a Reverse Hyper? Do you think the range of motion is lacking on this for Reverse Hypers? Id probably have to stick a dumbbell between my ankles for resistance.
    Or should I just go with a regular hyperextension bench? Since I havent tried either, I dont really know whats best for my back and upping my lifts.
    (This thread may belong in the equipment section, but I dont seem to get as good feedback there as I do here. I need someone who can testify to these excercises and even evaluate the machines)

Thanks

Badass in Training *supermomma*'s Avatar
    *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The first link wasn't working... but anyway, I use the decline bench. (Not the plate loaded machine one, but the regular one.) I am short tho, so this works well.

My husband tried to do it and he was too tall, it was very awkward for him.

Man I miss my college gym...

They are good exercises, I don't think that is in question. The NY Barbells setup looks similar to what my college gym had, just newer and a little nicer. I guess sturdiness is basically weight dependent (the equip, not you)... or maybe you anchor it?
    Friends don't let friends use pink dumbbells.

admin @ realbodiestraining.com

mostsolid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mks
    Im looking to strengthen my lower back, and was thinking about investing in a hyper extension bench. I read some westside articles that rave about reverse hyper extensions. Unfortunately the only benches you can do these one, cost literally an arm and sometimes a leg.
    I found this machine

ROMAN CHAIR GLUTE & HAM STRING MACHINE (Glute / Ham & Reverse Hyper Machine)
    I think newyorkbarbells also sells it.
    Could you do both regular and reverse hypers on it?
    Anyone own it? Sturdy?

http://www.fitness-equipment.com/aca...ion_13 0.html

third unit down

and

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/82626.html

It seems you can do hyper extensions and the Glute/Ham Excercise. And possibly a Reverse Hyper? Do you think the range of motion is lacking on this for Reverse Hypers? Id probably have to stick a dumbbell between my ankles for resistance.
    Or should I just go with a regular hyperextension bench? Since I havent tried either, I dont really know whats best for my back and upping my lifts.
    (This thread may belong in the equipment section, but I dont seem to get as good feedback there as I do here. I need someone who can testify to these excercises and even evaluate the machines)

Thanks
    mks:

Deadlifts and squats can as well strengthen your back greatly.

mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mostsolid
    mks:

Deadlifts and squats can as well strengthen your back greatly.
    Im actually deadlifting and squatting (on rippetoes program).
    I just wanted to include them as accessory work, since I have a weak back, and have injured it before

piportil_l4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piportil_l4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piportil_l4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piportil_l4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piportil_l4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piportil_l4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piportil_l4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've read lot about GH raises, they are good for hammys, but they dont need an specific machine, with a 90º romanian chair you're ok .
    Past month I wanted to buy a romanian chair 90º for just $60 , but I think better goto that gym, lower back exercises needs proper (dynamic) warming-up ,and if you're in home, maybe you dont do it, and things goes bad .

Also light weighted classic Good Mornings are excellent
    Nobody gives me rep...:(

mostsolid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mks
    Im actually deadlifting and squatting (on rippetoes program).
    I just wanted to include them as accessory work, since I have a weak back, and have injured it before
    mks:

You should be fine with those bud, just as long you progress with those 2 exercises your lower back will be strong enough. But if you feel you want to incoporate those then sure by all means go ahead.