taoofjord has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taoofjord has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Do muscle retain a pump or just stay larger for up to 2 days after lifting?

After lifting I can feel the difference in my muscles when they are pumped up. However, the pump may fade but up to 2-3 days after the work out my muscle still feel bigger. Then, after those few days, they feel a lot smaller all of a sudden. What's the deal?

Excuse the thread's title :P Don't know how to edit it though...
    Last edited by taoofjord; 08-09-2006 at 08:30 AM.

Message Board King best regards's Avatar
    best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    its in your head. DOMS makes everything feel weird. I personally feel bigger with DOMS as well.
    Goal of June football camp = 400lb squat

Farwell, my friends. I'll be back some day. Just need to get my head screwed on straight.

"Thank you O God for saving the earth from the asteroid.... the one you just sent"

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Na, it's probably not really in your head. Muscles go through various states of nutrient and fluid loading post workout. Your going to go flat a couple days after you lift. Welcome to how big you really are.

For long term positive size gains, make sure you maintain a focus on adding weight to the bar.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by VikingMan
    Na, it's probably not really in your head. Muscles go through various states of nutrient and fluid loading post workout. Your going to go flat a couple days after you lift. Welcome to how big you really are.

For long term positive size gains, make sure you maintain a focus on adding weight to the bar.
    exactly thats the only way you'll grow to your maximum potential.

Farwell, my friends. I'll be back some day. Just need to get my head screwed on straight.

"Thank you O God for saving the earth from the asteroid.... the one you just sent"

taoofjord has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taoofjord has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by VikingMan

I am currently doing a push/pull on MWF (alternating each day). I do every exercise to 8 reps:

Push
    Leg Press 4x8
    BB Bench Press 4x8
    St Military Press 3x8
    Weighted Dips 3x8
    Weighted Crunches 3x10

Pull
    Leg Ext 2x8
    Leg Curl 3x8
    Weighted Pullups/Chins 3x8
    Bentover BB Row 2x8
    Seated Cable Row 2x8
    Shrugs 3x8
    Weighted Hyperextensions 3x10

(I can't do Squats and Deads until my back heals)

Anyway, with a few of the exercises I can't hit 8 reps anymore. Should I drop the weight for those by 20 lbs or so and build back up again or should I keep adding to the weight until I can't get even 5 reps before resetting?

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hmmm. Couple thoughts. I don't know that I would simply keep banging away while adding the weight till I couldn't even get 5 reps. That implies failure is a regular event, which is quite hard on your CNS. That said, I think working down into lower rep ranges with heavier weight is always a good idea.

An environment like a push pull is conducive to do your A workout with one rep range then your second A workout with another. So you could do your push routine with 8s the first time you run it, then with 5s the second time you run it. Same with the B workout. Make sense? Simultanously working in the two different rep ranges gives you a nice mix of more pure strength work, and hypertrophy work, which helps with long term gains.

Though I wouldn't actually work down into the lower rep ranges for things like crunches, dips or hypers. I like to stay in higher rep ranges for those.

Routine looks good overall. Try to get back to the deads and squats, when you can. Starting light, obviously.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

Originally Posted by taoofjord
    I am currently doing a push/pull on MWF (alternating each day). I do every exercise to 8 reps:

Push
    Leg Press 4x8
    BB Bench Press 4x8
    St Military Press 3x8
    Weighted Dips 3x8
    Weighted Crunches 3x10

Pull
    Leg Ext 2x8
    Leg Curl 3x8
    Weighted Pullups/Chins 3x8
    Bentover BB Row 2x8
    Seated Cable Row 2x8
    Shrugs 3x8
    Weighted Hyperextensions 3x10

(I can't do Squats and Deads until my back heals)

Anyway, with a few of the exercises I can't hit 8 reps anymore. Should I drop the weight for those by 20 lbs or so and build back up again or should I keep adding to the weight until I can't get even 5 reps before resetting?
    yes that would work ntil you're able to squat and dead. once you are, I would definitely follow the 5x5 or some other program written by one of those guys.