pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000)

The Beginner's Guide to Building a Home Gym

I don't frequent this forum much, but I've already noticed the amount of "What do I need?" threads. So I'll make this short and sweet...

First off, you need to consider how much money you are willing to spend. Let's face it, home gyms are not cheap, but they probably save you money in the long run. If money is an issue (which is almost always the case), be picky in selecting equipment. Search for the best deals on ebay, craigs list, and your local sports store.

Now, what do you NEED?

First and foremost you need weights. You can't lift without them. You can get a 300 lbs of olympic weights for $110 (including a barbell). If you pay more than that, you are getting ripped off. Places like Modells, The Sports Authority, and Dick's will run sales at this price. Now for me, 300 lbs was not quite enough. So I bought 2 more 45 lbs plates. It cost be $50! If I were to do it all over again, I would have just got 2 300 lbs sets. With a barbell and weights alone you can get a heck of a lot done.

The second piece of equipment I would get is a power rack. There are thousands of types on the net. I got mine for $370 INCLUDING shipping and handling. If you are ordering this on the net, be sure shipping and handling is included or else your looking at another $200.

Next, I'd probably go for an adjustable bench. You should get one that can be adjusted to incline, decline, flat, and at a 90 degree agle. You should be able to get a sturdy one for $90, if not cheaper.

Finally, I'd go to Walmart and get a pair of adjustable dumbbells for $20.

Anything else you get is just icing on the cake. If your really tight on cash, get creative. Build yourself some equipment if your handy.

So for the equipment listed your looking at $600 (if my math's correct). Gym pass, gas to and fro, its not that much more expensive. And its open 24 hours a day!

Hope this helps, feel free to add stuff...
    Last edited by pali012; 08-08-2006 at 05:33 PM.

Burns23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Burns23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Burns23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Burns23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Burns23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Burns23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Burns23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Burns23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Burns23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Burns23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Burns23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    nice job, it will help plenty of people. i just finished my basic home gym. i got a powerline squat rack for $140 which is a cheaper solution to getting a power rack

JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000)
    EXCELLENT post! This should be a sticky.

One nit to pick, though. That adjustable dumbbell from Walmart takes standard plates, so it won't work with Olympic plates.

I agree 100% with your other suggestions.

pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JustLost
    EXCELLENT post! This should be a sticky.

One nit to pick, though. That adjustable dumbbell from Walmart takes standard plates, so it won't work with Olympic plates.

I agree 100% with your other suggestions.
    Yep, thats true. I believe you can buy a olympic curl bar and olympic dumbbells at walmart for about $30.

JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000) JustLost is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by pali012
    Yep, thats true. I believe you can buy a olympic curl bar and olympic dumbbells at walmart for about $30.

You're right. I ended up getting a little bit better pair of dumbbell handles for about $50, because I didn't like the quality of the cheaper set. Ant any rate, the Olympic set/power rack/bench to start with is the best way to go, IMO, and your suggestiong about amkinggear is right on.

final_identity has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) final_identity has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I found an amazing adjustable bench at WalMart for about $50. It's by Danskin, and will do (near) upright, incline, and flat. Very sturdy.

Plus, you left out they need A FLOOR MAT for abs. I know, I know, you can do your abs on a towel on the floor, but heck, if you're gonna buy a whole danged power rack, you can spring for the foamy thing. And if you own the "official" equipment, you're much more likely to do the exercises that it's designed for. Abs abs abs abs ...

maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) maidenfan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Heres an article by Dave Tate I used to base my home gym on http://www.muscleforum.co.uk/printth...7820&type=post

Brian1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brian1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brian1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brian1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brian1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brian1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brian1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brian1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brian1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brian1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Brian1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by maidenfan
    Heres an article by Dave Tate I used to base my home gym on http://www.muscleforum.co.uk/printth...7820&type=post
    there aren't any pics on that site though..

2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    joining a gym i'd say is better. easier to change weights, drop sets etc... but again it may depend on your gym i train at quite a hardcore one so the atmosphere is good if you train at some comercial gym full of old people it may not be so good.
    Authentic British Muscle

Tannoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cheers on the post Pali.
    Am thinking of ditching the gym and doing it at home now that I have a bigger place. Thanks!

Jadexa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by final_identity
    I found an amazing adjustable bench at WalMart for about $50. It's by Danskin, and will do (near) upright, incline, and flat. Very sturdy.

Plus, you left out they need A FLOOR MAT for abs. I know, I know, you can do your abs on a towel on the floor, but heck, if you're gonna buy a whole danged power rack, you can spring for the foamy thing. And if you own the "official" equipment, you're much more likely to do the exercises that it's designed for. Abs abs abs abs ...
    I bought this bench also and it's a great little item ... nothing to assemble and light enough to carry it out of the store in its own case, but it's "sturdy" as you say ... mine was approximately $39.

Something else I love about working out at home...

The ability to choose my own workout music. I simply bring my computer speakers into the garage, plug it into my iPOD, and have the ability to listen to anything I choose.

Bro-Tech lady-killer dblbassted's Avatar
    dblbassted is just really nice. (+1000) dblbassted is just really nice. (+1000) dblbassted is just really nice. (+1000) dblbassted is just really nice. (+1000) dblbassted is just really nice. (+1000) dblbassted is just really nice. (+1000) dblbassted is just really nice. (+1000) dblbassted is just really nice. (+1000) dblbassted is just really nice. (+1000) dblbassted is just really nice. (+1000) dblbassted is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Burns23
    nice job, it will help plenty of people. i just finished my basic home gym. i got a powerline squat rack for $140 which is a cheaper solution to getting a power rack
    Love that rack... as long as I have a spotter.

To the OP... good post.

T Bone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T Bone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T Bone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T Bone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T Bone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T Bone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T Bone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T Bone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) T Bone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes very good info. I wish I had that info before buying and outgrowing two different multi station machines and a Nautilus rack. I now (this last friday) settled in for the Powertec power rack, free weights, a good bench and power blocks. I need a bigger garage.

Great Rollins quote too!

massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10) massofgas is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    indeed there needs to be a faq sticky in this section

weight set + squat rack + bench are the bare essentials to a home gym

throw in adjustable dbs + treadmill/bike + lat machine + weight tree + matting + grippers + chin/dip station + weight/dip belt + mirror (to check form) + fan and you'll have everything you'll ever need
    for around $2000
    Last edited by massofgas; 08-21-2006 at 04:18 AM.

fenwick458 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Advantages of a Home Gym
    10. Rock out to your own music.
    9. Toss some iron around with your friends in a casual environment.
    8. Train WHENEVER you want.
    7. Chalk it up!
    6. Make noise, drop weights and grunt as you please.
    5. No gym membership fees.
    4. No fat, hairy dudes struttin' it in the locker room.
    3. No aerobics instructors to warn you about the dangers of deadlifting.
    2. The power rack will not be occupied by a mullet doing curls.
    1. No shoes, no shirt, no problem