Registered User lithuanian_girl's Avatar
    lithuanian_girl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Upper/Lower Split 6 days a week

Hi,

I am back from my long vacation, getting back on track with my training and do want to start Upper/Lower Body routine. Have been doing two body parts a day (each twice a week) routine up until this point.
    Here are my questions:
    I train every morning at 5AM 6 days a week with Sundays off. Usually lift 30- 45 minutes and finish up with 30 - 45 min cardio
    Is it ok to alternate upper/lower body for those 6 days ( end up training each body part 3 times a week) or is that too often?
    Would 6-8 exercises (3 sets each) per workout would be too much?

The next question is about pre-workout meal. As I said , i train very early in the morning usually 20 minutes after waking up. I have been training on empty stomach for as long as i remember. I don't feel dizzy or weak in the gym, but don't want hinder my results if that is what preventing me to get rid off "soft" look..... Is it really very important to eat something so early in AM? and if so , what could that be - no cooking or time consuming?

p.s I am 5'4 , 118 lbs. I would love to be around 110 - but not skinny fat as i tend to be.

Thank you all in advance

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ok
    1) Yes, 6 days a week is too much, you will end up overtrained. You can do 4 days a week + 2 days of cardio + 1 off day if you wish.
    2) I'd say 6 exercises 3 sets OR a mixture like:

4 exercises 3 sets (compounds)
    3 exercises 2 sets (isolations)

is the maximum.

And post your example, so we can look at the volume
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

www.********.com/hotnfitcom

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ok, if you are skinnyfat, then you should be aiming for 120 lbs with less fat and more muscle, NOT weighing 10 lbs less.

Read my article here.

Yes, eat something. In fact, since you want to eat so close to working out, I suggest a whey protein + milk shake + a banana.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

my new program?

Thank you!... i guess I knew the answer is going too be that it's too much, had to ask anyway
    I took your advice and also went back to the posts and replies that were given to me a while ago ( before my loooong vacation) and this is what i came up with. Let me know if this still would be too much , not enough , anything doesn't make sence etc... I try to stay within 8-10 rep range

MONDAY: Upper Body 1

Bench Press 3sets
    BB row 3sets
    Assited Dips 3 sets
    Assited PullUps 3sets
    Cable tric pushdown 2 sets
    Bicep Curl 2 sets
    Lateral shoulder raise 2 sets

HIIT

TUESDAY: Lower body 1

Squats
    SLDL
    Lunges:
    Step-ups
    3 sets each exersice
    ABS

WEDNESDAY
    SS cardio 45-60 min

THURSDAY: Upper Body 2

incline Bench press 3sets
    Back extensions 3 sets
    Assited Dips 3 sets
    Lat Pulldown 3 sets
    Cable overhead extension 2 sets
    Hammer curl 2 sets
    Shoulder Front raise 2 sets

HIIT

FRIDAY: Lower Body2
    Plie Squats (sumo squats)
    Lunges
    Reverse lunges
    Split squats
    3 sets each exersice
    ABS

SATURDAY

60 minute jog outside

SUNDAY : OFF

As i said these workouts are done first thing in the morning. I was thinking of incorporating pilates 1-2 x a week at night , since i want to lean out my legs and i heard that really helps...

Is that still too much or would be about right? Keep in mind the volume in this pogram for weight training and especially cardio is way reduced from what I am used to...
    I greatly appreciate all your advice.

Edited below:
    MONDAY: Upper Body 1

Bench Press 3sets
    BB row 3sets
    Assited PullUps 3sets
    Cable tric pushdown 2 sets
    Bicep Curl 2 sets
    Front shoulder raise 2 sets

HIIT

TUESDAY: Lower body 1

Squats
    SLDL
    Lunges
    back extensions
    3 sets each exersice
    ABS

WEDNESDAY
    SS cardio 45-60 min

THURSDAY: Upper Body 2

incline Bench press 3sets
    Lat Pulldown 3 sets
    dumbbell shoulder press 3 sets
    Assited Dips 2 sets
    Cable overhead extension 2 sets
    Hammer curl 2 sets
    Shoulder lateral raise 2 sets

HIIT

FRIDAY: Lower Body2
    Plie Squats (sumo squats)
    DB Step ups
    Split squats
    Leg Curls
    Back extensions
    3 sets each exersice
    ABS

SATURDAY

60 minute jog outside

SUNDAY : OFF
    Pilates won't lean out your legs dear.. only cardio and diet can do that.. so I would scratch that idea. The most it would do is overtrain your abdominals.

I suggest that you do just 2 sets each for the first 2 weeks, and then up it to 3 sets, as this will allow your body to get used to the exercise a bit.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

thanks again...
    so you mean two sets for every exersice upper and lower body? Other than that - exersice selection, frequency , cardio would be right on target this time?

Ok, everything that said 3 sets, start with 2 sets for the first 2 weeks.

If you are not used to the cardio, start the HIIT with 10 minutes (+5 warmup + 5 cooldown) and gradually raise the time; and the steady state cardio with 30 minutes (+5 min warmup +5 min cooldown) and gradually raise the time. Where by gradually I mean ~2 min increase each time until you get to what you listed in your program. HIIT up to 20 min (+5 warmup +5 cooldown)

For rest periods, take ~90 sec rest between sets (best to use a watch for this).

Warmup sets - sets where you are working up to your target weight are NOT included in the 2-3 sets. You should do 1-2 warmup sets on your first leg lift on leg day, and on your first each of back and chest lift on upper day.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

oh no no i think it is my english and i said it wrong - I am actually used to way more cardio and weigth training that this new program entails. i am used to doing 1hour to 1.5 hours of cardio a day somemtimes split into two wokouts a day. And I am used to lifting for every day . I am trying hard to change my mentality that more is better...... So the routine that I layed out is already much less to what I am used to...... in that case would it be ok to leave 3 set for those exersices?
    thank you so much for you taking time to look at this, terracota

Originally Posted by lithuanian_girl
    oh no no i think it is my english and i said it wrong - I am actually used to way more cardio and weigth training that this new program entails. i am used to doing 1hour to 1.5 hours of cardio a day somemtimes split into two wokouts a day. And I am used to lifting for every day . I am trying hard to change my mentality that more is better...... So the routine that I layed out is already much less to what I am used to...... in that case would it be ok to leave 3 set for those exersices?
    thank you so much for you taking time to look at this, terracota
    Yeah, the way I have it laid out in post 5, with no alterations would be great

Your english is fine
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

Thanks again! Looking forward to the gym time tomorrow - hopefully my workouts will be more efficient now
    I just need to get some banannas and get into habit having a protein shake before the workouts. I have NEVER eaten before working out yet.... One step at a time.