shyam_k has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Protein shake for definition?

Hi,

I have been using protein shakes after my workouts and have bulked up enough muscle.However, now I am trying to lose fat by means of cardio and obtain definition by doing more reps (15-20).

Should I still continue to drink whey protein after my workouts even though I do not want to bulk up? My goal is to lose fat and get ripped. What other foods do you recommend?

thanks

Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Flex500 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by shyam_k
    Hi,

I have been using protein shakes after my workouts and have bulked up enough muscle.However, now I am trying to lose fat by means of cardio and obtain definition by doing more reps (15-20).

Should I still continue to drink whey protein after my workouts even though I do not want to bulk up? My goal is to lose fat and get ripped. What other foods do you recommend?

thanks
    no offense but it is evident you don't really know what you are doing. That's fine though I didn't either about 3 years ago. So first things first......

1. YES KEEP DRINKING PROTEIN. In fact on a cut you need more protein to maintain your muscle mass. Just don't drink it with milk. To lose the fat you need to eat less calories. People usually do this by cutting out the carbs and some fat. Do NOT cut out protein. On a cut I like to eat around 1.25 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Eat at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.

2. Yes do cardio that is good. Doing cardio and cutting down the calories is what you need to do to get "cut".

3. Please get this out of your head; "obtain definition by doing more reps (15-20)." Keep lifting hard and heavy. Diet and cardio dictate how lean or ripped you will get. You need to keep lifting hard with your normal lifts. High reps do not get you ripped. All high reps do is build local muscular endurance. You will be much more apt to lose muscle by lifting in the 15-20 rep range.

Originally Posted by Flex500
    no offense but it is evident you don't really know what you are doing. That's fine though I didn't either about 3 years ago. So first things first......

1. YES KEEP DRINKING PROTEIN. In fact on a cut you need more protein to maintain your muscle mass. Just don't drink it with milk. To lose the fat you need to eat less calories. People usually do this by cutting out the carbs and some fat. Do NOT cut out protein. On a cut I like to eat around 1.25 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Eat at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.

2. Yes do cardio that is good. Doing cardio and cutting down the calories is what you need to do to get "cut".

3. Please get this out of your head; "obtain definition by doing more reps (15-20)." Keep lifting hard and heavy. Diet and cardio dictate how lean or ripped you will get. You need to keep lifting hard with your normal lifts. High reps do not get you ripped. All high reps do is build local muscular endurance. You will be much more apt to lose muscle by lifting in the 15-20 rep range.
    Thanks, will follow what you said. How often should I do cardio then? I have a tight schedule, is three/four times for 20-30 min enough?

MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    meh, doesn't make a difference IMO provided you are eating adequate protein during the day
    Supplement free,
    healthy eater.

acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    3-4 times a week is plenty. If you're lifting 3 times a week and doing cardio the other 3-4, then you're training just about every day. You can probably cut that back a little if you start to feel it's too much.

Also, I have to disagree with Flex on the milk thing. Post-workout should be the LAST place you cut your calories, especially on a cut. After your muscles are depleted from a workout, it will be highly improbable that anything you eat immediately after will be stored as fat. A post workout shake with plenty of carbs and protein (0.5 g/lb of LBM and 0.25 g/lb of LBM respectively, approximately) will not interfere with your cut, and will help you maintain muscle mass by preventing you from staying catabolic after your workout.

Cut carbs from your other meals during the day, but keep your breakfasts and post-workout meals as your biggest meals of the day.

Oh, and right on about the reps thing. Work out exactly like how you did while you were bulking, assuming what you were doing was working well. Higher reps will not make you more cut.
    Last edited by acidburrito; 08-07-2006 at 08:13 PM.

thanks man