Wolf Climbing The Hill dangoody27's Avatar
    dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Bulking on a Budget

Hey guys got this from the BN forums, thought you may wanna check it out. Props to J1Q.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

I often hear in my journeys around forums and the gym, "How can you guys afford to eat the way you do?" Well, this got me thinking. So, i figured it was time to break out the calculator and get to work. I hate the thought of someone not making gains in the gym because they believe it costs to much money for them to get the nutrients they need to put on size. I am here to say, you can "Bulk on a Budget" and it not drain your checkbook dry.

I will be writing this up as a weeks worth of food. I will only be including food in this portion of the article, as i will hit on the supplements later on.

So, without further delay, lets take a look at our shopping list....

1- 2lb container of Quick Oats = $1.62
    This has 31, 1/2 cup servings. 1 servings has a nutritonal value of 140 calories, 2.5 grams of fat, 26 carbs, 5grams of protein.
    If you consume 2 servings of oats per day, that equals 15 days worth of servings. Which is well over a weeks worth for around $0.81/week.

7 Dozen Eggs = $4.83 ($0.69/dozen)
    During a bulk, i try to consume a dozen large eggs daily. I usually break it down into 8 Whites & 4 with yolks.
    The nutritinal value of one large egg is 77 calories, 5 grams fat, 1 carb, 6 grams protein. So, if eaten as suggested above you can consume 484 calories, 56 grams protein, 20 grams fat, 10 carbs.

1- bag of Chicken Breast = $8.99
    It is hard to find a better source of lean meat than chicken. Most generally you will get anywhere from 7-10 chicken breasts in a bag. So, one bag should get you through the week. A single 8oz serving will provide you with around 220 calories, 46 grams protein, 1 gram fat.

7- cans of Tuna = $4.13($0.59/can)
    Yep, we have all had our fill of tuna but honestly, how can you beat it. You get 150 calories, 32 grams protein, 1 gram fat

4 - Brown Rice = $4.20($1.05/box)
    This is an excellent source for your carbs. Hard to beat brown rice to get those calories and carbs in. 1 box should be enough for 2 meals. So 4 boxes will last you all week. 1 cup of brown rice has a nutritional value of 240 calories, 45 carbs, 5 grams protein, 2 grams fat.

1- 10lb bag of Potatoes = $3.50
    i personally, wouldn't go through a bulk without potatoes somewhere in my diet. I make potatoes a staple while bulking. The amount of carbs you get from a single potatoe is almost unbeatable. I eat mine raw, bulk most people prefer to bake them. A potatoe is very low in sodium and saturated fat as well. It is also a good source of fiber. 1 large potatoe will provide you with around 280 calories, 64 carbs, 7 grams protein. Sweet Potatoes are also good if you wish to substitute.

2 - Loafs Weat Bead = $2.60($1.30/loaf)
    Wheat Bread is yet another good source of fiber. I usually eat 4 slices per day. The value of one slice is 70 calories, 1 gram fat, 13 carbs, 3 grams protein

1 - Jar Peanut Butter = $1.20
    Peanut Butter is a good source of calories. I would watch eating too much though, as it is also high in fat. 2tbsp of peanut butter has a value of 190 calories, 16 grams fat, 6 carbs, 8 grams protein.

4 - boxes of Kraft Mac & Cheese = $2.40
    What bulk would be complete without Mac & Cheese. This will provide you with a nice amount of calories along with many needed carbs during your bulk. 1 cup of mac & cheese will get you around 260 calories, 50 carbs, 3 grams fat, 11 grams protein.

4 - cans Spinach = $2.80($0.70/can)
    I know, i know many of you probably have your noses turned up about right now. But, the reason i throw spinach in the mix is because of it's incredible source of fiber and phosphorus. If you can, i would highly recommend adding this green into your diet. 1 cup of spinach has 50 calories, 1 gram fat, 7 carbs, 6 grams protein. If you just can't stomach the Spinach any other source of veggies is good. I will sometimes substitute it out with Southern Ranch Style Beans for a nice change.

1 - package of Lean Hamburger = $8.00
    Another great source of protein. I would recommend at least 95% lean to cut down on some unwanted fats. You can prepare this numerous amounts of ways. You could probably eat a different meal everday preparing this in various fashions. 1 3oz patty is loaded with 151 calories, 22 grams protein, 6 grams fat.

2 - gallons of milk = $7.00(3.49/gallon)
    During a bulk i like to mix my protein with milk. With 8 ounces of milk, you get 10 more grams of protein and about 80 more calories in your shake.

Well, that just about sums it up. I would throw some fruit in their. I left it open as most fruits are generally all good. I personally choose banannas for the potassium benefits.

Now that we have a genral idea of the foods we will most likely include into our bulk, lets look and see how much we will be set back weekly. It appears our grand total for a weeks worth of food will be right around $47.00. Not to bad if you ask me. Not when you consider that a few of those will last you a little longer than a single week and the breakdown of nutritional values daily.
    Everything i listed equates daily to somewhere approximately around:

2665 Calories
    220 grams Protein
    261 Carbs
    59 grams Fat

I believe this to be a good start and basis for a bulking cycle. Once you throw in a couple of protein shakes and a couple tbsp's of Flax Oil and/or Fish Oil you will be above the 3000 calorie mark and above 300 grams protein.

So, in conclusion i believe we can all go through a bulking cycle without it breaking the bank
    "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great." - Tom Hanks

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do you buy your eggs in bulk?, here in montreal, eggs are usually 2 bucks and some change for a dozen, and ive never seen chicken breasts frozen in a bag here.....if someone from montreal or canada has, plz let me know where..also, one jar of peanut butter usually costs me around 3.50...

samuraibill will become famous soon enough. (+50) samuraibill will become famous soon enough. (+50) samuraibill will become famous soon enough. (+50) samuraibill will become famous soon enough. (+50) samuraibill will become famous soon enough. (+50) samuraibill will become famous soon enough. (+50) samuraibill will become famous soon enough. (+50) samuraibill will become famous soon enough. (+50) samuraibill will become famous soon enough. (+50) samuraibill will become famous soon enough. (+50) samuraibill will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i don't know what you guys in canada have but there are places like Sam's where you can get 6 dozen for $6 american or cheaper.
    I refuse to tip-toe throught life just arrive safely at deaths door.

concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can get tuna, chicken, oats and beef for a lot cheaper at Costco or other wearhouses than the original post.
    "If you immediately know the candle light is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago"

dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is true. I get most of my stuff at Costco too, but some aren't as fortunate. Eggs, Chicken, Salmon, Oats, Meat, Peanut Butter, etc...they got everything in bulk there.
    "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great." - Tom Hanks

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

rperin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rperin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rperin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rperin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rperin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rperin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rperin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rperin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rperin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rperin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rperin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Tag. Going to view this article later.

lylos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lylos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lylos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lylos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lylos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lylos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lylos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great, I needed this thread.
    "I just want something I can never have..." - Trent Reznor

Rippetoe Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=852244

Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Markus87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yeah, my folks dont have a membership at costco, , it sucks being a broke student.....

Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Goofxta is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Really good post.

Scared of Cottage Cheese such a loser yo's Avatar
    such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) such a loser yo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i love costco's canned salmon. it is the only kind i've seen that comes in big chunks, rather than mushed up as if it were tuna.

great effort on this post, even though i wouldn't totally agree with the diet.

lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by such a loser yo
    i love costco's canned salmon. it is the only kind i've seen that comes in big chunks, rather than mushed up as if it were tuna.

great effort on this post, even though i wouldn't totally agree with the diet.
    Aldi's has it in chunks too. you get some of the nice calcuified spine too, adds a bit of crunch to the fish.

The plan looks good, beyond issues of cost, which vary from state to state, and nation to nation.
    Best of luck!

LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Tuna for bulking? I don't even like that **** when I'm cutting. McD's $1 menu should be a staple in every ecto's bulking diet. The double cheeseburgers are pure greatness in a paper wrapper. The next trick is lots of whole milk, olive oil, and whey.

Remus 13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Remus 13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Remus 13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Remus 13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Remus 13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Remus 13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Remus 13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Remus 13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great thread!

concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000) concept is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dangoody27
    This is true. I get most of my stuff at Costco too, but some aren't as fortunate. Eggs, Chicken, Salmon, Oats, Meat, Peanut Butter, etc...they got everything in bulk there.
    Yea, the 9 pound box of oats and the enormous jars of peanut butter goes a long way.
    "If you immediately know the candle light is fire, then the meal was cooked a long time ago"

ASIAN NIGHTMARE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ASIAN NIGHTMARE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ASIAN NIGHTMARE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ASIAN NIGHTMARE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ASIAN NIGHTMARE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ASIAN NIGHTMARE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ASIAN NIGHTMARE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ASIAN NIGHTMARE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ASIAN NIGHTMARE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ASIAN NIGHTMARE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ASIAN NIGHTMARE is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you're on a budget buy chicken breasts with the bone and skin on then debone and take the skin off before freezing them. Its a pain in the ass but its a LOT cheaper than boneless skinless. Buy cheap cuts of beef and marinate them overnight. LOTS of tuna!!
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about, and that's not being talked about". -- Oscar Wilde

"The only people who tell you that you can't do things in life, are people who failed"-Chris Jericho.

I would also add:

olive oil (mix it with tuna)
    rasins
    fruit (costco has good deals on bananas and what not)

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by concept
    You can get tuna, chicken, oats and beef for a lot cheaper at Costco or other wearhouses than the original post.
    yeh definitely, i get my stuff quite a bit cheaper than some of the prices quoted... the meat especially, and the rice. the bread however i pay more for... i think most of the cheap bread on the market isn't very quality stuff...chicken is chicken though, beef is beef (for the most part) and brown rice, is brown rice same goes with other little touched raw foods, cheap bread however is usually enriched refined flour. and as for kraft mac and cheese... dont even like it, thats not *real* cheese. bulk raisins for ur fruit is a good option, very cheap and very calorie dense plus good antioxidants and fiber, mostly only fruits i eat is bananas blueberries and raisins, it covers pretty much all the fruit benefits, unless u wanna eat like 2 watermelons a day, b/c that stuff is awesome for you.
    the difference in boneless skinless and with bone breasts isn't that much.. the bone is most of the added weight and price... whole chickens however... is another story and that is a good bit cheaper, at least at what i see, usually around .50 cents more for boneless skinless on sale over full chicken breasts with skin.
    Last edited by grapemaster; 08-07-2006 at 04:40 PM.

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dmblue
    are you serious?? im in toronto.. we have sams club and costco. and they even sell bagged frozen chicken in every single grocery food store in toronto and even in the smaller parts of ontario.

whats up with montreal???
    french, small portions prob