RaynMela will become famous soon enough. (+50) RaynMela will become famous soon enough. (+50) RaynMela will become famous soon enough. (+50) RaynMela will become famous soon enough. (+50) RaynMela will become famous soon enough. (+50) RaynMela will become famous soon enough. (+50) RaynMela will become famous soon enough. (+50) RaynMela will become famous soon enough. (+50) RaynMela will become famous soon enough. (+50) RaynMela will become famous soon enough. (+50) RaynMela will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question **OATMEAL : LOW GI or HIGH GI?**

To all,

Just wanna ask if oatmeal is considered Low GI or high GI, I have heard some discrepancies about whether or not it is low GI or high. Anyinfo to put this at rest would be great. Reason I am asking is that I use this 2 hours prior to working out because it helps me get a great workout, although I am tryin gto avoid High gi carbs and go for little low GI and alot of fibrous carbs.

ray

Witboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it depends on the brand you make

ìf you use some pre-made oatmeals that have sugar or honey or fruits or cinamon then it's high gi ( but they are the best tasting ones.) if you make your own lik ei do from all natural oats and just add some dried apricots you'll be way low GI

DIDACTIC BB "HCIC" TESTOSTERONE's Avatar
    TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000) TESTOSTERONE is a name known to all. (+5000)
    straight oatmeal with no added sugar has a glycemic ranking of 54 (aprox) which is considered low
    Last edited by TESTOSTERONE; 01-07-2003 at 07:08 PM.
    *GODSMACK*

Witboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it depends on the kind of oatmeal you eat.If you eat some of thebarnds that have honey, cinnamon , fruits, sugar in them they are high glycemic.

But if you eat the kind made you make yourself with real all natural oats ( add some dried apricots for low GI extra flavor) then it is low glycemic

Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Opting for the traditional old-fashioned oats (not the kiddie kind in the packages nor the instant kind in the tub) provides a low to moderate GI carb. However, even the GI of the aforementioned oats can be modified. For example, by eating the oats raw (yes, like a horse) will likely result in the lowest GI. Also, by cooking the oats longer, it is likely that the GI will go up, but I'm not sure to what extent. I am certain, however, that grinding or doing anything to cut the grains into smaller pieces will, in fact, raise the GI.
    Unstoppable Confidence

drvnwun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drvnwun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drvnwun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drvnwun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drvnwun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drvnwun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drvnwun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drvnwun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drvnwun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drvnwun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drvnwun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Timbo
    I am certain, however, that grinding or doing anything to cut the grains into smaller pieces will, in fact, raise the GI.
    I was wondering about this myself, as I eat oats several times a day-cooked, ground up in shakes, etc. But, if this is true, then would'nt simply chewing it raise the GI? BTW Timbo, congrats on breaking the 1000 post mark.

Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Timbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks, drvn! Didn't even catch that:-) It seems to be a similar phenomenon (grinding and chewing), but I can't say for certain. One probably cannot break the grain down as much in his/her mouth as a mechanical grinder/blender does. And it's the process of making the particles smaller and more accessible, while breaking up the grain, that raises the GI.
    Unstoppable Confidence