KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000)

closed grip to open grip

on your bench press, what the hell is the difference between closing your grip, and opening your grip

Chitown hitter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chitown hitter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chitown hitter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chitown hitter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chitown hitter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chitown hitter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chitown hitter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chitown hitter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chitown hitter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chitown hitter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chitown hitter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Closed is when your thumb is wrapped around the bar, open is when it is not. For instance, when I squat my thumb is not wrapped around the bar. This allows my wrists to be straight, elbows to go back as well as my shoulders. When I bench, I wrap my thumb around the bar so that it does not come crashing onto my nose.

You wrap when you can die, you don't wrap when your hands are not the part supporting the weight directly.
    "Don't expect to have a work ethic of a warrior if you have the attitude of a prima donna."
    ~Quote on EliteFTS

Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=799924

KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000) KaTaNa111 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i guess i shoulda been more clear, i knew what they were, but is there a difference relative to muscles it works and that kinda stuff. What are the physical benefits of the different grips

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by KaTaNa111
    i guess i shoulda been more clear, i knew what they were, but is there a difference relative to muscles it works and that kinda stuff. What are the physical benefits of the different grips
    Well, maintaining unbroken ribs is one benefit of using a closed grip on the bench press. But there aren't really any differences in muscle recruitment patterns. Grip width is how you change how muscles are recruited on a bench press.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

yesyoucan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

close grip-open grip

The difference between a close-grip bench press and and open grip bench press is the muscles its working. In an open grip bench press you're basically focusing on your pecs, however, in a close-grip bench press you're focusing more on your triceps.

alexk330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexk330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexk330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alexk330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by yesyoucan
    The difference between a close-grip bench press and and open grip bench press is the muscles its working. In an open grip bench press you're basically focusing on your pecs, however, in a close-grip bench press you're focusing more on your triceps.
    He's asking about the hands themselves, not the location of the hands.

But what you said is right of course

justinrwyas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, let me put this to rest.

As a novice, I would never suggest using an open grip; the more advanced you get and the more you start wanting to fine tune areas of your body, you can start switching to an open grip.

Now I will explain why you would use this:

When you use a closed grip, you are squeezing and putting more force on the bar; therefore, actually taking away some of the energy that could be used for pushing through. That being said, it also puts more emphasis on the chest (assuming your grip isn't too narrow). Lastly, it helps get a better spread on the chest, allowing for more ROM (range of motion). With my advanced clients who have trouble building their chest, we use this grip. But what do I know... I just work with athletes getting ready for college football and armature body builders.

Justin Wyas
    - NSCA
    - ISSA CFT & SCC

RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by justinrwyas View Post
    Well, let me put this to rest.

As a novice, I would never suggest using an open grip; the more advanced you get and the more you start wanting to fine tune areas of your body, you can start switching to an open grip.

Now I will explain why you would use this:

When you use a closed grip, you are squeezing and putting more force on the bar; therefore, actually taking away some of the energy that could be used for pushing through. That being said, it also puts more emphasis on the chest (assuming your grip isn't too narrow). Lastly, it helps get a better spread on the chest, allowing for more ROM (range of motion). With my advanced clients who have trouble building their chest, we use this grip. But what do I know... I just work with athletes getting ready for college football and armature body builders.

Justin Wyas
    - NSCA
    - ISSA CFT & SCC
    Really? This bit of insight is worth a 6 year thread necro? The position of your thumb makes no difference in muscle recruitment in anything but your forearms. Your thumbs are NOT connected to your triceps. True story. AND the amount of energy you use 'squeezing the bar' is negligible compared to the energy required to actually move the bar. Grip the damn bar and lift.

Whoops. Didn't realize you had all those cool initials behind your name . . . FWTHIW

justinrwyas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Guess you decided to, also, ignore and make no comment on the ability to get a better spread/ROM on the chest. Wow, this is exactly why I switched to FST-7; people there aren't buffoons when they reply to posts. Maybe you shouldn't be so negative on here. You may not agree with what I say; however, there are some people that can take something away from these posts - don't be that guy.

Justin Wyas
    - NSCA
    - ISSA CFT & SCC

RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Guess you decided to, also, ignore and make no comment on the ability to get a better spread/ROM on the chest.
    We're in agreement that beginner's should never use a thumbless / suicide grip. I don't understand how you feel it could benefit advanced trainees. How is your range of motion / spread negatively affected by having your thumb wrapped around the bar? After all, again, your thumbs are not physically connected to anything other than your forearm muscles. If I'm missing something, please enlighten me.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz

Justin Wyas
    - NSCA
    - ISSA CFT & SCC
    wat?

Ever heard of Dave Tate? You might want to Google his name, and learn how to Bench Press.

Step 4: Grip the bar tight

"Squeeze the sh*t out of it," Tate says. This will activate all the muscles in your hands, forearms, and triceps, and reinforce the tightness from your lower body and torso to the bar. "You should be pretty damned uncomfortable."

-Dave Tate

How about Jim Wendler? Surely you've heard of him.

Squeeze the bar – You must squeeze the bar as tight as possible when benching. This should be done on every attempt.-Jim Wendler
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 03-10-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733