JLopezBasketball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Which are best exercises for biceps and triceps during strength and power phase?

I just want to know which exercises are best for biceps and triceps during strength and power phase.

For biceps:
    Standing Barbell Curl, Close-Grip EZ Curl, or Medium-Grip EZ Curl or other?

For triceps:
    Pushdown or Lying Triceps Extension (on forehead) or other?
    Big Jo

BodySpace Profile - http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/JLopezBasketball

Athlete Bio - http://www.athletebio.com/usa1984m37

olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000)
    Biceps: The different grips just determine how much of the bicep is being used. Generally if your arms are on a flat bar the more of the bicep gets used and the less of the forearms. With an EZ curl bar it tends to be nicer on the wrists but more of the forearms come into play as well.
    You wanted to hit biceps so use the standard standing barbell curl.

Triceps: If you absolutely have to use one of these exercises the lying extensions are better because it gives you less chance to cheat. Its pretty much exactly the same movement for both, but in the standing version lots of people tend to lean forward, bringing their shoulders into it heaps.
    But really I prefer close grip bench or dips.
    I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength- Philippians 4:13

Originally Posted by olympic
    Biceps: The different grips just determine how much of the bicep is being used. Generally if your arms are on a flat bar the more of the bicep gets used and the less of the forearms. With an EZ curl bar it tends to be nicer on the wrists but more of the forearms come into play as well.
    You wanted to hit biceps so use the standard standing barbell curl.

Triceps: If you absolutely have to use one of these exercises the lying extensions are better because it gives you less chance to cheat. Its pretty much exactly the same movement for both, but in the standing version lots of people tend to lean forward, bringing their shoulders into it heaps.
    But really I prefer close grip bench or dips.
    Which do you think close-grip or medium grip EZ curl bar is better? Okay, I already have bar dips in workout A. I would like to use lying triceps extension in workout B.
    Big Jo

olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you want to use the EZ bar try to mimic the width of a normal barbell curl. So I would do the medium. If you can try to get used to the barbell though- the pain in your wrists goes after a few sessions.
    I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength- Philippians 4:13

shadowwalker021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadowwalker021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadowwalker021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadowwalker021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadowwalker021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadowwalker021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadowwalker021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadowwalker021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadowwalker021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadowwalker021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadowwalker021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    if you are training for power, for triceps, try reverse grip bench press, and skull crushers....

for biceps id say close, medium, and wide grip ez bar.

I don't know if you want the extra advice but if you are training for strength and power you are far better off training the olympic lifts with the basic 5-deadlift, squat, bench, row and military press.

Visit this site- http://danjohn.org/
    Read the free book he provides and also every article in the "old stuff" section.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by JLopezBasketball
    I just want to know which exercises are best for biceps and triceps during strength and power phase.

For biceps:
    Standing Barbell Curl, Close-Grip EZ Curl, or Medium-Grip EZ Curl or other?

For triceps:
    Pushdown or Lying Triceps Extension (on forehead) or other?
    If you're training for strength, do the exercises that allow you to move the maximum amount of weight. I'd be picking weighted dips and close-grip bench for the tris and weighted chins with an underhand or hammer grip for biceps before I even thought about any of those choices.

For bodybuilding, I like the isolation exercises that put those muscle groups in a stretched position like incline curls for the biceps and overhead extensions for the triceps. Almost any exercise can be effective. It's about learning to select the right tools for the job.

Lateral Raise Promoter RippedGuitarist's Avatar
    RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    If you're training for strength, do the exercises that allow you to move the maximum amount of weight. I'd be picking weighted dips and close-grip bench for the tris and weighted chins with an underhand or hammer grip for biceps before I even thought about any of those choices.

For bodybuilding, I like the isolation exercises that put those muscle groups in a stretched position like incline curls for the biceps and overhead extensions for the triceps. Almost any exercise can be effective. It's about learning to select the right tools for the job.
    Ditto. And for bodybuilding, I prefer to take skullcrusher behind the head, its easier on the elbows and it allows for the stretch that Dom is talking about.

I don't know if you want the extra advice but if you are training for strength and power you are far better off training the olympic lifts with the basic 5-deadlift, squat, bench, row and military press.

Visit this site- http://danjohn.org/
    Read the free book he provides and also every article in the "old stuff" section.
    I designed this total-body workout for athelete who has only three days a week to lift weights. The weight training phases is strength and power. Add 5 lbs to weighted exercises every two weeks. There are no dumbbells needed in this workout program.

Schedule

Day # 1: WORKOUT #1
    Day # 2:
    Day # 3: WORKOUT #2
    Day # 4:
    Day # 5: WORKOUT #1
    Day # 6: OFF DAY
    Day # 7: OFF DAY
    Day # 8: WORKOUT #2
    Day # 9:
    Day # 10: WORKOUT #1
    Day # 11:
    Day # 12: WORKOUT #2
    Day # 13: OFF DAY
    Day # 14: OFF DAY

Workout #1

Bench Press - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Pull-Ups (Body Weight) - 3 sets x Maximum Reps
    Military Press - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    EZ-Bar Curl - 3 sets x 6 Reps
    Bar Dips (Body Weight) - 3 sets x Maximum Reps
    Squat - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Power Clean - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Lying Leg Curls - 3 sets x 6 Reps
    Three-Way Standing Calves Raises (Three Sets Each Way) - 3 sets x 6 Reps
    Stiff-Leg Deadlift - 3 sets x 6 Reps
    Abdominal Crunches (Body Weight):Bent, Straight, And Rotary (One Set Each Crunch) - 3 sets x 30-Maximum Reps

Workout #2

Incline Bench Press - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Bent-Over Row - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Upright Row - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Close-Grip Bench Press - 3 sets x 6 Reps
    Squat - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Barbell Deadlift - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Glute-Hamstring Raises (Body Weight) - 3 sets x Maximum Reps
    Back Extension (Body Weight) - 3 sets x Maximum Reps
    Hanging Leg Raises (Body Weight): Bent, Straight, And Sides (Two Sets Each Raise) - 6 sets x 10-Maximum Reps

What do you think? What exercise should I change to better exercise?
    Big Jo

Originally Posted by _Dominik_

I designed this total-body workout for athelete who has only three days a week to lift weights. The weight training phases is strength and power. Add 5 lbs to weighted exercises every two weeks. There are no dumbbells needed in this workout program.

Schedule

Day # 1: WORKOUT #1
    Day # 2:
    Day # 3: WORKOUT #2
    Day # 4:
    Day # 5: WORKOUT #1
    Day # 6: OFF DAY
    Day # 7: OFF DAY
    Day # 8: WORKOUT #2
    Day # 9:
    Day # 10: WORKOUT #1
    Day # 11:
    Day # 12: WORKOUT #2
    Day # 13: OFF DAY
    Day # 14: OFF DAY

Workout #1

Bench Press - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Pull-Ups (Body Weight) - 3 sets x Maximum Reps
    Military Press - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Bar Dips (Body Weight) - 3 sets x Maximum Reps
    Squat - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Power Clean - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Lying Leg Curls - 3 sets x 6 Reps
    Stiff-Leg Deadlift - 3 sets x 6 Reps
    Abdominal Crunches (Body Weight):Bent, Straight, And Rotary (One Set Each Crunch) - 3 sets x 30-Maximum Reps

Workout #2

Incline Bench Press - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Bent-Over Row - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Upright Row - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Close-Grip Bench Press - 3 sets x 6 Reps
    Squat - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Barbell Deadlift - 3 sets x 3 Reps
    Glute-Hamstring Raises (Body Weight) - 3 sets x Maximum Reps
    Back Extension (Body Weight) - 3 sets x Maximum Reps
    Hanging Leg Raises (Body Weight): Bent, Straight, And Sides (Two Sets Each Raise) - 6 sets x 10-Maximum Reps

What do you think? What exercise should I change to better exercise?
    Big Jo

You asked me what I think... I think you should read the links I gave you and learn where real strength and power comes from and which exercises are going to give it to you.

You asked me what I think... I think you should read the links I gave you and learn where real strength and power comes from and which exercises are going to give it to you.

The link is not working, so give me correct link again. I learned from Bill Starr, Glenn Pendlay, and Mark Rippetoe about strength. I just like to create my own workout, so I don't have to follow their workout routines. I see their power workout without abs works. I need abs work in my workout. I would like to add more exercises. That's why I want to ask you what do you think. Is my workout bad program?
    Big Jo

The link worked fine for me... if it still doesn't work for you type "dan john" into google.

All those guys you mentioned wouldn't discourage core work- In fact I think they actively encourage it and most of their programs have core work stated in them.

Your workout program isn't bad- its a lot better than you one you were posting when you first got here, but some of the exercises seem a little airy fairy and I think you are just better off putting your focus into the big ones that work.

Registered User WittyManOfStyle's Avatar
    WittyManOfStyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WittyManOfStyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WittyManOfStyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WittyManOfStyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WittyManOfStyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WittyManOfStyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WittyManOfStyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For Biceps, NEVER do only isolations. You should do compound movements first, focus on that. Then add 1 or 2 sets of Iso's after you've completed the compound movements. For example...

Close-Grip Underhand Chin-Ups
    Or
    Close-Hammer-Grip Chin-Ups

With hands 2-3 inches apart, the Bicep is the primary mover. Once your finished with your work-sets, finish off with a set or two of Curls.

Of course, keep doing Pull Ups for lats, for that, you would still use a wider than shoulder width grip. With correct form, your Bi's wont be too tired, and you can do the Bi-Chins.

Same thing applies to Triceps. Most people when it comes to Bi's and Tri's ONLY do direct work. Not the best idea.

Try doing CGBP or Tricep Dips for your main work-sets, then finish off with Pushdowns or Lying Extensions.

Bicep Chins and Tricep Dips/CGBP will make your arms explode, MUCH MUUUCH faster than doing ONLY isolations. Good luck!
    I weigh...who cares? Scales don't tell sh*t.

I can lift *blah blah* ask me if I care.

Suffers from mazophilia RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you want to use the EZ bar try to mimic the width of a normal barbell curl. So I would do the medium. If you can try to get used to the barbell though- the pain in your wrists goes after a few sessions.
    you really think using a barbell is better than using an EZ Curl bar?
    Ravens fan and Gators fan 4 life

***Florida Gators Crew***

Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3
    you really think using a barbell is better than using an EZ Curl bar?
    For sure. Like I said before if you use the EZ bar you bring more of your forearms into play because its not too far off being a hammer curl. Using the standard bar you use more your biceps.
    People complain about the wrist pain- but its just like squatting with with a bar on your shoulders- the pain goes away after a few sessions.

The link worked fine for me... if it still doesn't work for you type "dan john" into google.

All those guys you mentioned wouldn't discourage core work- In fact I think they actively encourage it and most of their programs have core work stated in them.

Your workout program isn't bad- its a lot better than you one you were posting when you first got here, but some of the exercises seem a little airy fairy and I think you are just better off putting your focus into the big ones that work.
    Hey, the link works for me now. I love it already. However, do I have to do Clean & Press, Snatch, and Jerk? I would love to be powerlifter, but I am not going to be Olympic athlete. I am not an Olympic expert, so I am currently a thrower (shot put, javelin, and dicuss) for Div. I school. I don't have to do five exercises only: Squat, Deadlift, Power Clean, Chest Press, and Row, do I? I like to do balance between strength and power because I want to be strength in playing basketball. I don't need to do Clean & Press, Snatch, and Jerk.

Which is better for me Front Squat or Barbell Squat (bar on back)? Do I have to do Full Squat like Olympic athlete?
    Big Jo

For sure. Like I said before if you use the EZ bar you bring more of your forearms into play because its not too far off being a hammer curl. Using the standard bar you use more your biceps.
    People complain about the wrist pain- but its just like squatting with with a bar on your shoulders- the pain goes away after a few sessions.
    I have no problem with my wrist as I do EZ Bar Curl. I have no complain about squatting with a bar on my shoulders because I feel so so good. lol
    Big Jo

For the olympic movements at least do the clean and press.. thats the least technical out of the 3. But if possible learn all 3. They will improve your ability in throwing and basketball inside out. This is where you will develop your "power".
    Do those 5 basic exercises, add a few isolation exercises like standard curls and thats all you need for the strength aspect. Also some core work.

Both front and back squats are good. Front squats will hit more your quads and are good training for the olympic lifts. Back squats are awesome for overall leg strength- especially the olympic full squat variety. So yes that does mean you do need to go all the way down like an olympic squat and no that won't hurt your knees if you do it right.