Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 6'3", 234 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1023
    mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit mistahans's BodySpace

Ice Cream before Bed

OK, now before you rip me apart, let me explain. I am well aware of the problems with ice cream; high GI card, lots of sugar, lots of fat. It's just not a healthy food.

However, whenever I ask the huge guys at my gym what the best way to gain weight is, they all respond, "ice cream before bed." This just doesn't sit well with me. Why does everyone I might in real life say ice cream before bed is good, while all the people online say its crap?

So how many of u guys have actually eaten ice cream before bed in order to gain weight? Did it work?

And if not, what is some other kind of food I could eat a large amount of before I go to bed in order to gain weight the right way? I am already eating yogurt and cottage cheese, but what about something like oats?

BodyPoints: 661
    brayj789 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brayj789 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brayj789 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brayj789 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brayj789 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brayj789 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brayj789 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brayj789 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brayj789 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brayj789 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) brayj789 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit brayj789's BodySpace
    Actually, Icream is very low GI. Even though it has a lot of added sugar, it also has alot of fat which slows down the absorbion. Also milkfat and dairy's/lactose are VERY slow digesting, so overall its a very low GI food. But I wouldn't recomend eating a lot, its high in sat. fat and you could just as easily eat cottage cheese +peanutbutter for a MUCH healthier alternative. Definately not the best option
    Height- 5'6
    Weight - 142 - B.F 10%

Dymatize Elite W.P
    Universal Storm EVF
    Flax Oil
    L-Glutamine

"The One who lives in sunshine all the time will also live in a desert."

"God became man, so that man could aspire to become [like] God." St. Athanasius

Proud Member of the Antiochian Orthodox Church, part of Christ's one,holy Apostolic church!

U of U Operating Room Be Perfect's Avatar
    Be Perfect is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Be Perfect is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Be Perfect is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Be Perfect is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Be Perfect is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Be Perfect is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Be Perfect is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Be Perfect is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Be Perfect is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Be Perfect is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Be Perfect is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'd go with natty peanut butter at night along with the cottage cheese. At least the fats in the peanut butter are goods fats unlike the ice cream. You'll gain more lean mass that way and not as much body fat. You could also try a weight gainer or make one yourself
    Thank you and Good night!

Currently: 6'2, 190 lbs, 8-9% BF
    Goal: Gain Mass

http://www.myspace.com/6585362

BodyPoints: 864
    Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit Sezer_j's BodySpace
    Absolute ludicrous bull.

Unless you want to start looking like Fern Britton any time soon, I would take no notice whatsoever.

Healthy CLEAN diet, 5-6 meals a day, plenty of protein - balanced with sufficient carbs and fats, HARD training based around core movements, and finally REST... is what gains weight on a frame. Not damn ice cream. And especially before bedtime. You should not be taking in any carbs before bed, even on a bulk, and even clean sources, if you're looking to gain mass WITHOUT bodyfat.

If anybody replied with a comment like that to me, i'd take them to the moon and back, twice over.
    Last edited by Sezer_j; 07-29-2006 at 01:33 PM.
    Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts.

- Henry Rollins

50.CAL is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 50.CAL is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 50.CAL is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 50.CAL is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 50.CAL is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 50.CAL is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 50.CAL is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 50.CAL is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 50.CAL is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 50.CAL is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 50.CAL is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have actually been doing this for a week now and it works. I put on about 2 pounds this week.I added 2 scoops of vanilla ica cream, a scoop of casein protein powder and water, a few tablespoons of natty pb, some skim milk and 1/2 cups of cooked oats with splenda. I don't know how many calories that has but it seems to be working out well. But I won't be doing it for long maye 1 more weeks then i'll go with just casein.

Stats: 5'11", 198 lbs
    BodyPoints: 13574
    Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Madevilz's BodySpace
    People need to differentiate between mass and LEAN mass.
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

youthman is just really nice. (+1000) youthman is just really nice. (+1000) youthman is just really nice. (+1000) youthman is just really nice. (+1000) youthman is just really nice. (+1000) youthman is just really nice. (+1000) youthman is just really nice. (+1000) youthman is just really nice. (+1000) youthman is just really nice. (+1000) youthman is just really nice. (+1000) youthman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Sezer_j
    Absolute ludicrous bull.

Unless you want to start looking like Fern Britton any time soon, I would take no notice whatsoever.

Healthy CLEAN diet, 5-6 meals a day, plenty of protein - balanced with sufficient carbs and fats, HARD training based around core movements, and finally REST... is what gains weight on a frame. Not damn ice cream. And especially before bedtime. You should not be taking in any carbs before bed, even on a bulk, and even clean sources, if you're looking to gain mass WITHOUT bodyfat.

If anybody replied with a comment like that to me, i'd take them to the moon and back, twice over.
    I don't think carbs before bed are necessarily bad. Depends on your situation, what you eat during the day, when you work out, etc...

Stats: 5'11", 198 lbs
    BodyPoints: 13574
    Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Madevilz has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Madevilz's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by youthman
    I don't think carbs before bed are necessarily bad. Depends on your situation, what you eat during the day, when you work out, etc...
    Carbs before bed is great, and even necessary if you are bulking. But we're talking about COMPLEX carbs here, not simple sugar that'll go straight to your waist size.
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

BodyPoints: 864
    Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Sezer_j is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit Sezer_j's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by youthman

I agree.

Although i am generalizing the point.
    Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts.

- Henry Rollins

Stats: 6'3", 234 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1023
    mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) mistahans has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit mistahans's BodySpace
    How about eating some quick oats along with my cottage cheese before bed?

BodyPoints: 41
    Maximum6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maximum6 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Visit Maximum6's BodySpace
    who knows...maybe ice cream works for that guy.

I remember hearing something about arnold using ice cream in his protein shake or something.

Everybody is different. I even have a friend who uses Chef boy r d pasta for precontest prep. Works for him.
    Davinci flavor oppinions:
    Banana-awesome
    Pancake-awesome
    cookie dough-good (not sweet but has flavor)
    German Chocolate Cake- good (sweet, not strong)
    PB- good(sweet, not strong flavor)
    Gingerbread- good (taste like gingerale/no good on pancakes, okay in oatmeal)
    Coconut- good. (has flavor..a tiny sweetness)
    Macadamia Nut- good/poor
    Danish Pastry-good (if you like cookie dough you would like this)
    Blueberry-Awesome/good

Stats: 6'0", 190 lbs
    BodyPoints: 17492
    Ace50 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ace50 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ace50 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ace50 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ace50 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ace50 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ace50 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ace50 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ace50 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ace50 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Ace50 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Ace50's BodySpace
    2 cups of milk
    2 fish oil tablets
    1 vitamin
    Ice Cream(Breyers Extra Creamy is good stuff.)

What i eat before i sleep.
    .:Ace50 Crew:.
    ++ Positive Crew ++

BodyPoints: 6915
    jstone28 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jstone28 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jstone28 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jstone28 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jstone28 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jstone28 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Visit jstone28's BodySpace

Smile Ice Cream

I was just reading a book where in it they described why mass gainer powders have no use because most of the time the added ingrediant is sugar.... the other descibed how just add ice cream to whey and you got a mass shake right there!!

BodyPoints: 155
    bucball1231 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bucball1231 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bucball1231 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bucball1231 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bucball1231 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bucball1231 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bucball1231 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bucball1231 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bucball1231 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bucball1231 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) bucball1231 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit bucball1231's BodySpace
    im kinda curious on this

Stats: 5'9", 175 lbs
    quikieemart has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) quikieemart has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) quikieemart has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) quikieemart has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) quikieemart has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) quikieemart has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) quikieemart has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) quikieemart has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) quikieemart has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) quikieemart has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) quikieemart has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit quikieemart's BodySpace

disagree

Originally Posted by Sezer_j View Post
    Absolute ludicrous bull.

In addition to eating 5 times a day, I eat ice cream 3-4 times a week before bed, some times with a couple dark chocolate chip cookies in the mix. I've seen no problem with my progress.
    HEALTH IS WEALTH.

"Get your rhomboids up!"

Recreational Lifter ArchangelEST's Avatar
    Stats: 6'1", 196 lbs
    ArchangelEST has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArchangelEST has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArchangelEST has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArchangelEST has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArchangelEST has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArchangelEST has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArchangelEST has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArchangelEST has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArchangelEST has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArchangelEST has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ArchangelEST has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ArchangelEST's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by quikieemart View Post
    In addition to eating 5 times a day, I eat ice cream 3-4 times a week before bed, some times with a couple dark chocolate chip cookies in the mix. I've seen no problem with my progress.
    Good 5 Year Old Thread bump...

I wish people would stop doing this every day... the forums can't possibly be low on topics to discuss.
    IFBB's Baltic Match 2014, Men's Physique open - 6-th place
    EKFL's (member of the IFBB) 2014 Estonian Cup, Men's Physique I-st place + Best Trainer
    EKFL's (member of the IFBB) 2014 South-Estonian Cup, Men's physique -190cm, beginners, I-st place
    EKFL's (member of the IFBB) 2014 Reval Cup, Men's physique, beginners, runner-up

Retired.

Stats: 6'0", 192 lbs
    muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit muscleshakes's BodySpace

2 year bump

Ice cream before bed is fine as long as you don't eat tons of other crap with it. I eat it a lot along with cottage cheese . I guess it depends on how lean you want to get or genetics. With me it's all about balance now if I start to see myslef getting too fat I bak off of it for a few weeks. I eat pretty good all day hell I want so ice cream at night. My only problem with it is I like to eat 4 servings at once

Stats: 5'10", 169 lbs
    hknewbie is just really nice. (+1000) hknewbie is just really nice. (+1000) hknewbie is just really nice. (+1000) hknewbie is just really nice. (+1000) hknewbie is just really nice. (+1000) hknewbie is just really nice. (+1000) hknewbie is just really nice. (+1000) hknewbie is just really nice. (+1000) hknewbie is just really nice. (+1000) hknewbie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Visit hknewbie's BodySpace
    Nice 5 years old thread bump

Stats: 6'0", 192 lbs
    muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) muscleshakes has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit muscleshakes's BodySpace

Talking 1 year bump

Originally Posted by hknewbie View Post
    Nice 5 years old thread bump
    Eating ice cream right now and I'm up to 195lbs but I stopped weighing myself & taking BF to b honest. All I use is a freakinh mirror and I feel like I look as good as I ever have and I'm 38 started lifting 5 days a week at age 21. I've never done steriods I'm not going to look like a pro bodybuilder so I workout lift weights eat good most of the time and eat ice cream at night 5 nights a week. I just had a lot too. I counted my protein grams at 200 but I still needed to get closer to 3,300 cals than 2,800 so I just put a good 500 calories down.

Stats: 6'0", 144 lbs
    SM15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SM15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SM15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SM15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SM15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SM15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SM15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SM15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SM15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SM15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SM15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit SM15's BodySpace
    IMO threads like this stem from another topic on this board that not everything is for everyone. Ice cream before bed may work for some, but not for everyone. Why not give it a try and see if it works? If so, great. If not, find an alternative to eat before bed. There are good suggestions in the posts above.

Stats: 6'2", 160 lbs
    Astral121 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit Astral121's BodySpace
    i eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a serving of edy's ice cream before bed quite often. PB&J almost every night of the week (love it) and ice cream maybe 3 nights of the week but only a serving which is a 1/2 cup. calories in vs. calories out. i'm not a huge eater during the day because im busy and generally eat lean mean so by 9 at night i usually have 1,000 calories and a surplus of fat and carbs to spend.. been doing this for a couple weeks now and as of weigh in yesterday morning im down 1.3 pounds.