-E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Saturated Fats in Keto?

Hey people, after unfortunately completely leaving my diet and training routine for about 2 weeks, im now back on a Ketogenic diet, it looks something like this:

Meal 1: 3 scrambled eggs

Meal 2: Tuna and Mayonnaise and 2 table spoons of peanut butter.

Meal 3: 2 Chicken Breasts

Meal 4: 2 rashers of bacon, 50g of mixed nuts.

Meal 5: Steak or beef or pork.

Now I was wondering if saturated fats can be beneficial or inhibiting in a Ketogenic diet, i mean, i hear all about the amount of fat i should be eating, but not really the type of fat.

Should I be keeping sat. fats down, or can they too be converted into ketones? Also, is my diet effective for entering ketosis, its just i was given plenty of advice here before but managed to lose that dam diet

Thanks for any help, im open to all advice. Also, i dont have a carb up during my week, can someone please explain the carb up to me fully and how should/does training fit around the carb up? sorry for all the questions, but thx for ure comments.
    Last edited by -E-; 07-28-2006 at 06:17 PM.

eastcoastnjdc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by -E-
    Hey people, after unfortunately completely leaving my diet and training routine for about 2 weeks, im now back on a Ketogenic diet, it looks something like this:

Now I was wondering if saturated fats can be beneficial or inhibiting in a Ketogenic diet, i mean, i hear all about the amount of fat i should be eating, but not really the type of fat.

Should I be keeping sat. fats down, or can they too be converted into ketones? Also, is my diet effective for entering ketosis, its just i was given plenty of advice here before but managed to lose that dam diet

Thanks for any help, im open to all advice. Also, i dont have a carb up during my week, can someone please explain the carb up to me fully and how should/does training fit around the carb up? sorry for all the questions, but thx for ure comments.

I would watch the carb intake on those nuts. As for the saturated fats, I do believe that they get a way worse rep than they should. I am almost positive they will also be used as fuel, just as much as the rest of the fat.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Saturated fats are essential for your health. You need them to keep your immune system healthy, your bones strong and your testosterone levels high. There is a direct relationship between the amount of saturated fat in your diet and your test levels, and an inverse relationship between polyunsaturates and testosterone.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by -E-

When I read questions like this, I tend to agree with alot of other people that a keto diet is not the best choice for 95% of dieters out there. Why would you want to go on a keto diet when you are scared of saturated fats? You will only become a nervous wreck as a result of the brainwashing you have received since you were a child in regards to saturated fats and meat. Don't get me wrong, I believe that low carb or even no carb is the way to go but you must believe in the diet if you are going to succeed. High insulin levels, trans fats, too much fiber, too many carbs, and not enough fat and protein is what you want to watch out for. Meat is the healthiest food you can eat, its the french fries and potato chips that make it unhealthy.

PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You get saturated fats in beef/pork/lamb, or you could add some cheese or a little butter.
    And EAT YOUR VEGES (see my sig)
    * ʍǝɹɔ ǝıssnɐ *

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ironman1964bc
    When I read questions like this, I tend to agree with alot of other people that a keto diet is not the best choice for 95% of dieters out there. Why would you want to go on a keto diet when you are scared of saturated fats? You will only become a nervous wreck as a result of the brainwashing you have received since you were a child in regards to saturated fats and meat.
    To be fair, anyone who is health conscious has spent years listening to experts telling that saturates are killers and to eat lots of bread with vegetable oil margarine. I used to believe it myself (never lost weight on a high carb diet, but did it anyway) until I tried keto and started looking at the research behind it.

Once you realise how much evidence there is that low-fat/high-carb is dubious fad, you start feeling a lot better.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Eileen
    (never lost weight on a high carb diet, but did it anyway)

Once you realise how much evidence there is that low-fat/high-carb is dubious fad, you start feeling a lot better.
    I did lose a lot of weight on a low fat/high carb diet when I first started dieting and exercising about 13 years ago. Now, note that I said I lost a lot of weight which included fat and muscle. I was also doing a lot of aerobic exercise.

But here's the rub... it comes to a grinding halt after a while. The body adapts and even begins to reverse. I found that a high carb/low fat diet, unless I did ridiculous amounts of aerobics, caused me to gain fat. And for whatever reason, a few years ago I developed insulin resistance (Type 2 diabetes ) and Metabolic Syndrome. This ketogenic diet is the only thing that has helped me get both of those under control, to the extent that when my endocrinologist saw my blood work and I told her about my diet, she said keep doing it.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50) ironman1964bc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here is a great page on fats for people who are interested in knowing more about how they are used by the body.
    http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/index.html

I also stayed fairly slim on a high carb diet as long as I continued to bike and run alot. The problem is every winter or every injury caused me to gain weight because I couldn't keep the aerobics up. Even when I was in the best aerobic shape of my life in 1995 (5000 miles of biking in 4 months) all I heard from friends and family was how terrible I looked. Earlier that winter I was benching 420lbs and squatting over 600lbs at a bodyweight of 240lbs. After the 5000 miles of biking, I weighed 178lbs and could only bench 240lbs. How ironic it was to hear how terrible I looked when I considered myself to be in great shape but that's what happens when you use muscle for fuel.

The only way I have been able to stay lean and remain muscular is by doing the keto diet and sprints. With high carbs, I was either small (not lean) with no strength or fat with alot of strength.

-E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -E- will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Man, dont worry bout all that, i was just wondering about the saturated fat part of it, its cool now i got my diet finished, thanks for help, btw, wot about milk in keto? i usually drink about 2 glasses of semi skimmed a day, its has some carbs but how much should i be drinking?

Originally Posted by -E-
    Man, dont worry bout all that, i was just wondering about the saturated fat part of it, its cool now i got my diet finished, thanks for help, btw, wot about milk in keto? i usually drink about 2 glasses of semi skimmed a day, its has some carbs but how much should i be drinking?
    You can't drink milk on a keto diet. Are you sure you know what a keto diet is? It doesn't seem that you do considering you are scared of saturated fat and want to drink milk.

If you can find some carb countdown milk made by Hood's, then that would be ok on a keto diet as long as you don't drink too much at once. It is good for protein drinks because it will thicken them up alot better than water can.

Snahrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snahrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snahrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snahrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snahrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snahrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snahrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snahrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snahrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snahrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) Snahrl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Drink fermented milk products (like kefir). Raw milk is really the only way to go. Drinking pasteurized/homogenized milk has tremendous health problems associated with it, while raw milk from grass fed cows has a lot of benefits (including CLA).

The carbs are eaten up by the probiotics and converted into lactic acid.

You could still be in a low carb diet and consume milk, just make sure you're not drinking gallons of it.

ironman can you cool it please, im just asking some simple questions seen as milk has a good amount of protein and fat, and only little carbs.

i know wot a keto diet is but then again its impossible to know 100% about anything. thanks for help tho ppl.

BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GregT View Post
    You get saturated fats in beef/pork/lamb, or you could add some cheese or a little butter.
    And EAT YOUR VEGES (see my sig)
    i dont mean to be a pedantic arse mate, but tomato is a fruit....it grows on a vine.....its also full of sugar, so the carb hit would be susbstantial

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ironman1964bc View Post
    The only way I have been able to stay lean and remain muscular is by doing the keto diet and sprints. With high carbs, I was either small (not lean) with no strength or fat with alot of strength.
    woop thats me too, I can gain at a faster pace with carbs but, the fat comes with the strength... If i want to stay under 12% taking out hte carbs is the only thing that seems to work. I stay lean and maintain most of my strength. I can ramp up exercise and lower calories, but... then muscle comes off too... so it seems on any diet with adequate carbs I either gain muscle and fat, or lose muscle and fat, on keto the fat melts off and muscle stays, its just more of a dense muscle, strength doesn't decline, still goes up.
    Last edited by grapemaster; 01-21-2007 at 08:15 PM.
    @__@