gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Noob Ron's 'starting strength' journal...

Well folks I'm starting Rippetoe's program today. I'm a noob weightlifter.

I'm around 5'7 and 132lbs. My goals are just to gain weight(mostly muscle I hope!)and get into shape.

For diet I will mostly be clean bulking. Only supp. I will be using is ON 100% Whey. For my diet I will be paying attention to calories mostly so I know I am staying above my maintenance caloric intake. I will not be sticking to a overly strict 100% pre-planned diet for every meal. Too much hassle for a noob like me to handle all this in the beginning. I will of course be tweaking my diet as the program advances(and I learn) but for this noob I'm just keeping it simple in the beginning.

My plan is simple....Lift Heavy, Eat Alot, REST, REST, REST!

I will be starting out a little on the light side to get the form down for the lifts. I'm in no hurry to get big. I figure I have the rest of my lift to get in shape so that gives me plenty of time.

So...........

For breakfast I had

1 1/2 cups oatmeal w/3 tbsp. honey and 1/2 cup whole milk(I use Lactaid)
    1 1/2 cups whole milk w/1 scoop whey

Calories...around 600 I think. I'll have to check when I get home

For lunch I have some leftover steak and a salad, also brought some peanuts and a banana. I will be eating my pre workout meal when I get home around 4pm. I will also be drinking a pre workout shake about 20min. before workout. Workout time around 5:30-6pm.

Ok gotta go....no responses neccessary, but always welcome! I'm doing this journal to keep me motivated and to make sure I keep track of things on my journey...

Good luck and thanks to all those who've answered my many questions leading up to this point...

Skinny Ron(for now!)

jiza101 is just really nice. (+1000) jiza101 is just really nice. (+1000) jiza101 is just really nice. (+1000) jiza101 is just really nice. (+1000) jiza101 is just really nice. (+1000) jiza101 is just really nice. (+1000) jiza101 is just really nice. (+1000) jiza101 is just really nice. (+1000) jiza101 is just really nice. (+1000) jiza101 is just really nice. (+1000) jiza101 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good luck champ. I'll rep you to get you started lol.
    Flying above the rest.

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good luck, Ron. I'm subscribing to your journal. Looking forward to this one!

Location: On the Ho Chi Min Trail Sippin on a 40oz of Old English 800, Vietnam
    MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    <subscribed> I am interested in your weight gain. I am 34 as well so I will be rooting you on!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Death is winning. Do something.- Sam Boyd

gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) gimmetheskinny will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the rep. points....now I feel like a 'somebody'!

Skinny Ron(for now!)

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gimmetheskinny
    Skinny Ron(for now!)
    Don't worry, we'll be calling you 'Big Ron' soon enough.

So here's how today went...

MEAL 1...6am
    1 1/2 cups oatmeal made with boiling water but I also add 1/2 cup whole milk
    1 1/2 cups whole milk w/whey

Snack..around 9am
    banana with about 2oz. peanuts

MEAL 2..around 12pm
    Nice chunk of leftover steak(top round)

MEAL 3..4:30pm
    Chicken breast
    Sweet potato
    Green beans

MEAL 4..5:30pm
    Shake made with whole milk, whey, 1/2 cup oats

Workout..6pm

PWO around 7:15pm
    Made w/water, whey, 3/4 cup oats and banana

Meal 5..9pm(little late as I had to be somewhere for a minute)
    Chicken breast

Pre-bed..
    whole-milk,whey

I'm gonna figure out the calories here in a minute, but just by looking now at what I ate I think it's way on the low side. Got to fix that. I felt like I was stuffing my face tho. I'm sure as I lift the hunger will start!

As for the workout it was fun, but I definately have a lot to learn. Had no clue really what my 3 set 5 rep max was so I was just kind of guessing. Everything was on the light side which was good, but maybe a little too light.

Squat..95lbs..
    Pretty easy, can definately go heavier. Hurt my upper shoulders more than anything. I'm sure my form is pretty bad too. It 'feels' good, but since this is my first time squatting I'm no fool to think I'm doing it right. Plus I'm one of those skinny guys that is pretty flexible so I have to be careful about going 'too' deep(according to Rippetoe).

Bench..95lbs..(same as squat lol)
    Felt good. Can also go heavier. I like the 'feel' of benching. I can feel the muscles screaming and I like it.

Deadlift..115lbs.
    I like this lift! Again I can prolly go a bit heavier. Another lift that I'm sure I'm not doing right. I really wish I had someone around to coach me at least till I get the forms right. Ahhh-well. I'm going to try to get video of me doing these things and maybe you all can give me some pointers.

Overall I feel pretty good. I know I will be sore tommorrow, can already feel it. Lower back hurts a bit. I'm sure it's a combination of bad form/weak back. Only time will tell.

Something I failed to mention was an aspect of my body. I have an A-symetrical body. Sort of hard to describe but basically my left side is bigger than my right. I don't mean muscle mass either. I'm not sure what it is, but one doctor told me I have a bone-spur on my shoulder blade. Whatever it is, my right shoulder blade is 'different' than my left. It actually 'grew' a bit different. It's very noticeable if you are looking at my back and I flex my biceps or just lift my arms and 'squeeze' my shoulder blades together. There is NO symmetry. I can really feel the difference while I'm bench pressing too. I'm anxious to see how this is going to affect me. I am going to see another doctor(eventually)but I've seen so many I get fed up.

Ok getting tired now...good luck to all of you
    Ron

Life is a lot like a jalapeno. What you do one day can come back to bite you in the butt the next!

Starting Stats Current Stats:
    in lbs:

9-12-2013

Squat-95------------------->190
    Bench-95------------------>140
    Dead--115----------------->240
    OHP---60------------------>89
    Row---95------------------>100--->stopped row and am deadlifting every workout per 3rd edition SS.

10-21-2013 Phase 2 added Powerclean(PC)
    PC----90------------------->105

HDTRB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HDTRB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HDTRB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HDTRB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HDTRB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HDTRB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HDTRB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HDTRB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

good luck with this dude looks like you off on the right root.

Too light a workout....

well I'm not complaining. I'm not really even sore tho. I will definately be throwing on more weight tommorrow. I know I said I was going to take it easy but I want that pain associated with lifting!

Breakfast today
    1 1/2 cups oatmeal(with water+1/2 cup whole milk)and 3 tbsp. honey
    1 1/2 cups whole milk w/whey

Going to cut back on both of these. Maybe 1 cup oats and 1 cup shake. Feeling a bit bloated from this meal.

Already can't wait until next lifting session....

I will do weigh in's every week.

Good luck to all..
    Ron

Life is a lot like a jalapeno. What you do one day can come back to bite you in the butt the next!

in lbs:

9-12-2013

Row---95------------------>100--->stopped row and am deadlifting every workout per 3rd edition SS.

Location: On the Ho Chi Min Trail Sippin on a 40oz of Old English 800, Vietnam
    MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gimmetheskinny
    well I'm not complaining. I'm not really even sore tho. I will definately be throwing on more weight tommorrow. I know I said I was going to take it easy but I want that pain associated with lifting!

Just wait until you move the weights up. Give it time
    Death is winning. Do something.- Sam Boyd

I guess I was wrong...the soreness is coming. I can feel it especially in my legs. Very cool!
    Ron

in lbs:

9-12-2013

NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Heyo,

I am also bulking, the real key is to eat ALOT, and make sure you are having alot of water, water is an integral part of training. Anyways just wanted to wish you good luck!

Later,
    Steve
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113517961

Weight: 195 (January 19th)
    BodyFat: 11 %ish

Goal: Very Cut by April 2009

Tonights workout....

Squat-115lbs.

Felt good, still have a ways to go to learn proper form I think. I think I may be going too low. Is this possible? This was a good weight, could have probably only done a few more reps on final set. Getting close now to figuring out a good weight.

Press-65lbs.

Completed all sets/reps. Barely made last rep on last set so seemed a good weight. Right shoulder doing wierd things as I mentioned this is the shoulder thats a bit out of whack. I can keep it from hurting but not sure how its affecting form. Only time will tell.

Pendlay Row-90lbs.

For some reason I thought this was in the Starting Strength manual. Maybe from all the people doing it instead of the powercleans had me confused. I decided on the rows as it just seems way easier to learn than doing the cleans. I did it just by trying to remember the video's I've seen on this site. I will definately be studying the video's more. I don't think I had good form at all. I think I'm going to find out to do this right I'm going to have to lower the weight.

My thoughts so far.....

I like working out. It simply feels good. I look forward to it and I just started! I know progress takes time and thats fine, but man I cannot wait to see some progress!

I do NOT care for the eating part tho. Well not so much the eating part but the *remembering* to eat part. I've been eating VERY healthy for years but never at set *times*. Before, I get hungry I eat. Now I know I must stay up on eating to get my calories in. Working at a factory adds a bit of a challenge to eating but not that big a deal.

I wish someone could figure out whats up with the bone structure in my shoulder. I had my girlfriend do some measurements today to see how out of whack some things are. I had her measure from the *bump* in the middle of my bony chest to the end of the collar bone protrusion(near end of shoulder). There is a full INCH of difference! I measured hers and they were spot on. She then took the liberty to measure from bottom of my earlobe to top of my traps. Again, a full inch difference. These oddities are not noticeable to anyone not looking. Once I show someone tho they usually say something like..."thats freaky man..". I'm going to make yet another doctor appt. and see if I can finally find someone who can tell me something.

Ok...I'm done rambling..time for bed.

I am going to try to get some video of me doing these moves so you all can help me get good form.
    Ron

in lbs:

9-12-2013

Week 1, workout 3

Awesome workout today! Upped all weight. Still a little on the light side tho as I'm hitting all reps with a little gas left. Getting ever so closer to the 'optimum' weight I should be lifting tho. Of course still working on form. It went like this today...

All lifts are 3 sets of 5 reps except where noted. Deadlift is always only 1 set.

Squat-125lbs.

This was probably the perfect weight for me today. I did six on the last set and prolly could have pushed 7 or 8 but I could feel my form(which I know I need to work on anyway)getting bad. My butt started to come up while the rest of me stayed in place. I definately need to concentrate on form. I'm trying, just difficult when all you have is a book to go by. Hopefully it's close to being done correctly.

Bench-105lbs.

Bench form felt good. Too light a load tho. Pushed 10 reps on last set. I would rather be failing at the 3rd. or 4th. rep on the last set instead of having all this extra uuuummph! I really need to work on getting these weights right! I like benching!

Deadlift-185lbs.

First off let me say that the first workout I did these I did 3 sets @ 135lbs. I was only supposed to do ONE set of five. I guess in my excitement to start this program, and doing 3 sets on the other lifts that I just went with the flow. Well this time I remembered I was only suppose to do 1 set. I did quite a few warmups to get a feel for a guesstimated weight and 185lbs. sounded about right. I was able to do all sets/reps so will going a bit heavier next time.

One question on the dead. I deload(as you are supposed to)the weight but I stay in position. Should I let go of the bar and 'reset' my stance and all or is it fine just to deload then immediately lift?

All in all a great day. My body is starting to feel like it actually did something! Glad the weekend is here. Going to pig out(cleanly of course!) and let my muscles b-u-i-l-d!

Everyone have a great weekend and you'll hear from me on Monday...
    Last edited by gimmetheskinny; 07-28-2006 at 05:49 PM.
    Ron

in lbs:

9-12-2013

Week 2, workout 1

Well this workout kinda stunk. I just couldn't get in the groove. I'm really having trouble with the bent-rows and a little trouble with the military press. Also my form is not good at all on bent-rows or squats. I video taped the excercises and I can tell myself I have really crappy form. I guess it's good I can see the form-in-motion so I can work on it. As soon as I figure out how to get the vid on my computer I will post it so you all can critique it. I definately need some form help!

As for the military press it's more a shoulder popping thing. Just before I need to lock-out my left shoulder catches and I have to sort of twist it to get the lock-out on the lift. It seems most people have trouble with this lift at the bottom, but my trouble is at the top...hmmm. Time will tell how this goes.

sooo...

Squats

2x5@45
    1x5@65
    1x3@95
    3x5@135

Barely got the last rep on last set. I've been adding 10lbs(as I started program light to begin with)but will only be adding 5 next time. This workout was tough so I don't think I could get away with adding 10lbs. Also, I really, really need to work on form so going up only 5lbs. should help.

Military press

DB's
    2x5@10
    Barbell
    2x5@45
    3x5@70

Again I barely got the last rep. Will only be adding 5lbs. next workout. I think my form on this is pretty decent as it's a pretty basic lift. Not too worried about form here, but of course will always be working on it.

Bent-rows

2x5@45
    1x5@65
    3x5@95

I really stink at this excercise. I have NO back muscle at all and I think I need to really lighten the weight and get the move down. Of all the lifts this is the one I'm having most trouble with. I've also been getting this leg cramp everytime I do it. I've gotten these leg cramps ever since I was a kid but this excercise seems to bring it on. In my daily life these cramps just appear for no reason. Not everyday or anything but enough to drive a person crazy! It's hard to describe but the pain starts in my outer thigh, lower back(mostly left side) and works its way down the top of my leg. I don't really know how to describe it except that when it happens I need to fidget around to get comfortable. When it gets bad I pop some ibuprofen and that helps alot. Just wish someone could tell me whats wrong. Yes I've been to the doctor...

As far as my weight. I originally posted I weighed in at 132lbs. Well I just bought a new digital scale as I didn't like the old cheapo analog. Couple days ago in the morning it said around 139lbs. This morning I was around 142.6. This was before my morning bathroom fix tho. I'd say that I've gained around 2-3lbs. this week. I don't really think much is muscle tho. I think it's mostly from just stuffing my face like I never have before. I'm gonna compare the two scales and figure how much the cheap one is off and then use that weight for my starting weight.

Eating...

I've been eating mostly clean but don't think I'm hitting my calories. I am going to double check this sometime today. I know I originally said I wasn't going to worry too much about eating but I changed my mind. I am going to make up menu's so I know exactly what I need to buy and it will also make it easier to eat the good stuff while at work.

Thanks for lookin.
    The vids will be going up ASAP..
    Ron

in lbs:

9-12-2013

NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NintendoSteve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey there,

Ok so Diet is a large portion of if you are going to gain weigth or not. You need to be eating in excess to gain a good amount of muscle. You do not necessarily need to watch your calories too closely as long as you know you are getting more then maintenance you should be ok. At first it is hard, but try to eat like 5-6 meals a day, and buy some weight gainer, so that if you dont have food for a meal you can make a 1000 calorie shake to make your days calories. Good luck I am also bulking and its going pretty good so far = D
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113517961

Weight: 195 (January 19th)
    BodyFat: 11 %ish

Goal: Very Cut by April 2009

week 2 workout 2

Well I came home early from work today as I was feeling crappy. Managed to get my workout in tho . I was way under my caloric intake as I didn't feel like eating at all. I did get my pre-workout meal and a shake in, and also a PWO shake. Workout went surprisingly better than I thought it would. Starting to get a feel for my stance, grip, and all around form on the squat and deadlift. Little by little I can feel things just coming together. I know it will be awhile before I am doing everything 100% correct, but getting there seems half the fun!

Squat..
    2x5@45
    1x5@65
    1x3@85
    1x3@105
    3x5@140

I got all sets/reps...barely. This was a good weight. I may have gotten 1 to 2 more reps on last set. I may try upping weight by 10 lbs. next lift. I haven't failed a lift yet and want to get to a weight that gets me VERY close to failure.

Bench..
    2x5@45
    1x5@65
    1x3@85
    1x3@105
    3x5@115

Again, got all sets/reps. Pushed out 9 reps on last set. Gonna add 10lbs. next lift to hopefully get me closer to just barely pushing that last rep on set 3.

Deadlift..
    1x9@195

I just warmed up with dumbells cuz I loaded the bar up before remembering I needed to warmup. I think I'm going to have a love/hate relationship with this lift. Now that the weight is getting heavier I can really feel what muscles this lift works, and I love it but man does it burn! Gonna try 205 next session.

I need to get the bar up high for warmups on deadlifts and was wondering if anyone had ideas. I thought about just using some automotive jackstands but they may be a bit too high. I also thought about making something out of some 4x4's. I know I can come up with something but I figure I'd ask what you all do.

Good luck to everyone!
    Ron

in lbs:

9-12-2013