Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RiCHARD7o2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tilapia or Salmon

Hey guys, I've been reading alot about diets and trying to find out what to eat. Well most of the guides suggest salmon for good source of protein. But I was looking at www.nutritiondata.com and I'm just wondering would Grilled Tilapia give me more protein than a Grilled Salmon?

Because if Tilapia is better or about the same as Salmon, then I would just stick with it, since it taste better and definitly much much cheaper.

SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RiCHARD7o2
    Hey guys, I've been reading alot about diets and trying to find out what to eat. Well most of the guides suggest salmon for good source of protein. But I was looking at www.nutritiondata.com and I'm just wondering would Grilled Tilapia give me more protein than a Grilled Salmon?

Because if Tilapia is better or about the same as Salmon, then I would just stick with it, since it taste better and definitly much much cheaper.
    sorry i cant be of more help, but ive never had salmon in my life. however, i can say that tilapia is indeed awesome tasting. as for costs, salmon is around 20 bucks a lb where i live, whereas tilapia is something like 4 dollars a lb.

im assuming that salmon cant be THAT much better for you than tilapia, so just by the costs alone, id go with tilap.

nonetheless, a can of tuna is the best nutrition-wise blessing from the sea in my opinion! basically a buck for 35 g of protein, no fat, and some great fatty acids.

LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hopefully you're not getting all your protein from only once source. Mix it up a bit, tilapia for lunch, salmon later, or tomorrow, etc.

Inuendo? In HER end Oh! PickItUp's Avatar
    PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SolidSnake84
    sorry i cant be of more help, but ive never had salmon in my life. however, i can say that tilapia is indeed awesome tasting. as for costs, salmon is around 20 bucks a lb where i live, whereas tilapia is something like 4 dollars a lb.

Whoa!!!

$20 per lb for Salmon?!?!?!?

Our farm raised Salmon goes for $8/lb or so, and Alaskan Wild caught Salmon is about $13/lb.

Are you referring to Smoked Salmon (Lox) or raw salmon. Also, wehre are you located?

As far as I am concerned, Salmon is king with regards to seafood. This is based on fat and flavor...but not price...
    Mark these words in the annals (no homo) of bodybuilding.com.
    8===D~~~ (.Y.)

RiCHARD7o2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I live in Las Vegas and a Farm Raised Salmon is about $6/lb compare to $1.50/lb to tilapia.

Also, I'm talking about Grilled Salmon vs Grilled Tilapia. Thanks for the tip about the canned tuna I think I'll also add that into my diet. But so far I'm getting natural protein from beef round steak, chicken breast, tilapia and salmon every now and then.

If you guys have any more tips, please let me know, since my groceries just went up by $15/week. Would be great to find out more tips on how to get a healthy bulk diet but at the same time I don't want to kill my budget lol.

brayj789 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brayj789 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brayj789 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brayj789 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brayj789 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brayj789 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brayj789 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brayj789 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brayj789 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brayj789 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) brayj789 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I love tilapia, and it's about as lean as a chicken breast!
    Height- 5'6
    Weight - 142 - B.F 10%

Dymatize Elite W.P
    Universal Storm EVF
    Flax Oil
    L-Glutamine

"The One who lives in sunshine all the time will also live in a desert."

"God became man, so that man could aspire to become [like] God." St. Athanasius

Proud Member of the Antiochian Orthodox Church, part of Christ's one,holy Apostolic church!

daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like it too. I eat shark also
    Government is for slaves
    Free men govern themselves

BJJ + Navy log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164870361

OverTheTop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I like tilapia when I can get a sale price 4.99/lb, most of the time I only buy alaskan cod, or red snapper. Salmon-kabob I like on the weekends, as well as my other favorite fishes like Orange roughy and Alaskan Halibut, but they are way expensive to have every day, like 8.99/lb for Orange roughy and up to 20.00/lb for Alaskan Halibut. Some fishes are a bit to fatty to have every day for my cutter diets, but they are still good to have on cheat days. most of these fishes are about 18 - 23g protein per serving, orange roughy has the lowest amount of calories per protein of all these fishes..

oaks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oaks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oaks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oaks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oaks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oaks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oaks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oaks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oaks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oaks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) oaks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Tilapia is a really good source of lean protein...if you need more efa's in your diet, however, i would suggest Salmon over it...salmon has lots of protein, but also a lot of good efa's.

andrew07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use both. The decision on which one to use should be based on your overall calories for the day and fat consumed in a day. If i have ate enough fats for the day, i'll use tilapia, if not, salmon is an excellent source to get some good omega 3 fats.

gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Go to wal mart. Packaged fish including tilapia and salmon is usually $3-4 /lb. The smaller fish, like tilapia, have the fillets frozen separately in their own pack. Great to take to work. Microwave it in the bag for just over a minute and it's done.

and it's eco-friendly too
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11112245/
    Last edited by gecko2424; 07-20-2006 at 12:29 PM.
    oh and gecko that link did not contain answers only the search page - swiftness_02

The foods that trigger ketosis are high in carbs, not sugars - michaeldude

Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, fish from WalMart?! Now that's where I draw the frikkin' line!!

Salmon is inexpensive here, and it is delicious. I've already had it twice today, but because I am to lazy to cook, not because I think it's the sole source of protein we should have.

That being said, you are missing a huge point; tilapia might be delicious and high in protein, but salmon offers you omega fatty acid benefits that farm bred tilapia never will. Tilapia doesn't grow wild, you know.
    "Every woman should have four pets in her life: a mink in her closet; a jaguar in
    her garage; a tiger in her bed; and a jackass who pays for everything." ~Paris Hilton~

The "diet" industry is the only business in the world that succeeds by failure.

Mikey01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikey01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikey01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikey01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikey01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikey01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikey01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikey01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikey01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikey01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mikey01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

You answered your own question.

PinoyBuilder17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinoyBuilder17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinoyBuilder17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinoyBuilder17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinoyBuilder17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinoyBuilder17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinoyBuilder17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up

i love tilapias......i eat them everyday since i was young...go tilapiaz
    Goal: Fat loss, I wanna get lean before bulk
    Weight: 160lbs
    LBM Weight:135lbs
    Goal weight:around 10%BF
    Height: 5'5.5''
    Cardio: CARDIO 5-6times a week
    WEIGHTS: 3-5times a week

Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Salmon by me is actully cheap then talipia by a few dimes per pound, to be honest , talipia is a better Protein source then salmon because you get more protein/less fat and calories per ounce then you would salmon because it is a leaner fish. However talipia is all farmed raised, and the health benifits assosiated with the healthy fat in wild salmon surely make consumeing it worthwhile. I can get Wild Silverbrite Salmon filets for about 3 dollars a lb and the steaks for 1;50$a lb these are the cheapest Salmon, mainly because there in abundence this year compared to the other types of salmon such as King which often costs 8$+ a lb. Silverbrite salmon, is also refered to as chum salmon, its way lower in fat then the other salmons but its still healthy and contains omega 3's and quality protein.
    Deport ALL Illegal Aliens

pissing off thought nazis bigbutnothuge's Avatar
    bigbutnothuge is just really nice. (+1000) bigbutnothuge is just really nice. (+1000) bigbutnothuge is just really nice. (+1000) bigbutnothuge is just really nice. (+1000) bigbutnothuge is just really nice. (+1000) bigbutnothuge is just really nice. (+1000) bigbutnothuge is just really nice. (+1000) bigbutnothuge is just really nice. (+1000) bigbutnothuge is just really nice. (+1000) bigbutnothuge is just really nice. (+1000) bigbutnothuge is just really nice. (+1000)
    I eat both. And yes I stockup on Walmart individually frozen, $2.99/lb for Salmon.
    No sig

thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) thesecondrei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Where do you guys find the fish at the walmart? Is it in the frozen foods section or something?

F350 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) F350 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) F350 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by thesecondrei View Post
    Where do you guys find the fish at the walmart? Is it in the frozen foods section or something?
    Yup

djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djansen has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    pre and post workout talapia
    any time else salmon

eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eldawg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    my view between the two is to get what you can afford. if you can afford both, that's perfect.

YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) YUL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    tilapia is always cheaper around here so i eat more of it.

alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
    sorry i cant be of more help, but ive never had salmon in my life.
    Insanity. I eat it as often as I can for the EFAs. And you're from Alaska? ****, that's where mine comes from. Dude get some salmon.

Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Big_Spaz has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by gecko2424 View Post
    Go to wal mart. Packaged fish including tilapia and salmon is usually $3-4 /lb. The smaller fish, like tilapia, have the fillets frozen separately in their own pack. Great to take to work. Microwave it in the bag for just over a minute and it's done.

and it's eco-friendly too
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11112245/

That's exactly what I use Walmart's brand that comes 4 in a frozen pack. I eat about 4 bags of that stuff a week.

-Spaz

Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Struct09 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Both are great, but go for wild caught salmon if you can.

thatworkoutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thatworkoutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thatworkoutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thatworkoutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thatworkoutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thatworkoutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thatworkoutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thatworkoutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thatworkoutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thatworkoutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thatworkoutguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by TricepGirl View Post
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, fish from WalMart?! Now that's where I draw the frikkin' line!!

Salmon is inexpensive here, and it is delicious. I've already had it twice today, but because I am to lazy to cook, not because I think it's the sole source of protein we should have.

That being said, you are missing a huge point; tilapia might be delicious and high in protein, but salmon offers you omega fatty acid benefits that farm bred tilapia never will. Tilapia doesn't grow wild, you know.
    That makes about as much sense as turning up one's nose at designer clothing found on a sales rack. Tilapia is tilapia. Most of what you see with different names comes from the same farms. Moreover, so does the "wild" salmon you harp on about. Or did you actually think you were eating something special?

Corporations love people like you. You buy into every marketing spiel they come up with.

EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    nonetheless, a can of tuna is the best nutrition-wise blessing from the sea in my opinion! basically a buck for 35 g of protein, no fat, and some great fatty acids.
    Oh, is that so?

mcVindicated will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcVindicated will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcVindicated will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcVindicated will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcVindicated will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcVindicated will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcVindicated will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcVindicated will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcVindicated will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcVindicated will become famous soon enough. (+50) mcVindicated will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I like variety....i eat both

Dr. Animal, OD, Natty Pro The_Animal11's Avatar
    The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    sorry i cant be of more help, but ive never had salmon in my life.
    this is one of the saddest posts ive ever seen on bb.com. i feel bad for you man. salmon is delicious.

anyways, onto the topic at hand. its already been said, but tilapia is leaner, but salmon has more health benefits cuz tilapia is farm raised. so the thing that makes tilapia better, in a way, also makes it worse. however, the key for me is that tilapia is cheaper to buy here. (oddball, very jealous of you for it being the other way around by you btw)

i honestly dont think you can go wrong whichever you choose though, OP, fish is always awesome.
    WWJD-What Would Jesus Deadlift?

May God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you really CAN make a difference in this world, so that you are able, with God's grace, to do what others claim cannot be done. -From the Four-Fold Franciscan Blessing

Who Says I Can't Pack on Mass (my log)?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146406963

richbodyfit.com<--- awesome trainer and workout partner!

CrossCreek has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    it wont let me post a link beacuse i havent posted 30 times yet, but google "tilapia health". i just sat down to a fat plat of tilapia after a workout, figured id google it (thats how i got to this forum actually) only to find that i might as well be eating a fat cheeseburger....wtf?

comments?

clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000) clemburger is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Tilapia has a really crappy omega 6 - omega 3 ratio compared to salmon. But besides that they are both good protein sources
    Last edited by sportsarelife7; 06-25-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelled tilapia wrong