skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Question Pork Skins 7g protein *not a significant source of protein ... ?

How come on every bag of pork rhines/rinds, it says with an asterisk *not a significant source of protein

Yet a serving of pork skins is 6g fat, 7g protein.... ?

Somewhat related note:

I found fried pork skins in the español aisle at the store.... they're ingredients are "Pork skins". That's it... and they aren't even cut down, they are huuuuuuuuuuuuge. It comes with a little packet of hot sauce. Then I realized.... a few drops of your favorite hot sauce goes awesome on unflavored pork skins.
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

deadaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) deadaim has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ummm i would not touch that crap yikes lol. Thats alot of fat ffor not alot of protein.

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by deadaim
    Ummm i would not touch that crap yikes lol. Thats alot of fat ffor not alot of protein.
    Much to learn have you about CKD young padawan
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by skelooth
    Much to learn have you about CKD young padawan
    HA HA HA! Perfect response!

So where'd you find these, at Safeway/Albertsons?

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for 'em. How do they taste (when you get the "regular" ones)?
    "To win any battle, you must fight as if you were already dead." - Miyamoto Musashi

Shop-rite. I've never heard of safeway or albertsons, but i'm guessing they are typical supermarkets like shop rite. I am ALWAYS exploring supermarkets for hidden gems like this. It was cheap too... HUGE bag.

They taste.... pretty flavorless actually. The really big skins that got curled up are a little overly crunchy and brittle. I just slam my fist down on a big skin to break it up, then snack on it like chips.

Despite common belief, considering the size of pork rhines vs calories... they're a fairly low calorie snack considering they're mostly fat.

haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) haleluyah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i feel you. Pork legs along with the skin is the best. i usually stew them with peanuts.
    There is no such thing as overtraining.
    If you are not ready to change drastically, you are not ready for bodybuilding.

Lisak80538 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisak80538 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lisak80538 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pork rinds... Mmmmmmmm

Pork rinds... just what I wish a guy would send, instead of flowers!

OK - I was kidding. As long as you can get past that 'animal' smell, they're a decent stand-in for Doritos!
    Try them with dip (full fat) ... now that's a treat! Or... as I called it today... "Lunch."

Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pork rinds a gem, hardely..... there not hard to find, i think everyones heard of them. They are delicious though and are a great source of fat/protein when your on keto. If you can, try splenda and cinninmon on the plain ones, i swear they taste like french toast or the likes mmmmmm
    Deport ALL Illegal Aliens

LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If I had to guess one of two possible things:

1. The pork skin may not contain a full string of amino acids like the pork meat itself.

2. The fat to protein ratio is so high, it's to keep people from eating a truckload of them as a protein source. Assuming you have a balanced diet though, I would think this concern wouldn't apply for one meal a day.

Those are just my two guesses.

thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50) thicketman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LightCrow
    If I had to guess one of two possible things:

1. The pork skin may not contain a full string of amino acids like the pork meat itself.

This would've been my guess also.

JHart666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JHart666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JHart666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JHart666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JHart666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JHart666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JHart666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JHart666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JHart666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JHart666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JHart666 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i noticed the same thign today, and when i plugged it in to ND . com it did nto say one of the good things was high protein, so it may be the amino acid chain is not like that of say actual meat

PinoyBuilder17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinoyBuilder17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinoyBuilder17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinoyBuilder17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinoyBuilder17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinoyBuilder17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PinoyBuilder17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    you can find them at any asain stores or Philippine stores, i eat them since i was a kid, they are very salty.....they are called chicharon, very crunchy and crumbs......they are good to dip on vinegar, my dad used to eat them with his friends.....Beer + Chicharon on vinegar = good time..hehehehe
    Goal: Fat loss, I wanna get lean before bulk
    Weight: 160lbs
    LBM Weight:135lbs
    Goal weight:around 10%BF
    Height: 5'5.5''
    Cardio: CARDIO 5-6times a week
    WEIGHTS: 3-5times a week

Oddly enough, even incomplete proteins are good for something. The mroe recent research shoes that incomplete chains of protein do not have to be eaten simultaneously to form a full one.

IE you can have some beans now, and some rice later, and it will form a complete protein. This is probably why most vegetarians even survive lol.

I wonder what I'd need to eat alongside porkrhines?

I'd imagine the frying and puffing process does a number on the protein.

Silverscrew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silverscrew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silverscrew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silverscrew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silverscrew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silverscrew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silverscrew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silverscrew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silverscrew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silverscrew is on a distinguished road. (+10) Silverscrew is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It sounds crazy, but pork skins and cracklin's are found in every grocery store, gas station, and drug store in south louisiana. It is one of our cultural foods down here. A keto paradise.....
    01/1/11 428lbs.

Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    *bows down to Skelooth* Skel, you are a god...send.

Pork rinds are awesome. Not gonna be a whole meal, but perfect if I'm thinking about cheating on keto.

Thanks!

oh, BTW the brand I got was "Mission". They had it preflavored, nice n spicy. The way I like it! :-D

Thanks again for telling us of it!

EIDT: sure makes your mouth dry!
    Last edited by Jason762; 07-30-2006 at 03:07 PM.
    "To win any battle, you must fight as if you were already dead." - Miyamoto Musashi

Raising theGoblet of Rock aliceinchains's Avatar
    aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

[Collagen]

The type of protein in pork skins is called collagen, the same substance found in hair, fingernails, and horsehooves. Its bio-availability is almost non-existent, hence the statement on the package. People in survival situations (the Donner party, etc.) have attempted to use leather as a food source, with unfortunate results. ~AIC
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50) LightCrow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by aliceinchains
    The type of protein in pork skins is called collagen, the same substance found in hair, fingernails, and horsehooves. Its bio-availability is almost non-existent, hence the statement on the package. People in survival situations (the Donner party, etc.) have attempted to use leather as a food source, with unfortunate results. ~AIC
    Reminds me of the the experimental PSMF diet form the 70s called "The Last Chance." Several people died on the diet because all they were allowed were these collagen protein shakes and no vitamins on top of it.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by aliceinchains
    Well, I'll be damned:

However the proteins in pork rinds are not used by the human body. This is the reason the packages are labled not a significant source of protien." And eating pork rinds to get protien, only results in the protiens going unused and being converted to sugars and stored as fat by the body

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_rinds
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Raising theGoblet of Rock aliceinchains's Avatar
    aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aliceinchains has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Reminds me of the the experimental PSMF diet form the 70s called "The Last Chance." Several people died on the diet because all they were allowed were these collagen protein shakes and no vitamins on top of it.
    Interesting.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think what happened in those cases is that by consuming only protein one or both of two things happened... rabbit starvation (Google search) and/or the body learned to use protein for fuel and began consuming cardiac muscle (I think Eileen mentioned this? I forget if it was her).
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Originally Posted by Minotaur
    Well, I'll be damned:

However the proteins in pork rinds are not used by the human body. This is the reason the packages are labled not a significant source of protien." And eating pork rinds to get protien, only results in the protiens going unused and being converted to sugars and stored as fat by the body

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_rinds
    So basically they're no good, even on keto?

Seems not.

Bummer, that sucks.

So if it's true and it turns into sugar (aka carbs) would you get kicked out of ketosis?

It doesn't really make sense though. It would seem that the rules are different while you're in ketosis... right?

Dunno, bro. Maybe someone else knows the ins-and-outs of it. But unless I hear differently I'm staying away from them. And I do like them. *sigh*

Dawson217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dawson217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dawson217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dawson217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dawson217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dawson217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dawson217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dawson217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dawson217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dawson217 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dawson217 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Amounts per 1/2 oz (14g)
    Amino Acid Complex of Pork Rinds.
    Protein 8.6g 17%
    Tryptophan 16.5mg
    Threonine 255mg
    Isoleucine 193mg
    Leucine 465mg
    Lysine 390mg
    Methionine 67.2mg
    Cystine 74.0mg
    Phenylalanine 272mg
    Tyrosine 169mg
    Valine 339mg
    Arginine 678mg
    Histidine 102m g
    Alanine 814mg
    Aspartic acid 626mg
    Glutamic acid 1068mg
    Glycine 1669mg
    Proline 1017mg
    Serine 364mg

BBQ flavor, yummm

armenh1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok dudes, so this stuff about protein from pork skins (or rinds) not being digestible or not used by the human body is bogus information. That's just a misinterpretation of the truth, which is: pork skin mostly contains gelatin which is an "incomplete protein." Complete proteins are food items which provide the essential amino acids in a specific ration known to be optimal for human digestion. Amino acid scoring is based on something called PDCAAS (which is based on egg as the standard, but I'm digressing here). So, pork rinds do in fact provide protein, just not the best ratio. Is it beneficial in it's own way? Yes, it is. As long as you get the missing amino acids from other food items you're in the clear, just don't make it your sole source of protein, and don't treat it like you would a post-workout protein where you want high BCAAs and other essential aminos.

"Although gelatin is 98-99% protein by dry weight, it has less nutritional value than many other complete protein sources. Gelatin is unusually high in the non-essential amino acids glycine and proline (i.e., those produced by the human body), while lacking certain essential amino acids (i.e., those not produced by the human body). It contains no tryptophan and is deficient in isoleucine, threonine, and methionine." (Wiki - Gelatin - Medical and nutritional properties)

Many collagen and gelatin based protein formulas will often enrich the formulation with the most limiting amino acid, which is L-tryptophan. Medical grade protein supplements such as Prostat add this to provide a more desirable amino acid ratio.

Enjoy pork rinds ::munch munch::

Armen Hovsepian, MS, RD
    Clinical Dietitian
    Food Technologist

Originally Posted by Dawson217 View Post
    Amounts per 1/2 oz (14g)
    Amino Acid Complex of Pork Rinds.
    Protein 8.6g 17%
    Tryptophan 16.5mg
    Threonine 255mg
    Isoleucine 193mg
    Leucine 465mg
    Lysine 390mg
    Methionine 67.2mg
    Cystine 74.0mg
    Phenylalanine 272mg
    Tyrosine 169mg
    Valine 339mg
    Arginine 678mg
    Histidine 102m g
    Alanine 814mg
    Aspartic acid 626mg
    Glutamic acid 1068mg
    Glycine 1669mg
    Proline 1017mg
    Serine 364mg

BBQ flavor, yummm

I am an important hormone VitaminD3's Avatar
    VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) VitaminD3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    WTF at these random bumps...

pork rinds are nice and paleo/keto friendly. Just make sure u have a handy glass of water.

AddyMoreno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Pork rinds soaked in a spicy green sauce... Yum! And very filling. Question : should I then Not count the protein grams in rinds for my daily percentages of macros? I'm new to the ketogenic lifestyle and LOVING IT! I've never felt so full of energy!