madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein Shakes-Before or After

Is it best to have your protein shake before or after your workout?

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do both

MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I take an MRP after training only.

moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000) moisy is just really nice. (+1000)
    I tend to have my protein shakes after my workout and I try to make sure that I have it within half an hour of finishing. Sometimes too I will have another protein shake before I go to bed if I am hungry - better than reaching for some other things.

RoadPrincess Biker Mamma rayteresa4's Avatar
    rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My thoughts and information on this from my nutritionist and trainer are:

eat a real food meal 1 hour prior to your workout
    Drink post wrokout drink wihtin five (5) minutes of your workout.
    rayteresa4
    INBF Promotor/Director/Competitor
    www.unitedfitness.org - Wa. State Contest Information

34 - mother of 2
    5'7"
    Goal
    120-125lb for Comp.
    6-8% BF

With A Shield About Me - ALL Things Are Possible
    Blinders on, Eyes Forward, Running ALL the WAY to the END!

buffxsportbabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffxsportbabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffxsportbabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffxsportbabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffxsportbabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffxsportbabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffxsportbabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffxsportbabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) buffxsportbabe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rayteresa4
    My thoughts and information on this from my nutritionist and trainer are:

eat a real food meal 1 hour prior to your workout
    Drink post wrokout drink wihtin five (5) minutes of your workout.

As a competitive BB, I have heard just about everything as far as pre and post workout nutrition.
    I have read and heard repeatedly that a shake with some slow burning carbs and quality protein 1 hour or so before training with weights is ideal for workout energy. Nutrition within 1 hour following weight training is ideal to remain in Positive Nitrogen.

From my personal experience, Shakes before and After workouts were quick, easy and cheap. Only problem I found was my hunger burned pretty hard late into the night. I do better with "real meals." I try not depend on shakes unless I'm crunched for time. Eating more "Real Meals" and including less protein shakes does also come at a price. It takes more time to cook and prepare for 6 "real meals" each day.

It's all about trial and error. I found I don't feel "deprived" when I actually eat 6-7 small meals a day- No protein shakes.
    Good Luck

Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by buffxsportbabe
    I found I don't feel "deprived" when I actually eat 6-7 small meals a day- No protein shakes.
    The point of the shake isn't deprivation, convinience, or price; it is about fueling your muscles with proper nutrition.

Preworkout, I would suggest the op stick with real food as often as she can. Postworkout, you should immediately have whey and a carb. Again, it is not a matter of deprivation, convinience, or price; it is a matter of facilitating recovery as quickly as possible and shuttling protein and glucose to your muscles.

At any other time in the day, yeah, real food is always better, for many reasons.
    "Every woman should have four pets in her life: a mink in her closet; a jaguar in
    her garage; a tiger in her bed; and a jackass who pays for everything." ~Paris Hilton~

The "diet" industry is the only business in the world that succeeds by failure.

rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rayteresa4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by buffxsportbabe
    As a competitive BB, I have heard just about everything as far as pre and post workout nutrition.
    I have read and heard repeatedly that a shake with some slow burning carbs and quality protein 1 hour or so before training with weights is ideal for workout energy. Nutrition within 1 hour following weight training is ideal to remain in Positive Nitrogen.

From my personal experience, Shakes before and After workouts were quick, easy and cheap. Only problem I found was my hunger burned pretty hard late into the night. I do better with "real meals." I try not depend on shakes unless I'm crunched for time. Eating more "Real Meals" and including less protein shakes does also come at a price. It takes more time to cook and prepare for 6 "real meals" each day.

It's all about trial and error. I found I don't feel "deprived" when I actually eat 6-7 small meals a day- No protein shakes.
    Good Luck
    I often have my post workout drink within half hour of my dinner, and so I am adding that protien, glucose etc to the protien and carbs etc in my dinner as well...I then am full until morning when I wake and my tummy is rumbling like crazy...I donw a good glass of water and hit the cardio...then start my six meals a day...I haven't really varied from what my trainer has asked me to do - so far it works for me - if it isn't broke, don't fix it!
    rayteresa4

34 - mother of 2
    5'7"
    Goal
    120-125lb for Comp.
    6-8% BF

Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rayteresa4
    if it isn't broke, don't fix it!

Awesome.
    "Every woman should have four pets in her life: a mink in her closet; a jaguar in
    her garage; a tiger in her bed; and a jackass who pays for everything." ~Paris Hilton~

The "diet" industry is the only business in the world that succeeds by failure.

Dip Fanatic WillDeadliftForFood's Avatar
    WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000)
    Male perspective:

Shake after, always.

If you can't get real food before, have a shake then as well.
    Everything I say or post is all In My Own Opinion. I am a self-educated layman, with no formal degrees or certifications to back my statements, only personal experience and the studies I've read by others. What I say is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease or disorder. Do not change your diet or exercise routines or try new treatment methods without first consulting a doctor.

"And I feel that time's a wasted go..." - STP

SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000) SexyChic is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I always eat a meal an hour before then have a PWO shake after

Originally Posted by SexyChic
    I always eat a meal an hour before then have a PWO shake after
    Yup!
    rayteresa4

34 - mother of 2
    5'7"
    Goal
    120-125lb for Comp.
    6-8% BF

BabyMoto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When you all say PWO shake.........what do you mean, just 1 scoop of whey and water or do you literally go home and make a shake in a blender. Also what are the type of carbs you are eating with your shake?

Originally Posted by BabyMoto
    When you all say PWO shake.........what do you mean, just 1 scoop of whey and water or do you literally go home and make a shake in a blender. Also what are the type of carbs you are eating with your shake?

My post workout drink contains the following - I add water, and do not mix "shake". No carbs.

20 grams Isopure No Carb Protien
    5-8 grams glutamine
    2 grams creatine
    less than 5 grams gatorade (for flavor - not much)

20 gram protien, zero to 1 carb, and zero fats
    rayteresa4

34 - mother of 2
    5'7"
    Goal
    120-125lb for Comp.
    6-8% BF

Goddess in training amazonchick's Avatar
    amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10) amazonchick is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As a hard gainer, I have even gone so far as to drink a shake while I am working out. I figure any advantage I can give myself, I will. This has been suggested by John Berardi, in his plans for "skinny bastards" and as I call myself, a "skinny bitch."
    Become the change you want to see in the world.

Ghandi

Originally Posted by amazonchick
    As a hard gainer, I have even gone so far as to drink a shake while I am working out. I figure any advantage I can give myself, I will. This has been suggested by John Berardi, in his plans for "skinny bastards" and as I call myself, a "skinny bitch."

Very Good - ! I am certainly becoming a skinny bitch!
    rayteresa4

34 - mother of 2
    5'7"
    Goal
    120-125lb for Comp.
    6-8% BF