Aggro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

This time in my life

So I'm 33. Been a big guy all my life. Worked out sporadically in the past. Never really watched what I ate. 6'5" 250 with a gut that I've had pretty much all my life. Was always active in sports growing up (football, baseball, basketball, soccer) Decided I've had enough and have started trying to make changes.

Cut out fried foods (losing french fries was harder than I thought)

Stopped drinking soda.

Drink lots of water and gatorade to get my flavored fix.

Due to work and my schedule eating out is almost a necessity, but feel I'm doing well in my menu choices. I do splurge occasionally though.

Can't stand cardio. I can play basketball, volleyball or racquetball for 2 hours +, I just can't work a treadmill or an elliptical runner for more than about 15 minutes.

Love working out, have changed my heavy weight low reps to a lighter weight, more reps less recovery time hoping to at least get some fat burning from that. I think coupled with any gains I might see (which I have seen things tightening/hardening up) would help with my metabolism.

Taking a multivitamin, and supplementing in between meals with protein bars and an occasional shake.

Pants have already started loosening some, just not sure if I'm going to hit a wall with my hatred for running/cardio. Did I make the right choice with switching lifting practices or would I be better off keeping the high weight, low rep for greater muscle growth?

I know if I went strictly with a cardio type regime I'd probably lose weight, but I'd also probably end up quitting. I've gotten into the groove now with working out because it gives me some escape from work and people, (wife & kids especially) that I don't normally get. Basically I'm addicted to pushing the weights, so going straight cardio isn't really even an option. Should I resign myself to having to carry around a spare tire and slight bitch tits for the rest of my life?