Sunny5286 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Does Whey Protein Make you gain weight?

Every time I take whey protein (GNC) after 2 weeks I immediately put on weight in my stomach/love handles and only there. I used to be 195lbs I now weigh 150, but it is very awkward that I am gaining that kind of weight on my sides. (I do not eat a lot of sodium either) I only eat cereal, chicken breasts, turkey sandwiches with cheese, and some fruit....less than 1200-1300 calories and about 35g of whey protein w/ 2% hood milk?

Can someone please give me some advice. Should I do some cardio along with taking whey protein? I want to gain mass, but not any fat with it. It really makes me nervous because I do not want to gain weight...during the semester I do not have time to cut down and tend to gain more weight due to less workouts.

Also. I am a premedical student so i have to basically study all day and night during the semester, and get only 1-2 days to workout what should I do during these two days to retain my muscle and perhaps even get bigger?

Thanks

anson7up has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anson7up has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anson7up has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anson7up has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Wait, so u lost weight when u take whey? is that what u are saying?

Anyway, I dont think whey makes you gain or loose weight.
    In general, it HELPS you build muscle.
    What doesn't kill me can only make me STRONGER!

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Sunny5286

Also. I am a premedical student so i have to basically study all day and night during the semester, and get only 1-2 days to workout what should I do during these two days to retain my muscle and perhaps even get bigger?
    Full body, 2x/week.

Squats
    Bench Variant
    Deadlifts
    Rows/Pullups
    Bi/Tri Variants

Alter set and rep schemes, focusing mainly on the compound movements.

jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jason_bh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    On a 1200 calories per day diet, I am actually surprised that you are gaining weight. In order to gain weight you need excess calories from what your body needs just to survive without any type of exercise.

The bottom line is that if you want to gain weight (which you say you did), then you can expect to gain some fat. It's near impossible for you to gain lean muscle mass without feeding your muscles calories. And unfortunately a side effect of this is a gain in some fat.

Freeman4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freeman4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freeman4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freeman4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freeman4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freeman4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freeman4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freeman4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freeman4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freeman4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Freeman4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Every time I take whey protein (GNC) after 2 weeks I immediately put on weight in my stomach/love handles and only there. I used to be 195lbs I now weigh 150, but it is very awkward that I am gaining that kind of weight on my sides.
    Thanks
    Ive read this 5 times and it still isnt making sense to me? Did you mean 250? Whats your workout routine? Just taking whey wont build mussle if your not working out.

Below is my workout routine.
    My problem is everytime I start up whey protein I gain about 5lb+ weight in 2 weeks and from the mirror I can tell its majority fat, especially in my stomach. I started out will a flat stomach, now it is pudgy? I got off of whey protein for a few weeks and ran off the weight I gained. I have started up again today. Apparently I put on fat very easily? I do not eat a lot of junk food, i mean fat free hot dogs/6g carbs/6g protein is the worst meal i have during the week. Of course the occasional pizza once/twice a month, but nothing that would make me gain fat.

I have a descent chest, but it is not proportional with my scrawny arms, they are very thin and not thick, this is why I am taking whey protein. Any thing to build my arms and forearms would also be great. (Note: I use to have descent size arms but I basically was eating once a day during college, so I literally disintegrated and am now kicking myself)

Workout Schedule

Monday

Chest and Triceps

Flat (185- 6, 190- 6, 195/200- 6)

Incline (135- 8, 145- 8, 145- 8)

Decline (145- 8, 145- 8, 145- 8)

French Press (85lbs-8, 85lbs-8, 85-8)

Tricep Pulldown (30-12, 30-12, 30-12)

Reverse Tricep Pulldown (30-12, 30-12, 30-12)

Wednesday

Back and Biceps

Deadlifts (135-8, 145-8, 165- 8)

Lat Pull Down (90-8, 90-8, 90-8)

Upright Rows (90-8 X 3)

Friday

Shoulders and Legs

Dumbell Raise (45-8, 50-8, 5-8)

Shoulder Press (Machine) (100-8, 110-8, 120-8)

Lateral Raise Dumbell (25lbs 8 X 3)

Squats (155-8 X3)

Leg Press (190-8, 220-8, 250-8)
    Abs

My problem is everytime I start up whey protein I gain about 5lb+ weight in 2 weeks and from the mirror I can tell its majority fat, especially in my stomach. I started out will a flat stomach, now it is pudgy? I got off of whey protein for a few weeks and ran off the weight I gained. I have started up again today. Apparently I put on fat very easily? I do not eat a lot of junk food, i mean fat free hot dogs/6g carbs/6g protein is the worst meal i have during the week. Of course the occasional pizza once/twice a month, but nothing that would make me gain fat.

I have a descent chest, but it is not proportional with my scrawny arms, they are very thin and not thick, this is why I am taking whey protein. Any thing to build my arms and forearms would also be great. (Note: I use to have descent size arms but I basically was eating once a day during college, so I literally disintegrated and am now kicking myself)

PS: Is drinking diet coke bad, I know the carbonation will expand my stomach.

Workout Schedule

Monday

Chest and Triceps

Wednesday

Back and Biceps

Upright Rows (90-8 X 3)

Friday

Shoulders and Legs

Squats (155-8 X3)

Abs

chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

lol

Workout Schedule

Monday

Chest and Triceps

Wednesday

Back and Biceps

Upright Rows (90-8 X 3)

Friday

Shoulders and Legs

Squats (155-8 X3)

Abs
    Sonny, I actually have been searching for a 3 day workout for days now. I have to start it tonite and still havent found one. I am gonna use yours. I really like it.

chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chugg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sonny

When di you do your hams?

Chugg,

I am glad you like my workout plan, it is very effective. I guess you can throw hamst in there with legs on fridays. I am still working on hamstr., idk I throw in lunges once in a while but I do not have anything focused specifically on that. let me know how it goes. gl

include cardio with whey if I am gaining weight (fat)?

Registered User The Iron Wizard's Avatar
    The Iron Wizard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Iron Wizard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Iron Wizard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Iron Wizard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Iron Wizard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Iron Wizard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Iron Wizard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Iron Wizard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Iron Wizard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Iron Wizard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The Iron Wizard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Some whey protein powders are anything less than pure. Some are not even that high in BCAA content as they would have you believe. The GNC Whey powder does have some artificial ingredients; so, this might be a reason why you notice some weight gain. You see, this is not neccessarily fat gain, but your body's reaction to the ingredients in the whey, or some tertiary ingredient. Another thing to think about is your ability to digest milk proteins. Whey is a byproduct of milk. If you have a sensitivity to milk products (aside from natural yogurt or natural hard cheeses, especially raw organic cheeses), then you might have a slight degree of lactose intolerance. You don't have to drink milk to notice the signs of bloating and indigestion. If your body can't utilize the supplement, in this case whey protein from GNC, then it will not help you build muscle nor burn fat. You need to find a protein source that your body can use optimally. Whey protein is the highest in BV, but not if you are sensitive to it. Find your body's unique top protein source. In light of this, I would either try a different product or eat more whole food protein sources, as far as protein goes and isolate the item that you can assimilate the best. Same goes for carb and fat sources. I've found that Now Foods Whey and Jarrow Formulas Whey make very pure protein powders (as far as the unflavored goes). They may not taste the best, but they are some of the higher quality whey powders without a lot of other ingredients that you may or may not wish to have.

Thanks,

Everytime i eat milk and cereal, my stomach feels bloated until dinner time or until I run. Does this mean I have some intolerance to milk? I mix the whey with 2% milk, perhaps this is the reason it looks like I gained 10lbs of fat when I only gained 5? That is of course, in addition to the purity of the whey. I tried this Time Bomb protein releasing protein last year and I tended to gain some strength however, it make me look more lean & cut.

I really want to gain muscle mass, but as I want to gain as little fat weight as possible because

a. I use to be obese
    b. Genetically and due to my history i seem to gain weight very easily

What is the best approach?
    Note: Is it normal to go to the bathroom every 3 days? It has been like this my entire life, perhaps that is causing a problem.

extremes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) extremes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    sunny, i have some of the same problems you do with gaining weight/bloating.. our stories are also similar.. i went from 255lbs to 155 using a caloric deficit similar to yours.. and then when i decided i wanted to gain some weight i found it very had to workout and take shakes and keep my stomach flat... what i found worked best for me was instead of worrying about protein shakes i would just take in a crapload of turkey/tuna/chicken a day and get most of my protein from that... i would take protein shakes every other day... for workouts i would do natural workouts for my arms/upper body.. for example weighted pushups both elevated and regular... different angle pullups... and medicine ball workouts.. i also got a heavy bag and started boxing, which gave my arms crazy definition.. i went from 155 to 170 and have kept my stomach flat doing this. i upped my caloric intake however to a little over 2000 cals a day

ALSO - theres a brand of milk called lactaid, which is alot easier on the stomach than regular milk.. i can't drink regular but this stuff is really easy on the stomach...
    sorry if the post is hard to read but i gotta head out...

theJohndis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theJohndis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theJohndis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theJohndis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks,
    Note: Is it normal to go to the bathroom every 3 days? It has been like this my entire life, perhaps that is causing a problem.
    What's your daily fiber intake like?

I get varying from 10-18g depending on what I eat, maybe more, I am not sure how much turkey breast has in terms of fiber.

Thanks extreme, for the advice, what kind of protein did you take? Perhaps whey is not the right kind for me. I am going to take it twice a week with some exercise, just to finish it.

extremes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) extremes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    when i take my shakes during the day i use Optimum Nutritions 100% whey gold standard. when i take them b4 bed i use optimum nutritions pro complex. I've never had problems with my stomach while taking these. tip: make sure to stay off of the creatine and no-xplode with a bad stomach, that stuff tore me up inside :x

i've never tried any shakes that were not whey protein... so i'm sorry i can't help you there :[.. might want to make a new topic specifically for non whey shakes and ask the other members about it
    Last edited by extremes; 07-21-2006 at 05:22 AM.

juliapeter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juliapeter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juliapeter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juliapeter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juliapeter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juliapeter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juliapeter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juliapeter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juliapeter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juliapeter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) juliapeter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hello Everybody......
    According to my thought first you have to count that How much protein do you actually need? I have some knowledge about it and get some from forum like this. The RDA for women age ranges 19-70 will be 80 Gary.
    In the NHANES 2007-2008 Customer survey, experts discovered that a lot of women of all ages grow older 40-49 dined on 71g connected with health proteins each day and therefore are reaching the actual RDA. Supplementing your additional health proteins from shakes seriously isn't required. Protein daily allowance above exactly what we must assemble as well as restore muscle tissues will be changed into vitality or kept seeing that extra fat. Sufficient health proteins daily allowance can be achieved having regular foods. As well as the much more wide variety in what you eat better. Each foods attributes a different nutritional profile. And so I think it's best to take a variety of health proteins places. Adding whey health proteins dust by means of shakes for a diet regime can certainly bounce begin a weight loss program seeing that whey health proteins continues to be discovered to relieve short-term diet and might assist in lowering appetite, but My spouse and i don't believe this is optimal as part of your overall way of living.
    And so info...

davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by juliapeter View Post
    Hello Everybody......
    According to my thought first you have to count that How much protein do you actually need? I have some knowledge about it and get some from forum like this. The RDA for women age ranges 19-70 will be 80 Gary.
    In the NHANES 2007-2008 Customer survey, experts discovered that a lot of women of all ages grow older 40-49 dined on 71g connected with health proteins each day and therefore are reaching the actual RDA. Supplementing your additional health proteins from shakes seriously isn't required. Protein daily allowance above exactly what we must assemble as well as restore muscle tissues will be changed into vitality or kept seeing that extra fat. Sufficient health proteins daily allowance can be achieved having regular foods. As well as the much more wide variety in what you eat better. Each foods attributes a different nutritional profile. And so I think it's best to take a variety of health proteins places. Adding whey health proteins dust by means of shakes for a diet regime can certainly bounce begin a weight loss program seeing that whey health proteins continues to be discovered to relieve short-term diet and might assist in lowering appetite, but My spouse and i don't believe this is optimal as part of your overall way of living.
    And so info...
    Worst advice ever?