Thread: Bicep Plateau.

HuHu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bicep Plateau.

I've been stuck at between 25-30 lb dumbells for a while now, about three months. I switch up my bicep exercises every week with a variation of barbell, EZ-bar, cables, and dumbells. I do biceps once a week, and although I HAVE seen growth in my biceps, is it normal to have a bicep WEIGHT-LIFT plateau? And my other muscle groups seem to be able to lift more weight gradually.. Anyone have any input on this?

mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)
    light dumbbell exercises are hard to increase weight on. Make everything else stronger, the db curls will come last.

Do chinups and barbell curls, those will strengthen your biceps and eventually let you use heavier db's.

Lateral Raise Promoter RippedGuitarist's Avatar
    RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hopefully your working back, that will contribute quite a bit to bicep growth. Most don't need a whole lot for bi's after that, most are in the 3-6 sets range, some none at all and others like me up to 12 sets on occasion. Figure out how many sets you need, check your form, no elbow movement whatsoever, good contraction at the top, controlled negative, no back involvement whatsoever.

You might be better off sticking with set exercises instead of mixing them up constantly, this way you get really good at those exercises, instead of moderate at a bunch. I'd maybe change up the exercise to a new one anywhere from 3-8 weeks, or when gains slow.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    stop switching every workout; CNS can't adapt and youdon't get maximum strength benefits.
    <->

Lateral Raise Promoter RippedGuitarist's Avatar
    RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    stop switching every workout; CNS can't adapt and youdon't get maximum strength benefits.
    Yeah what I said.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by RippedGuitarist
    Yeah what I said.

<->

Okay, keep with the same exercises? I can do that .

Btw, I like to think I have one of the better forms in all of my exercises in my gym. I started lifting with very low weights to get used to good form, and I still maintain that form, so I don't think form is my lack of progression.

I also ALWAYS do back / biceps, but I switch up my bicep exercises EVERY week.

Here's what I am going to do tomorrow, input will be appreciated.

Incline Alternating DB curl : 3x8.

Close Grip EZ-bar curl : 3x8.

Alternating One-Armed DB Preacher curl : 3x8.

Any other exercises I should add ( or swap) will be appreciated. I'm looking for a good finisher bicep exercise to add to this, but I can't really think of anything that does what I already have on there.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by HuHu
    Okay, keep with the same exercises? I can do that .

Btw, I like to think I have one of the better forms in all of my exercises in my gym. I started lifting with very low weights to get used to good form, and I still maintain that form, so I don't think form is my lack of progression.

Here's what I am going to do tomorrow, input will be appreciated.

Incline Alternating DB curl : 3x8.

Close Grip EZ-bar curl : 3x8.

Alternating One-Armed DB Preacher curl : 3x8.

Any other exercises I should add ( or swap) will be appreciated. I'm looking for a good finisher bicep exercise to add to this, but I can't really think of anything that does what I already have on there.
    Do you have access to cables?
    Time To Re-Schedule

SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000) SM373 is just really nice. (+1000)
    In all honesty, why are you worried about gaining strength in your biceps?

Increase each of your back exercises and I guarantee you'll break this plateau. I don't think it's your routine that's the problem. I think it's your back strength.

Yes, I have access to cables.

Well, I have been improving tremendously with my back exercises, so I am not sure if it's my back that's the problem. My inconsistency with my biceps are what the other posters have said, so I'm going along with that until more people prove me otherwise .

Yes, I have access to cables.

Well, I have been improving tremendously with my back exercises, so I am not sure if it's my back that's the problem. My inconsistency with my biceps are what the other posters have said, so I'm going along with that until more people prove me otherwise .

Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    De ja-vu.
    Squats are easy.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    HUHU: let me take this into another tack:

I assume you are working out in a commercial gym, where you are limited to set increases in the dumbbells????

in which case, 5 pounds is the smallest jump that you can make......

If you were using adjustable bells, you would then have the option of adding either a 2 and a half or even a lowly one and a quarter to increase weight......

sometimes, minute differences like that can "fool" your body better, and allow you to make even slower, but steady progress.....

in many movments, even a 5 pound jump can mean an awful lot: a great example of that is in lateral raises........the difference between , say, 30 and 35 or 35 and 40 can seem enormous at times......

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI
    HUHU: let me take this into another tack:

I assume you are working out in a commercial gym, where you are limited to set increases in the dumbbells????

in which case, 5 pounds is the smallest jump that you can make......

If you were using adjustable bells, you would then have the option of adding either a 2 and a half or even a lowly one and a quarter to increase weight......

sometimes, minute differences like that can "fool" your body better, and allow you to make even slower, but steady progress.....

in many movments, even a 5 pound jump can mean an awful lot: a great example of that is in lateral raises........the difference between , say, 30 and 35 or 35 and 40 can seem enormous at times......
    So right, John. Man! If there's one thing my Gold's lacks, it's 2.5 incremental DB's above 30. My old gym went all the way up to 57.5.
    Time To Re-Schedule

2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've been stuck at between 25-30 lb dumbells for a while now, about three months. I switch up my bicep exercises every week with a variation of barbell, EZ-bar, cables, and dumbells. I do biceps once a week, and although I HAVE seen growth in my biceps, is it normal to have a bicep WEIGHT-LIFT plateau? And my other muscle groups seem to be able to lift more weight gradually.. Anyone have any input on this?
    Have a spotter help you with a set of Negatives after each set of your routine, that should help shake things up. Are you doing any hammer or reverse curls?
    Yes, every muscle in the body is prone to plateau when training it, that is when you would change up your routine up too catch the muscle "off guard."
    Hope that helps.

lifting for short people utjock12's Avatar
    utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i bet your forearms are too weak. work on your grip with some deadlifts and shrugs. the others are probably right about the 5 lb increase with dumbells.

if you dont have a choice with the weight increment, id say make sure you do your curls sitting down so it makes them harder. and if you need to make the jump, do those 35s standing up to make it a bit easier, and as your strength goes up do the 35s sitting down.
    succeeding is not enough, others must fail.

Hmm, I never really do forearms exercises other than when it's worked when I do shrugs.

I will start incorporating forearm exercises on arm days, I suppose.

lifting for short people utjock12's Avatar
    utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    forarm strength is targetted will through grip excersizes not necessarily forarm curls or some other "forarm" excersize.

do some pullups with a towel to work on that grip (you might do 1 or 2 the first time they are quite hard) and do some plate pinches. there are some good articles on the bb.com supersite that will help out a lot.

when i started incorporating these excersizes in my routine my forarms grew big time and helped out with all of my other excersizes.
    succeeding is not enough, others must fail.

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

But what exercises are you doing for back?

I am starting to do pullups now. I add one rep every time I do back. For instance, I do 9 BW reps, then 8, then 7, all the way down to 1, with little to no rest.

I then do either bent over barbell rows, almost always bent over DB rows, lat pulldowns, and maybe some DLs.

tadolfi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tadolfi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes it is normal to plateau.
    If your bicep is growing, don't worry about the amount of weight - work on form and keep it tight.

And, what is a plateau to you?
    I believe that if you are getting one more rep on any set, you are using less rest time between sets, you are able to do the last set with 5 lbs. more but only six reps or that your arms are still growing - you ARE NOT at a plateau.

Back will help as others say, but don't do your back exercises with your focus on arms.