Closed Thread
    hoteljohn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

losing the fat above my groin

i am just starting to get back in shape,what exercise is good for firming the fat area above my groin? this is not a joke, i used to be in shape, but let myself go. any help would be greatly appriciated

FreightTrian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I would try leg lifts and lots of cardio (treadmill)

Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000) Zen_Lifter is just really nice. (+1000)
    the only way to firm and get rid of fat in any area is diet and cardio...that is a common area for fat storage on guys and is usually one of the last places that the fat will come off, and one of the first places the fat will go on.
    "Change is Inevitable, Progress Isn't"

P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    cardio will be your best bet, along with diet, but you can do some abs on the hyper machine to hit that area better than anything else, IMO
    "You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As is your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny."-
    The Upanishads, Bridhadaranyaka IV. 5

"Kill the buddha!"

Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Like everyone is saying, you can't spot reduce. Doing hundreds of crunches won't get rid of the fat around that area. It will only make the muscle stronger and larger. To lose fat, you need to do cario at least 3 times a week for 25-35 minutes each session. I would start out with one cardio day per week and work your way up (for knees/joints sake ). Eat 4-6 healthy sensible meals over the day and stick to any workout split you feel is good for you. Post here if you want us.

sqweezer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I disagree, yes there is such thing as spot reduction and also spot gaining. otherwise we would never do stomach work, ever. Being a mentzer man, i expect some criticism from this. Try this exercise in the shower , why its a good time , in the shower have hot water pounding on your lower back. stick your arms out straight about shoulder height on the back of the wall and suck in your lower abs, lift your pelvis as high as possible. pull up the pelvis, sometimes sqweezing your but together can help this, lift the pelvis ,take a little breath and lift higher, panting to a count of 10. Do one set of this , continue with your shower and a minute or two later, do one more set and that is it. You can do this almost everyday. If you cant spot reduce than why would anyone do a hanging leg raise, make sense. This exercise will target exactly what your are wanting to do. Taught to me by mr olympia larry scott. Make 2003 your best training year ever. Never ever overtrain.

Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by sqweezer
    I disagree, yes there is such thing as spot reduction and also spot gaining. otherwise we would never do stomach work, ever. Being a mentzer man, i expect some criticism from this. Try this exercise in the shower , why its a good time , in the shower have hot water pounding on your lower back. stick your arms out straight about shoulder height on the back of the wall and suck in your lower abs, lift your pelvis as high as possible. pull up the pelvis, sometimes sqweezing your but together can help this, lift the pelvis ,take a little breath and lift higher, panting to a count of 10. Do one set of this , continue with your shower and a minute or two later, do one more set and that is it. You can do this almost everyday. If you cant spot reduce than why would anyone do a hanging leg raise, make sense. This exercise will target exactly what your are wanting to do. Taught to me by mr olympia larry scott. Make 2003 your best training year ever. Never ever overtrain.
    Shut the hell up. You have no idea what you are talking about. You can't get rid of fat around a certain area by doing an exercise targetting that muscle group. Its scientifically proven. You can only gain muscle. What's the point of hanging leg raises? Well let me see... What is the point of bench pressing or any exercise. To strengthen the muscle and make it bigger. Not to get rid of the fat around it. Thats a good dieat and cardio. And no you don't make sense at all! And also, spot gaining? ....

I bet your one of those guys that thought carbs cant' turn to fat and that fat always turns to fat i bet. Sorry but people don't do stomach, hanging leg raises , etc to strengthen abs. Fat loss may occur over the entire body when doing abs, but more weight can come off the stomach. I can can give some info if you want and name names of people that do believe in spot reduction. You mean you don't know what spot gaining is, ha ha ha ha. yes i do know what im talking about. name one Ok, i will Arnold, no not arnold from happy day, name another, larry scott, another, dorian yates, another , vince gironda. too much to list. I've done this exercise and may of lost some all over but even more there.

fsheva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Of course you can spot reduce. It's called liposuction.
    *edit* http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dean9.htm
    read #4.
    Last edited by fsheva; 12-30-2002 at 11:33 PM.

Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs down

I bet your one of those guys that thought carbs cant' turn to fat and that fat always turns to fat i bet. Sorry but people don't do stomach, hanging leg raises , etc to strengthen abs. Fat loss may occur over the entire body when doing abs, but more weight can come off the stomach. I can can give some info if you want and name names of people that do believe in spot reduction. You mean you don't know what spot gaining is, ha ha ha ha. yes i do know what im talking about. name one Ok, i will Arnold, no not arnold from happy day, name another, larry scott, another, dorian yates, another , vince gironda. too much to list. I've done this exercise and may of lost some all over but even more there.
    How in the hell can you spot gain? Hmmm lets see today i'm gonna down a cheese burger and fries and i want the fat to go to my ass, maybe tomorrow i'll put some fat around my calves. Your an ass and nothing you say makes sense. People don't work abs to strengthen them?, umm i do. Quit posting worthless replies

Listen. I don't want the guy who made this post to start repping away on everything thinking he will lose fat in that area. It's a proven fact you can't spot reduce. I mean all your doing is tearing down the muscle fibers in the targetted area. If we could spot reduce, why doc ardio or even have a good diet. All we would have to do is do 1000 crunches and we would have a six pack right?

P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    spot reduction is impossible without drugs, and even then it is debated by many.
    However, it should be said that working your abs hard while losing far will produce better visual results quicker. six pack abs are not going to happen with much bf but as more muscle is gained in that area it can appear tighter. This is not spot reduction, merely muscle addition that results in a better appearance, but not actually lower bodyfat.
    in other words, for great abs you have to diet, do cardio, and train abs!
    "You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As is your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny."-
    The Upanishads, Bridhadaranyaka IV. 5

"Kill the buddha!"

Well, if you work your abs while losing fat, you will be eating under the maintenance # of calories, so no matter how hard you work your abs, you'll be gaining practically nothing, so the only reason to work abs IMO is the same reason you work everything else while cutting, to preserve as much muscle as possible.

undroo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I heard that sex is great for those lower abs.

Unfortunately, every time I go to work my lower abs, I run out of internet hours!!

:P

sorry but me and others spot reduce all the time, i did yesterday, and yes my lower abs are smaller than yesterday with the exercises i did. Even if i did lose weight all over, more weight came off the lower abs.
    Spot gaining is like when i needed lower biceps and did larry scott curls and finaly after 8 years developed my lower biceps.

Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Brick has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    sorry but me and others spot reduce all the time, i did yesterday, and yes my lower abs are smaller than yesterday with the exercises i did. Even if i did lose weight all over, more weight came off the lower abs.
    Spot gaining is like when i needed lower biceps and did larry scott curls and finaly after 8 years developed my lower biceps.
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

What ever. I'm not going to waste my time here trying to tell you something that has been scientifcally proven many times only applies to everyone but you .

[sarcasm]So if I want a greater peak for my bicep, what exercises should I do?[/sarcasm]

bigdun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've got to go with Sycho and Brick on this one.

I've been doing abs for 3 months with no change in my diet and I gained 1/2 in my stomach. No spot reduction there.

scientifically proven, yeah sure thing, i guess like all the other proven crap also. next year i bet the scientific community change their minds about what they thought was correct in many areas.
    Just to add , a guy doing 99 sets wouldn't see very good results but better than the guy doing 100 sets , and so on and so on, until the guy doing just one set to failure would see better results than the one doing 2 sets to failure. thats if you had 100 just like you. More reason to follow what mentzer recommends.

SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) SaNdMaN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just to add , a guy doing 99 sets wouldn't see very good results but better than the guy doing 100 sets , and so on and so on, until the guy doing just one set to failure would see better results than the one doing 2 sets to failure. thats if you had 100 just like you. More reason to follow what mentzer recommends.
    Ok, i'm an HIT fan also... but WHAT THE PHUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, AND WHAT THE PHUCK DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH SPOT REDUCTION? (it's late here so maybe it's just me)

eric0668 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sychokid View Post
    Listen. I don't want the guy who made this post to start repping away on everything thinking he will lose fat in that area. It's a proven fact you can't spot reduce. I mean all your doing is tearing down the muscle fibers in the targetted area. If we could spot reduce, why doc ardio or even have a good diet. All we would have to do is do 1000 crunches and we would have a six pack right?
    Dude, way to go. I am a total novice, but I liked working out so much a year or two ago and got into it, started classes to train, etc... There is no spot fat loss. Only a good well thought out balanced program

And believe it or not, this does not consist of a lot, if any, crunches. Also, not a ton of cardio. Everyday before and after (more then) your workout, and maybe one or two days of all cardio
    Cardio AND weight lifting (specifically negative weight) help lose the most

Good luck to all, especially myself , who is getting back into it due to the reason above, looks, high cholesterol, and higher lipids

tfowl53 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by hoteljohn View Post
    i am just starting to get back in shape,what exercise is good for firming the fat area above my groin? this is not a joke, i used to be in shape, but let myself go. any help would be greatly appriciated

Really comes down to burning fat. Good diet and stomach exercise will eventually get rid of the puffy region above the genitals. Your belly fat will go before that it will take time. That's one of those areas like the chest that will be the last to burn before you face stomach thighs and love handles. Snd even if you try every day it will never be completely and flat. You'll lose some fat but eventually it will be muscle and always have that little bulge. Lipo is the best if you still are unhappy. Ju

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Fun thread but conversation was over 16 years ago.