benson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rugby + the bleep test

Hey guys i'm training to get biger, faster and stronger for rugby. I play flanker so what do you reckon would be a good level to be getting on the bleep test? I need to perform well in them as our coach is assessing us on them regularly.

Our team is going to be trying to play fast ball all the time so fitness is obviously going to be needed. Do you think that weight training mon, wed, friday and then bike riding/ jogging/ rowing machine on 3 other days for about 1 hour is ok?

tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    dependent on your current level of fitness.... don't worry so much about the first time, because there is nothing to gauge it on. As long as you improve each time, good.

weight days are fine...

for cardio you need to cut out the bike riding. Rowing is great for fitness. Here is a starting point for rowing. 500m all out, 30 secs rest. Repeat 10 times. Try to get two sets that way. Doesn't seem like much, but it is a killer.

For running, interval training is key. While rugby is a sport of endurance, most of the time you are going back and forth from running to jogging; therefore, you need to train that way. Start by running for a minute (not all out, that is too much) and then after that take a jog for a minute. You need good anaerobic conditioning. Being able to jog for 5 miles isn't going to matter on the pitch when you have to sprint after a ruck to be in position for the next phase. Being able to be damn near out of breath and still be able to run is the key.

Interval training is the best way to get fit, period. Bike riding does not simulate the action on the field cardio-wise. Rowing does because you are moving arms, legs, back all in unison.

When you advance in your fitness you can incorporate burpees, pushups, situps and other bodyweight exercises into your runs.. For example, run one block, do 25 pushups. After the 2nd block, do 20 burpees, etc..

I play D1 rugby in NY and have played the sport at a high level for a long time. I participated in some brutual conditioning sessions at my alma mater with the current team and sometimes they do fitness for about 90 minutes before drills even start.

Good luck, and if you have any questions about rugby training, tips or anything to do with the sport, PM me.
    http://www.lirugby.com

Atheism (n): What makes sense.

benson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) benson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    great post thanks

EDIT: i'm a bit gutted that you say not to do bike riding as that is what myself and friends do quite often. Wouldn't it be ok just for helping to burn off a few extra pounds?

tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50) tightheadprop will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by benson
    great post thanks

EDIT: i'm a bit gutted that you say not to do bike riding as that is what myself and friends do quite often. Wouldn't it be ok just for helping to burn off a few extra pounds?
    yes it would... but as far as overall fitness, unless you are pushing that bike ride to the max, IMO, it isn't going to help much

kiwisam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey bro if your wanting to be a top flanker ecspecially openside youll have to be fit as hell. scoring at least mid 13s in the beep.
    i went to school with and played 1st XV rugby with tanerau latimer whose currently playing for the crusaders and the new zealand maoris and whilst at school he was getting mid 16s on the beep test and now that he actually getting paid to train and play its now well over 17.
    hope thats any help if it isnt thats sweet but if you wanna be a good flanker rip into your training and bust arse to be the best.

Thanks for the replies,

I think I should be able to get a mid 13 next time

Originally Posted by benson
    Thanks for the replies,

I think I should be able to get a mid 13 next time
    Good goal, and then shoot for higher next time.

start wearing purple! benjamin88's Avatar
    benjamin88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjamin88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    might sound stupid, but get out on the feild n practice the bleep test, if u dedicated, u will do this, it is probaly the single most effective way to improve your performance on the bleep test

Originally Posted by benjamin88
    might sound stupid, but get out on the feild n practice the bleep test, if u dedicated, u will do this, it is probaly the single most effective way to improve your performance on the bleep test
    That is true as well. However improving your overall anaerobic conditioning other ways is going to be incredibly effective. Plus he won't have to spend a dime buying the bleep tape.

Rob878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rob878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whilst the beep test is a good indicator of Max oxygen uptake. Dave Reddin the england fitness coach scrapped the test for the england rugby team as it had no direct bearing on the positions in rugby, and devised his own systems.

As Tighthead has pointed out interval training is the way forward especially in the hectic world of forward play.

Obviously your coach will be targetting how he wants to play and as you have said that you are targeting quick ball from the break down and i assume a more expansive style of play then your fitness in the back row will be crucial to achieving this style. As at openside you should be the first to the break down or be supporting the backs.

So with this in mind in addition to the training regimes Tightheadprop has mentioned, a couple more are:

If you have access to a Scrummage machine. Set it up so you can just get metal on metal when you press. Then a set of 10 presses, up sprint across the middle of the pitch and back 20 secs rest and repeat. 5-10 sets is a start. The basic premiss being you are trying to cope with sprinting/ running with lactic heavy legs.

Another classic from the land of kilts.

Jog touchline to 22 sprint to the other 22 jog to touchline then repeat on your return. Aim for 3 to 4 reps (thats there and back) and up to 5 sets.

There are loads of regimes you can use.

Other than that have a look at Scott Donalds training log well worth the time taken to read it

Rob
    Obesity. Obesity! They say we're in the middle of an obesity epidemic.
    An epidemic like it is polio. Like we'll be telling our grand kids about it one day.
    The Great Obesity Epidemic of 2004.
    How did you get through it grandpa??
    Oh, it was horrible Johnny, there was cheesecake and pork chops everywhere

Lazy B - 'Underwear Goes Inside The Pants'

RatsGoalie33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RatsGoalie33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RatsGoalie33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RatsGoalie33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RatsGoalie33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RatsGoalie33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RatsGoalie33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RatsGoalie33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RatsGoalie33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RatsGoalie33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RatsGoalie33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i did that bleep test during hockey camp twice last year, hard sh*t.
    i got to like 11 or 12 i think. I would say for someone who is really conditioned, 14 would be good. (there was this one kid there who got to freaking 20. ridiculous.)
    weight: 165
    max bench: 210
    max deadlift: 305
    mile time: 5:54
    NYS section 2 high school hockey Goalie of the Year 2005-2006

goals:
    1000 lb. club
    5:30 mile time

Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frodo16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, aim for at least 13, possibly 15-16 if you are truly insane.

As a fellow flanker, i believe that we need to have the workrate of two men. Opensides need to be at every breakdown first, Blindsides need to put in the tackle and be able to cause some mayhem etc. and be there to clear out/defend a ruck.

A good example is Lewis Moody, mad as a bag of badgers, he is what i aspire to be, (i am more of a bergamasco personally)lightning when he has ball in hand, at every breakdown, and doesnt mind the occasional dust up! He is everywhere on the field. Look at england vs Ireland, he made most of the try saving tackles.