Quark79 is not very helpful. (-500) Quark79 is not very helpful. (-500) Quark79 is not very helpful. (-500) Quark79 is not very helpful. (-500) Quark79 is not very helpful. (-500) Quark79 is not very helpful. (-500) Quark79 is not very helpful. (-500) Quark79 is not very helpful. (-500) Quark79 is not very helpful. (-500) Quark79 is not very helpful. (-500) Quark79 is not very helpful. (-500)

The Golden Age of Iron Men

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/

Came across this very informative link that has loads of information about the true golden age of iron men (late 19th century - early 20th century) featuring the likes of Eugene Sandow, Herman Goerner, Charles Atlas and many others.

The site also contains news, magazine articles and books published about these men and their amazing feats of strength and muscularly developed bodies.

Eugene Sandow who can be considered the first true bodybuilder had published a few books and what surprised me was how far ahead of his time he was in his knowledge. This is the link to his books (go to the bottom of the page):

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/sandowindex.htm

Even back then, these men emphasized the importance of free weights over machines (they understood the concept of range of motion for stimulating hyperthrothy and strength) and also realized the mind-body connection and how physical culture aided not only in a healthier, stronger body but also a healthier, stronger mind.

In skimming some of their articles and books, they also emphasized the importance of symmetrical development (discouraging the notion of the top-heavy look that some favored even during those times) for overall health and strength.

They encouraged women to engage in the sport as well, even though (just as it is today) the prevailing fear back then was that a woman engaged in exercise may lose her sexuality and feminine grace.

These are the true pioneers of this craft and those of you with an interest in the history of bodybuilding might find this interesting. I was really surprised to find that most of the advice given by them is still applicable today.

AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Very cool.

Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yea I came across that link a while ago, very cool to read all the stories.

Also real cool to compare yourself to the older BB'ers and strongmen. I have some beat on strength and mass so that feels like an awesome accomplishment!
    6'6

flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Quark79
    http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/

Came across this very informative link that has loads of information about the true golden age of iron men (late 19th century - early 20th century) featuring the likes of Eugene Sandow, Herman Goerner, Charles Atlas and many others.

The site also contains news, magazine articles and books published about these men and their amazing feats of strength and muscularly developed bodies.

Eugene Sandow who can be considered the first true bodybuilder had published a few books and what surprised me was how far ahead of his time he was in his knowledge. This is the link to his books (go to the bottom of the page):

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/sandowindex.htm

Even back then, these men emphasized the importance of free weights over machines (they understood the concept of range of motion for stimulating hyperthrothy and strength) and also realized the mind-body connection and how physical culture aided not only in a healthier, stronger body but also a healthier, stronger mind.

In skimming some of their articles and books, they also emphasized the importance of symmetrical development (discouraging the notion of the top-heavy look that some favored even during those times) for overall health and strength.

They encouraged women to engage in the sport as well, even though (just as it is today) the prevailing fear back then was that a woman engaged in exercise may lose her sexuality and feminine grace.

These are the true pioneers of this craft and those of you with an interest in the history of bodybuilding might find this interesting. I was really surprised to find that most of the advice given by them is still applicable today.
    charles atlas was a fraud

JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by flaxman78
    Yeah.. and arnold had 16 inch arms, zane was a swimmer, bleh blah blah blah... really growing tired of all the posts you make discrediting people.

jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by flaxman78 View Post
    Why not just STFU and learn something!

Insert custom user title mark118's Avatar
    mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000) mark118 is just really nice. (+1000)
    based on what information?

Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Big Natural is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You are such a Hero for saying that, may I be your best Friend?
    6'6

JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Talking

5'8", 167 lbs
    Wow

Originally Posted by Big Natural View Post
    You are such a Hero for saying that, may I be your best Friend?
    No, please be my best friend.

flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flaxman78 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mark118 View Post
    i will provide you ,info about this.i read somewhere on net.that he(charles)used to lift..weight.but he advocated his dynamic tension mathod. just to earn money.i am searching i will soon provide you link.

Talking

Originally Posted by JuicyCop2 View Post
    Yeah.. and arnold had 16 inch arms, zane was a swimmer, bleh blah blah blah... really growing tired of all the posts you make discrediting people.
    for all those who want to know the reality
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson141.htm

roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    for all those who want to know the reality
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson141.htm
    it may or may not be that atlas used weights, however you can't rely on anything dan lurie says because he was a shlockmiester himself.

you have to find another source. and that is ALWAYS a good practice anyway regardless the subject.
    believe none of what you read and half of what you see.

"I do not know" is the birth of wisdom.

JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JayLS1-327 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by roid gut View Post
    it may or may not be that atlas used weights, however you can't rely on anything dan lurie says because he was a shlockmiester himself.

you have to find another source. and that is ALWAYS a good practice anyway regardless the subject.

Dan's the same guy that's been whining for years that Arnold got calf implants when he was competing.

roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50) roid gut will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JayLS1-327 View Post
    Dan's the same guy that's been whining for years that Arnold got calf implants when he was competing.
    and i'm sure that if it were him promoting arnold he'd have STFU!

that's why he's not a reliable source. man the bodybuilding culture is full of used car salesmen.

there has got to be a way to do this thing right. roids and all.

there is too much chicken shiit all the way around, we need some balls and brains. i think through bodybuilding there may be ways to effect big and much needed change not only in bodybuilding but in society at large.
    believe none of what you read and half of what you see.

"I do not know" is the birth of wisdom.

FitManJack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FitManJack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FitManJack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FitManJack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FitManJack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FitManJack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FitManJack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FitManJack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FitManJack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FitManJack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FitManJack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Kindly request you close your pie hole. Much appreciated.

FMJ
    "To argue with a man who has renounced the faculty of reason is like giving medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

"Profanity is the crutch of the inarticulate motherf*cker." - Lloyd Bonifide

Alakazoodble will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alakazoodble will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alakazoodble will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alakazoodble will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alakazoodble will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alakazoodble will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alakazoodble will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alakazoodble will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alakazoodble will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alakazoodble will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alakazoodble will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mark118 View Post
    Heres what Jack LaLanne, the Godfather of fitness, had to say about Atlas:

Other names became associated with the commercialization of exercise during the thirties and forties, but Jack was revered by them all. A Brooklyn boy named Angelo Sicileano changed his name to Charles Atlas and actually licensed the myth of his transformation from a "98-pound weakling" to a mail-order outfit some years before Jack burst onto the health scene. An early member of Jack's Oakland gym, Vic Tanney, covered dumbbells with chrome and copied some of Jack's gym machines for an early chain of clubs that bore his name. "Vic didn't keep the damned gyms clean," Jack told me. "I used to tell him to clean 'em up and give personal attention to his patrons. 'Aw, Jack,' he'd say. 'People don't really want to exercise. Just take their money.' The dumbass didn't listen to me, and he went bankrupt in the end. Charlie Atlas and I were friends till the day he died. I loved Charlie--but God, did he get fat. 'Jack,' he'd say when I told him to stop, 'I can't. I love to eat. I'm Italian.'
    http://outside.away.com/outside/maga.../11f_jack.html