Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    JoshuaD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rippetoe 3x5 - Starting Strength Journal.

Week 1, Day 1 - July 3rd, 2006

Workout A

Squats: 3x5x65

Bench press: 3x5x75

Deadlift: 1x5x65

I'm 5'11 and around 140 lbs. (I'm picking up a scale tommorow)

I wasn't sure how much weight to start with, so I started with the bar in each warmup and added a little at a time. Today's the day after I think I could have benched more. My legs are really sore, my chest is only a little bit.

I also took it easier than I thought I could have on the deadlift. I was having trouble keeping good form, and I didn't want to injure myself. I'm looking forward to friday so I can take another shot at this one.

I was swimming earlier that day day, and swam again the day after I worked out. I stretched inbetween each rep.

The entire workout took me around an hour.

Motivational Music: John Frusciante - Inside of Emptiness, John Frusciante - The Will to Death.

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Congratulations on taking a huge step in the right direction. I'll subscribe to your journal so I can watch your progress. Good luck with your coming workouts.

chiefhog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chiefhog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chiefhog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chiefhog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chiefhog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chiefhog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chiefhog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chiefhog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chiefhog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chiefhog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chiefhog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Keep eating and lifting smart and you will be amazed where will be in a year. Stick with the basics. Good luck.

KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey bro -- I checked out your other post in the workouts forum and read through your situation/questions. Good **** man! I'm subscribing to your journal to watch how things go with it.

I'm not sure if anyone has linked (IMO) the best website on the planet for someone learning proper weight training -- Madcow's. Between him, Rippetoe, Glenn Pendlay, and these boards, you have all the weapons you need.

Overview: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...0The%20Program
    Intermediate 5x5: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm

You'd be doing yourself the greatest favour possible by reading every page, link, and paragraph from this website. The Intermediate 5x5 isn't something you should jump into just yet, but the theory and ideas and discussions surrounding it are absolutely applicable to your situation with Rippetoe's Starting Strength. Take your time with it; the site isn't going anywhere.

Also, from your original thread you had questions about good lifting form. I think this site tops most others I've seen in helping with that.

Exercise descriptions/videos: http://www.bsu.edu/webapps2/strengthlab/home.htm

-- KhorneDeth
    Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color....

Week 1, day 2 - July 5th, 2006

Workout B

Squats 3x5x65

Military Press 3x5x50

Power Clean

I simply love doing squats. I'm happy I'm doing them in both workout routines. Depending on how my legs are feeling, I might try to ramp it up to 70 lbs next workout. I felt the weight was right where it should be today. I was (mostly) keeping good form and was struggling to finish all three work sets.

The military presses were difficult. For my warmup on this one I did 2x5xbar, 1x5xbar, 1x3x50, 1x2x50. My plan was to go to 55 for my work set, but I was struggling to get those 1x3's and 1x2's up, so I decided to stick to 50. I'm afraid I my have been cheating a little on these and allowing my back to arc (shoulders and hips back, stomach forward). On my second work set I was only able to complete 4 reps, but on my 3rd I managed to get the fifth up there. Depending on how I feel I've developed, I may use some dumbbells for warmup next week, and stick to the bar alone for my workset.

I chose to forgo the Power cleans today. From what I understand they're potentially dangerous, and I don't feel I have the knowledge or lower back strength to execute them in good form with even just the bar. Until I build that up I'm looking for alternatives. Any suggestions?

Inspirational Music: John Frusciante - The Will to Death, Megadeth - Rust in Peace.

Thanks to everyone for the support, it's a nice motivation knowing I have to come back here and report how I did. I don't wanna have to come in and say "i skipped the workout today". It'll keep me moving.

Khorne: Thanks for the links. I haven't read them all yet, but I plan to.

Loves heavy stuff Yorkshire Lad's Avatar
    Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Yorkshire Lad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You are the same weight I was when I started this program.

Enjoy it and good luck!
    My Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=968826

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JoshuaD
    I simply love doing squats. I'm happy I'm doing them in both workout routines. Depending on how my legs are feeling, I might try to ramp it up to 70 lbs next workout. I felt the weight was right where it should be today. I was (mostly) keeping good form and was struggling to finish all three work sets.
    Smart move keeping the weight where it was. Don't move up in weight unless you can do all your sets and reps in perfect form.

The military presses were difficult. For my warmup on this one I did 2x5xbar, 1x5xbar, 1x3x50, 1x2x50. My plan was to go to 55 for my work set, but I was struggling to get those 1x3's and 1x2's up, so I decided to stick to 50. I'm afraid I my have been cheating a little on these and allowing my back to arc (shoulders and hips back, stomach forward). On my second work set I was only able to complete 4 reps, but on my 3rd I managed to get the fifth up there. Depending on how I feel I've developed, I may use some dumbbells for warmup next week, and stick to the bar alone for my workset.
    I think I can help here. You are using 50 as your workset and doing three sets of warmups with the bar. The problem is the bar is only five lbs lighter than your worksets. If 50 is a challenge for you then you've already fatigued your muscles doing 45 lbs. Since you're already using light weight I would either skip warm ups on the military presses (for now) or do as you say and maybe do some light stretches with the dumbbells. Either that, or you may just want to do three sets of five with the bar and then put the 50s on your next workout. I think both are viable options for you. Also, you might want to try deviating from strict military press form. Rippetoe isn't as much a stickler for form on the overhead presses as he is the other exercises.

I chose to forgo the Power cleans today. From what I understand they're potentially dangerous, and I don't feel I have the knowledge or lower back strength to execute them in good form with even just the bar. Until I build that up I'm looking for alternatives. Any suggestions?
    Bent over barbell rows are the alternative of choice for power cleans. Usually people don't do powercleans in this program unless they are training for sports. The "body building" sect uses the bent over barbell rows instead.
    Last edited by mjw8204; 07-05-2006 at 03:21 PM.

KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KhorneDeth has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with mjw on the issue with military pressing. It only makes good sense that if the empty bar plus 5lbs is getting a little heavy to maintain form, then you're essentially doing three WORK sets prior to that by "warming up" with just the empty bar. His suggestions are all great, I think.

Also, have you picked up the actual Starting Strength book yet? Any issues you might have regarding form -- be it squats, deads, OR powercleans -- will immediately be addressed from reading Rippetoe's material.

The book is actually written from the standpoint of a coach teaching other coaches HOW TO TEACH proper form to a beginner lifter. The distinction is noticeable and, IMO, incredibly useful. Hell, the Squat chapter alone is nearly 50 pages long... with dozens and dozens of illustrations to really drive home what picture perfect squat form looks like. And the coaching cues Ripp uses are invaluable to learning what proper form feels like.

The chapters on bench, deadlift, military, and powerclean are all done in the same fashion. In fact, the MAJOR bulk of the book is strictly geared toward 100% perfect execution of these five movements. The Starting Strength routine that many regard as one of the most effective for a beginner strength athelete is actually a single short chapter at the end of the book -- as if to say, "goddamnit learn to lift with good form, learn to lift with heavy weight, and you can't ****in lose! This program is just my example.... now get in the power rack!!"

So you have two homework assignments: buy/read Starting Strength cover to cover, and read Madcow's website over the next month or two.

Most people who's opinions are worth anything would agree you'll be lightyears ahead of just about every other idiot in every other gym in the country.

I admire your determination, sir. Make us proud!

-- KhorneDeth

It's funny, I woke up this morning (thursday) less sore than I did yesterday (wedensday) morning. I think the second workout actually made my leg muscles less sore. Is that common?

Also, have you picked up the actual Starting Strength book yet? Any issues you might have regarding form -- be it squats, deads, OR powercleans -- will immediately be addressed from reading Rippetoe's material.
    I had to order it on amazon. It should be here no later than the 11th.

Yeah, that's pretty normal for a solid workout to reduce the soreness you're feeling. It's all part of the body getting conditioned to the workload. In a couple weeks you'll probably set three PRs a week on squats and barely feel it the next day.

Week 1 - Day 3

Week 1, Day 3 - July 7th, 2006

Workout A

Squats: 3x5x70

Bench press: 3x5x80

Deadlift: 1x5x65

I was looking forward to todays workout all day. I was really sore after Monday's workout, but after wedensday's I was only a little sore, actually less sore after than when I woke up.

I bought a blender and a scale yesterday. I weighed in at 140lbs after today's workout.

I made a really good protien shake today too. A whole banana, 2-3 cups of oats, about 4 scoops of protien mix, and some milk. It made about 4 glasses of the stuff. Tasted good, and is definitely more hearty than just mix and milk.

I felt better about the deadlifts today as well. I figure my form's not right still, but it's closer. I'm looking forward to the 11th when Starting Strength should arrive and I can get better form.

Good workout today.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the program so far! You have a long productive road ahead if you play things right, dude. Awesome.

So, what again are your long term goals? Like, lets say we fast forward and you've "achieved" your targets with weight training and fitness -- what does that future state look like to you?

-- KhorneDeth

Registered User matthew johnson's Avatar
    matthew johnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    We are pretty much the same height and weight, and are both doing Rippetoe's program.I'll be keeping up with your journal and look forward to seeing our progress. My journal's in my signature.
    My Rippetoe program journa:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=826734

John 3:16

Hey Josh -- just checking in with you, dude. How's things? You didn't quit on us, did you??

-- KhorneDeth

Week 2, Day 1

Week 2, Day 1 - July 11th, 2006

Workout A

Squats: 3x5x70

Military Press: 3x5x50

Barbell Rows: 3x5x65

I expected the squats to be about the right weight this time, since the previous excercise it was dead on. Instead, they were too light! I definitely could have put another 5lbs on the bar, I'll do that next workout.

The military presses were still a struggle, but I lightened up the warmups a bit, so it wasn't as bad as the first time. I think i'll be at this weight for a bit longer.

I like the barbell rows. I was concerned about keeping good form and not hurting myself with the power cleans. Not as much an issue with these. The weight was light this time around, I was getting used to the motion. I'll probably kick it up 5-10lbs next time around.

I shifted my schedule from Monday/Wedensday/Friday to Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday. My mondays and wedensdays are always really busy.

Motivational Music: John Frusciante - Inside of Emptiness, Nirvana - Bleach
    Last edited by JoshuaD; 07-13-2006 at 01:12 PM.

Originally Posted by KhorneDeth
    Hey Josh -- just checking in with you, dude. How's things? You didn't quit on us, did you??

-- KhorneDeth
    Hey buddy, thanks for the checkup. I'm still here, just had a busy few days, didn't really have the time to post up. Looking forward to today's workout, probably get on it in 2-3 hours.

--Josh

Good ****, man. I wish I was in your position, lol -- to be small and skinny with nowhere to go but UP! I'm still struggling with trying to cut down cuz i'm too fat IMO and trying to put up new PRs.

Man, i love weight training.

-- KhorneDeth

Week 2, Day 2

Week 2, Day 2 - July 13th, 2006

Workout A

Squats: 3x5x75 (+5)

Bench press: 3x5x85 (+5)

Deadlift: 1x5x75 (+10)

Today's workout was awesome. I got myself really close to the edge of what I could handle. Both the squats and bench's were intense. I was keeping close attention to my form, and I was looking good most of the time. A few of the squats were weak and a few benches didn't come quite low enough.

I'm much more comfortable with the deadlifts than I was the last 2 times I did them. I intended to only do 70lbs, but after the warmup I knew I could handle 75. I probably could have gone as high as 85, but I'm being careful with this one, making sure my form is good, etc. My copy of Starting Strength has been delayed, so I'm waiting for that before I really push myself with these excercises that can potentially injure you.

Really good workout today.

Motivational Music: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (Jupiter)
    Last edited by JoshuaD; 07-14-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Originally Posted by KhorneDeth
    Good ****, man. I wish I was in your position, lol -- to be small and skinny with nowhere to go but UP! I'm still struggling with trying to cut down cuz i'm too fat IMO and trying to put up new PRs.

Man, i love weight training.

-- KhorneDeth
    Seriously. I'm enjoying it much more than I expected. Can you link me to your journal thread? I can't find it.

superfinger122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you go to a gym or do you do it at home? Also do you do it in front of mirrors to watch your form or do you have someone watching to make sure you have good form?

Seriously. I'm enjoying it much more than I expected. Can you link me to your journal thread? I can't find it.
    You know, I've always debated whether to start a journal on here or not..... I still haven't, but I just might consider it. If I do, i'll link you up bro

chico1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    im thinking of starting this program...how many warm up sets do u do for each exercise?

Location: On the Ho Chi Min Trail Sippin on a 40oz of Old English 800, Vietnam
    MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MISSINGLINK has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    LIFT EAT LIFT EAT LIFT EAT LIFT. Get the picture? Nice journal, I see bright things in your future
    Death is winning. Do something.- Sam Boyd

Originally Posted by superfinger122
    Do you go to a gym or do you do it at home? Also do you do it in front of mirrors to watch your form or do you have someone watching to make sure you have good form?
    I'm able to do all these excercises at home. We've got a mirror down there so I'm watching in that.

I imagine my form isn't perfect yet, but I'm paying very close attention to how my muscles are moving and where joints are being stressed.

For example, in the deadlift I tried a bunch of different feet positions until I was able to bend without that motion causing my knees to feel any stress inward or outward.

I'm looking forward to getting starting strength so I can improve my form even further.

Originally Posted by chico1
    im thinking of starting this program...how many warm up sets do u do for each exercise?
    My entire workout looked like this yesterday:

Squats:
    • 2x5@55
    • 1x5@60
    • 1x3@65
    • 1x2@70
    • 3x5@75 (Work Set)

Bench Press:
    • 2x5@Bar
    • 1x5@55
    • 1x3@65
    • 1x2@75
    • 3x5@85 (Work Set)

Deadlift:
    • 2x5@50
    • 1x5@55
    • 1x3@60
    • 1x2@65
    • 3x5@75 (Work Set)

I originally planned on doing 70 for the workset in the deadlift, but I was very sure I could do at least 75 after feeling the weight in the warmup.

LIFT EAT LIFT EAT LIFT EAT LIFT. Get the picture? Nice journal, I see bright things in your future
    . For the first week I was having trouble eating enough. I'm still not up to 4000 calories, but I'm getting closer. Gotta keep stuffing my face.
    Last edited by JoshuaD; 07-14-2006 at 11:47 AM.

I'm able to do all these excercises at home. We've got a mirror down there so I'm watching in that.

I imagine my form isn't perfect yet, but I'm paying very close attention to how my muscles are moving and where joints are being stressed.

For example, in the deadlift I tried a bunch of different feet positions until I was able to bend without that motion causing my knees to feel any stress inward or outward.

I'm looking forward to getting starting strength so I can improve my form even further.
    I wish I could work out at home. I'll have to wait till I get a place with a garage before I can do that. What are you using to squat with? Do you have a power rack or squat rack at home?

For your squats on that last exercise day, I would have axed the 2 warm up reps at 70 lbs if your worksets were at 75. I'm willing to bet your worksets would have been a little easier. You're doing great though. Keep up the good work.

superfinger122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh. Do you have a power cage?

I wanted to start this program on Monday but my mom dosen't have time to take me to they gym so I'm gonna save up my money to buy a 300 pound olympic weight set. My dad is gonna buy me a bench and after I get enough money I'm gonna save up to buy a power cage.

Week 2, Day 3 - July 15th, 2006

Workout B

Squats: 3x5x80 (+5)

Military Press: 3x5x50 (+0)

Barbell Rows: 1x5x65 (+5)

Todays workout was alright. I didn't work up a good sweat like I did two days ago. I actually messed up with the weights for the warmups for the squats, and was increasing each warmup by 10lbs instead of 5, I didn't realize until I was at the 1x3's, so I just let it level off and added 5lbs to the total weight I was going for. My legs are getting much stronger each workout.

The military presses are still really difficult. I'm considering going back in weight 5lbs next time in order to get the form down better. We'll see.

I could have done more weight on the barbell rows. I'll bump it up 5 or 10 next time.

I'm perfecting my protein shake. That thing is a beast right now. 3 scoops of protein mix, cup of oats, whole banana, a couple scoops of peanut butter, and however much milk until it's at the consistancy I want. Delicious and hearty.

Motivational Music: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (Mars), Seven Circles

Awesome dude, keep plugging away. It's good to make these mental notes on each session so you can guage the perceived level of effort required to lift X amount of weight. It can be a real motivator to come back 6 weeks later and see how you're now easily lifting 30lbs more than what used to be herculean effort for you! Awesome.

General advice for long term: don't get greedy. I'm thinking specifically about your comment on rows ("may add 5 or 10 next time") but the same could be applied to everything. Since you're starting out essentially from scratch and you literally have all the time in the world -- don't get greedy. There's no need to jump up 10 when you can step up 5. The goal is long-term, steady progression in the big lifts that matter. Currently, you're putting up 65lbs on rows, so 10lbs is an enormous leap percentage-wise (about 15%) of that working weight. Hell, even 5lbs is a pretty big percentage, but unless you have microplates, that's good enough.

You don't want to start missing lifts and stall the program early. Lets say you jump 10, then 10 again, then try for 10 more and miss some reps. That's only 2 sessions of progression and stall. Contrast that with 5lb jumps -- that's four sessions of progress, and very likely your body will have adapted and allow you to add another five, and ANOTHER five. Net result: 30lbs up and you owned the lifts, not missed them.

So, don't get greedy and ride this linear wave as long as you can!

-- KhorneDeth