youngdiesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngdiesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngdiesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngdiesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngdiesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngdiesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Peter Neff's Natural Bodybuilding 1985

I recently bought a reputable bodybuilding book written in 1985 by Peter Neff. My Dad says its a pretty decent bodybuilding book, but I would like some outside information. To those who are familiar with it, would you recommend using the information and routines he suggests in his book?

I just began the beginner's break-in routine which he recommends you do first and it looks like this:
    Full-Body Split
    Each workout day is on Monday-Thursday-Sunday etc. giving two rest days in between...

Monday:
    Pecs: Bench Press 2 sets, 10, 10
    Delts: Military press 2 sets, 12, 12
    Lats: Bent-over rows 2 sets, 12, 12
    Traps: Shoulder shrugs 2 sets, 12
    Biceps: Standing curls 1 set, 10
    Forearms: Wrist curls 1 set, 20
    Triceps: Standing tricep extensions 1 set, 10
    Quads: Parallel squats 2 sets, 12, 12
    Hams: Leg curls 1 set, 12
    Calves: One-legged standing calf raise 2 sets, 20, 20
    Abs: Bent-knee situps 1 set, up to 50

This is just a 4-week break-in routine for those who want to naturally weight lift. Upon completion of this program, he gives you split-body workout routine which seems to be pretty effective.

Any ideas on how up to date and effective this program is would be great.

olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000) olympic is just really nice. (+1000)
    In my humble opinion that looks like a decent workout to start off with if you are a beginner. The best thing about it is that its a full body workout and provides plenty of rest.
    Haven't read that book so can't provide any opinion on that.
    I can do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength- Philippians 4:13

youngdiesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngdiesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngdiesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngdiesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngdiesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) youngdiesel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks alot reps to you.
    Anyone else have any ideas?

sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sbrown_c4l has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my suggestion is for Quads, don't do parallel squats, do ass to grass
    "There's a fine line between being fearless and being stupid" Indian Larry

Originally Posted by sbrown_c4l
    my suggestion is for Quads, don't do parallel squats, do ass to grass
    The reason I do parallel squats oppose to A2G squats is because my knees are in pretty rough shape and I don't want to injure them. Plus they seem to be doing the trick as my quads are pretty sore today.
    Last edited by youngdiesel; 07-04-2006 at 05:40 PM.

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by youngdiesel
    The reason I do parallel squats oppose to A2G squats is because my knees are in pretty rough shape and I don't want to injure them. Plus they seem to be doing the trick as my quads are pretty sore today.
    You run a greater risk of injuring your knees stopping at parallel than you would going all the way down. Squats aren't just a quad exercise, either. Your body must exert greater force coming up from an full ROM squat.

Originally Posted by mjw8204
    You run a greater risk of injuring your knees stopping at parallel than you would going all the way down. Squats aren't just a quad exercise, either. Your body must exert greater force coming up from an full ROM squat.
    A2G I go then. Any other comments guys?