GolfMark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The Good and Bad from my 6-month fat loss

6 Months of Working-Out have quickly come and gone. What a life-changer.

Just wanted to share the good and bad from the past 1/2 year.

THE GOOD
    - Started slow. Didn't try to change everything in one day.
    - Changed my sleeping habits. Started getting up early. I didn't want an excuse about not being able to go at the end of the day because of work.
    - Got work-out clothing. Made me feel part of the gym crowd and excited me.
    - After one month, rewarded myself with an iPod Nano.
    - Got a trainer. Expensive but worth it. Focused on proper technique and kep me motivated. Figure I can get a new car or keep my old one and feel good. I made the right choice.

THE BAD
    - Didn't change my diet really for a couple of months. And then probably restricted my calories too much (rookie mistake). Body stored fat and burned muscle.
    - Didn't really have a set-plan. Which go in for the first couple of months (pre-trainer) and just go from exercise to exercise depending on what I wanted to do. Obviously, I avoided exercises I didn't like.
    - Didn't drink enough water initially. Once I started drinking a ton of water, I saw a lot more results.
    - Did all my exercises in a gym. I live in So. Cal and I should be doing stuff outside more. Plus, doing a bike and running in a gym prevents stabalizing muscles from being built.
    - Didn't really study nutrition. Took a few months for me to learn about proper diet (still learning).

The one thing I wish I did was take before pics with my shirt off. Obviously the last thing someone overweight wants to do is pose with their shirt off. My concern was that I wouldn't follow through on this and I didn't want people to think of me as a giver-up (which is more my issue -- wtf should I care what other people think of me -- human nature I suppose).

I have gone from 188 pounds to 158 pounds (I am 5'9"). Finally feel like I am getting in overall good shape. I am looking at this as more of a lifestyle issue than a diet or work-out program. Prepping right now for an Olympic tri.

Cheers

Bruzey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bruzey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bruzey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bruzey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bruzey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bruzey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bruzey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bruzey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bruzey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bruzey will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bruzey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Congratulations on your transformation. It takes a lot of determination to follow through with a 'cutting' program for 6 entire months, and it looks like it's paid off. Good job!
    LOL WUT

rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Perhaps i'll follow in your footsteps and post a good/bad for my own experience over the last few years:

The Good:
    -set goals (ie: run a marathon, get 10% bf) that were achievable and measureable
    -stayed active day to day (played intramural sports at university)
    -kept things in perspective (friends and family are more important then one workout)
    -scheduled a regular time to workout
    -made fitness a habit

The Bad:
    -didnt really focus on nutrition until this year
    -didnt continually monitor body fat until this year
    -wasnt consistent enough with the weight training

And in the past few months:

The good:
    -made a goal sheet
    -started running with my shirt off--get a tan + feel good about yourself
    -bought myself a nalgene bottle--encouraged me to drink more water
    -tracked my progress religiously--know exactly what you have to do to achieve your goals
    -totally revamped my diet
    -made cardio and weights a part of my lifestyle (bike to and from work)
    -did some form of exercise DAILY--made it a habit
    -got a training partener

The bad:
    -didnt have enough veggies at the start
    -didnt track my macronutrients regularily

GolfMark has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rmhildeb
    Perhaps i'll follow in your footsteps and post a good/bad for my own experience over the last few years:

The Good:
    -set goals (ie: run a marathon, get 10% bf) that were achievable and measureable
    -stayed active day to day (played intramural sports at university)
    -kept things in perspective (friends and family are more important then one workout)
    -scheduled a regular time to workout
    -made fitness a habit

The Bad:
    -didnt really focus on nutrition until this year
    -didnt continually monitor body fat until this year
    -wasnt consistent enough with the weight training

And in the past few months:

The good:
    -made a goal sheet
    -started running with my shirt off--get a tan + feel good about yourself
    -bought myself a nalgene bottle--encouraged me to drink more water
    -tracked my progress religiously--know exactly what you have to do to achieve your goals
    -totally revamped my diet
    -made cardio and weights a part of my lifestyle (bike to and from work)
    -did some form of exercise DAILY--made it a habit
    -got a training partener

The bad:
    -didnt have enough veggies at the start
    -didnt track my macronutrients regularily
    Good stuff.

Is it realistic to lose 2.5% bf in two weeks (your goal)?

Seems like a lot.

Goals are great. I should make more. Also feels good to complete goals. Can't just go around haphazard.

Cheers

rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rmhildeb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by GolfMark
    Good stuff.

Is it realistic to lose 2.5% bf in two weeks (your goal)?

Seems like a lot.

Goals are great. I should make more. Also feels good to complete goals. Can't just go around haphazard.

Cheers
    Nope, i'll probably overshoot it by a couple of weeks. That was my original goal i made at the start though, but part of me doesnt want to adjust it until July 16 rolls around.

JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How do you measure your weight and bodyfat, btw rmhildeb?

Just reading your sig, seems like you made huge gains from May26 to June3 when compared to the rest of your progress (which, btw, looks awesome). Do you just take measurements once/week?
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

- Arthur Schopenhauer

Originally Posted by Johnny USA
    How do you measure your weight and bodyfat, btw rmhildeb?

Just reading your sig, seems like you made huge gains from May26 to June3 when compared to the rest of your progress (which, btw, looks awesome). Do you just take measurements once/week?
    thanks

I measure both first thing on saturdays using the military method. I think the huge progress was due partly to water loss in the first little bit, but i'm not complaining. I also started biking to work (an hour each way) around then, so that was obviously a big contributor too.

obviously, my weight would be more 'accurate' if i measured right before bed instead of being really dehydrated with no food in my system, but if i do it in the morning i can get fairly consistent results (my LBM is kinda jumping around though...one week it said i went up a pound in LBM while losing a pound of fat...as long as my LBM isnt going down consistently though i dont worry)