Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    ThemoLife Alter Ego SupaNatural's Avatar
    SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SupaNatural is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Al Shades
    What is the insulin index? Insulin is secreted in response to elevated blood sugar levels. GI is a measure of those levels. If the GI is low, how can there be any significant insulin release?
    Insulin index is the measure of the insulin response to foods independent of blood sugar levels IIRC. It has been found that some calorie dense foods illicit an insulin response greater than that of its glycemic index indication.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...on/insulin.htm

The popular glycemic index is a measure of the speed at which carbohydrates enter the blood after a meal. A high-glycemic index means that blood sugar rises rapidly in response to a meal while a low-glycemic index means that blood sugar rises very slowly. Traditionally, nutritionists thought that the faster the carbs got into the blood, the bigger the insulin response. So in an attempt to manage insulin, they recommended always eating low-glycemic foods.

However, several studies since have shown that some low glycemic index foods have huge insulin responses! So the correlation between glycemic index and insulin response breaks down with some foods. For example, milk products have a very low glycemic index. But they promote insulin responses parallel to the highest glycemic foods. What's the deal? Well, it appears that there are several other factors that determine insulin release besides carb content and the rate of carb absorption.

This is why the insulin index was generated. This index actually measures insulin response to a food. So rather than assuming insulin response is correlated with carb absorption, these researchers decided to go ahead and measure it. And their results were eye opening!

Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Very interesting, this is new information. Thanks for the link.

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    not new information...most of the gi charts tlel u about insulin responpse too... its like fruits are high gi... but dont effect insulin, yet milk and potatos and other starchy foods are real low , but cause insulin response, its pretty common info for anybody that has looked into it, they go hand in hand, but yeah... follow that more than gi ratings.

Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by grapemaster
    not new information...most of the gi charts tlel u about insulin responpse too... its like fruits are high gi... but dont effect insulin, yet milk and potatos and other starchy foods are real low , but cause insulin response, its pretty common info for anybody that has looked into it, they go hand in hand, but yeah... follow that more than gi ratings.
    When you say that most GI charts mention it, are you referring to Glycemic Load (GL)? I have never seen an "insulin index" written on any GI chart, but then, I haven't looked at GI tables in a while.

According to this, it IS new.

The research on the insulin index of foods is intriguing but limited. Only 16 peer-reviewed articles in MEDLINE even mention the term "insulin index," and only one of them actually reports the results of food comparisons. By comparison, 244 peer-reviewed articles mention the glycemic index.
    If you happen to have any more links about it saved, I'd appreciate it if you threw them up.
    Last edited by Al Shades; 08-08-2006 at 12:40 PM.

chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    mmm would couple of hotwings kill ur progress.....i just had about 6 pecies....

chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubycheeks66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i know to stay away from white bread...but at my school the have delicious bread rolls i ate about 2 today and i dont eat anything else from school...are bread rolls considered white bread? they are white in the middle

Jericho-holic Spartan lionheart21's Avatar
    lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lionheart21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by chubycheeks66 View Post
    i know to stay away from white bread...but at my school the have delicious bread rolls i ate about 2 today and i dont eat anything else from school...are bread rolls considered white bread? they are white in the middle
    Yes
    "Courage isn't an absense of fear but a means of dealing with it."-Nelson Mandela

"I don't call myself a living legend cause its a catchy phrase or cause it looks good on a T shirt, no, I say it cause its the truth, and I deserve it."- "Lion Heart" Chris Jericho

RIP Eddie Guerrero, a true champion

RIP George Carlin, my idol

skibbi9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skibbi9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skibbi9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skibbi9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skibbi9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skibbi9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skibbi9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skibbi9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skibbi9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skibbi9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) skibbi9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    beating a dead horse, but milk is great for cutting or bulking (skim moreso for cutting)

My list of "To avoids" :

1) Alcohol
    2) Soda
    3) Fast Food
    4) Candy/Ice Cream
    5) Unnecessary Simple Carbs (save for a few PWO and occasionally, white bread and pasta have nothing going for them)
    8/15/06 - 256 LBS 32ish%
    3/20/07 - 233 LBS 21ish%
    Still cutting.
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=958913

Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000) Scar is a name known to all. (+5000)
    For me it's grains. My body is extremely poor at handling them. So I try to get as much of my carbs from fruit and veggies.

For me,like the other dude says,flour is a pure physique killer.

Now this works for me,for other dudes they would prefer to have less fruit and more of a lower GI grain.

The foods I think serve no purpose,or can be substituted with better,more nutrient dense ones would have to be:

Any refined carbohydrate.

All animal fats

Junk - ****ty carbs and ****ty fat. Probably the single most ruinous thing for a physique is the impact of high GI carbs and fats combined..imo.

I think you can make a case for the other contentious foods but I don't see the benefit of these foods in the diet - it's not like you can't get a much needed insulin spike from a healthier source.

I don't buy this 'it's good for bulking' stuff either you hear when carbs go on the list. The art of bulking is not getting so insanely fat that you spend forever getting it off and lose more muscle than necessary doing it.

Again,I don't like projecting what I have learnt about my own body onto everyone else..but I think we go overboard with the carbs - even though they are needed. We keep hearing from the mainstream about the dangers of fats but I still believe that the key to a great physique is through careful selection of quality carbs.
    Last edited by Scar; 01-03-2007 at 05:03 PM.