2_much_chicken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much protein do i need?

Hi, I'm weight training 4-5 times a week, i'm 6ft6 and 210 pounds / 15 stone.
    I've been doing this intensity for about 4 months now and I dont think I'm gaining as much ground as I could be.
    So I'm looking into getting my diet right ! Starting with my protein intake!

I have some Reflex Instant Whey, it tells me 2 scoops = 25gms

According to another website I need 1g of protein per pound of body wiehgt a day. So I need 210g a day! So does that mean 8 drinks of whey a day?

reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50) reflexions will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well no. Your protein source should come from the majority of food rather than shakes.

You dont actually need 1g of protein a day. If you can work out what your lean body mass weight is, then that should be your guiedline.
    RIP Steve Irwin :(

nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50) nukLhed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1.5 to 2 grams per pound of lean body mass is recomended for bulking. That's total protein, not just whey. You should get as much protein as possible from natural sources... chicken, egss, beef, etc..
    ~ nukLhed ~

- People don't fail, they just stop trying.
    - Commitment, desire, and action have nothing to do with education.

NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 2_much_chicken
    I've been doing this intensity for about 4 months now and I dont think I'm gaining as much ground as I could be.

According to another website I need 1g of protein per pound of body wiehgt a day. So I need 210g a day! So does that mean 8 drinks of whey a day?
    No, you don't want to rely on a protein supplement for your entire daily intake...with your size in mind, I would say you need more like 300-350g of protein daily. However, the majority of this should come from food sources (meat/eggs). Only use the whey to make up the difference

Thanks for the fast replies guys. I have actually been eating 2 eggs about 4 days a week over the past month so I will look into how many eggs and how much chicken - i love my chicken! - and beef i should probably increase to. I'm all for keeping my shake intake down, i find I end up on the ****ter a hell of a lot even after 1 a day!
    Also I barely have any fat I'd say my percentage body fat is probably 10%, so lean body mass would be 189 pounds at a guess.

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by 2_much_chicken

Complete info and links:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...53&postcount=4
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...16&postcount=5
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...21&postcount=6
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000)
    How do you English people measure your body weight with stones? Just get a scale, it would be easier and more accurate.
    Nothing is, everything is becoming.

Registered User FUTURE_MLB_STAR's Avatar
    FUTURE_MLB_STAR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FUTURE_MLB_STAR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FUTURE_MLB_STAR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FUTURE_MLB_STAR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FUTURE_MLB_STAR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FUTURE_MLB_STAR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FUTURE_MLB_STAR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FUTURE_MLB_STAR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FUTURE_MLB_STAR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FUTURE_MLB_STAR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nukLhed
    1.5 to 2 grams per pound of lean body mass is recomended for bulking. That's total protein, not just whey. You should get as much protein as possible from natural sources... chicken, egss, beef, etc..
    heed the above advice. try as much as you can to get your protein from alternate sources of food. i only use protein directly after my workouts, and sometimes once after breakfast just because i feel its a good idea to get 50 grams of protein with breakfast.

BTW i would recommend a man of your size to lean more towards the 2 grams per pound idea.
    "All your life you are told the things you cannot do. All your life they will say you're not good enough or strong enough or talented enough; they will say you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or be this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. All your life they will tell you no, quite firmly and very quickly.
    AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

lol @ newequation

although its illegal to measure in stones now in England we will not be oppressed!

@ pu

thanks for the links, very informative, i've read most of it, and its too much to take in first time round but the seeds have been sown!

@ future

I will defo be heeding all advice and upping my protein /carb intake! I think I'll try a similar diet to Pu's. And I'll make sure I get on the rower and bike to keep the weight off.