Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Post Competition stomach bloating

Hi There,

I just competed in my first figure competition 4 weeks ago and since then I have been crazy bloated. I did not go crazy post-contest, just a little bit, but I have been back on my normal eating for weeks now. It is only in my stomach as my legs and arms are fine, and it is not affecting my ankles or fingers- probably not sodium. Basically, my entire body looks great with the exception of my stomach! It is puffy and sticks out no matter what I eat! By the end of the night, I look like I am in the early stages of pregnancy!

Is this something that happens after carb depleting & loading? I am eating clean still, with protein, carbs, etc. Also, I have a little soy milk every day- could that be hurting me?

I am desperate!! I worked so hard for a while to now have my stomach be a mess! It has been long enough, hasn't it??

Can anyone HELP???

Thx,
    Skyden

atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    this is common with many competitors. I for one dont seem to have such a rebound, fortunatly, my husband on the other hand does.
    Have you added any new foods?
    One thing I stress to competitors is not to over-do things post-comp, add old non-diet foods slowly back in.
    be sure to keep water intake up, this will help flush out the water you are retaining. monitor sodium levels too, dont go too low but be sure they are not too high.
    did you do a drastic carb/water/sodium depletion & load?

have you looked into digestive enzymes as well?

soy can cause sensitivity and digestive issues with, you could try cutting that out.
    Preppin for 2007 Nationals figure

*Designer Supplements sponsered athlete*

Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skyden will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks...

Thanks for the advice... I added in other foods somewhat slowly, I think. At least after the first 1 or 2 days.

I have been drinking a lot of water and I am watching sodium. I notice if I have too much that my hands swell, but that is not on a regular basis. If so, I take Teraxatone to balance it out.

I also have taken disgestive enzymes for a majority of the time, but recently ran out and have not gotten to GNC to get more yet- any good recommenations on a brand?

I am stopping the soy milk and I don't do dairy. I do drink protein shakes regularly as well as egg whites.

Hopefully it will regulate itself soon. Very tiresome and dissappointing to be bloated so much.

Thanks again!

oh, and...

my depleation was from 20 carbs a day to nothing for a day and a half- then 160 carbs for a day and a half.

Sodium was nothing for quite a while- at least a month or so.

Water depleation was 1/2 gallon, then 1/4 gallon, then nothing for two days.

Not sure how that rates with how severe that is for the industry, but it was intense for me.

atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10) atherjen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Skyden
    my depleation was from 20 carbs a day to nothing for a day and a half- then 160 carbs for a day and a half.

Sodium was nothing for quite a while- at least a month or so.

Water depleation was 1/2 gallon, then 1/4 gallon, then nothing for two days.

Not sure how that rates with how severe that is for the industry, but it was intense for me.
    whats your carb intake now?

1 month little sodium, and then adding it it, that can cause a lot of bloating, but rest assured once your body reaches homeostasis(think balance), and adjusts to more sodium it will go down. be sure to keep water up.
    your body is simply rehydrating itself from such low water and sodium levels.

Carbs

My carbs are around 120-130g/day. I don't eat them after 4pm snack. Brown rice, ww bread, sweet potato, every now and again, pasta, and if there are any in a protein bar- Pure Protein or Odyssey.

Should I be drinking distilled water still?

My carbs are around 120-130g/day. I don't eat them after 4pm snack. Brown rice, ww bread, sweet potato, every now and again, pasta, and if there are any in a protein bar- Pure Protein or Odyssey.

no, stick with spring water.

ww bread cause my stomach to bloat BAD... just a lil fyi. something you may want to try to cut out for a couple days to see if you get relief.

Thanks

Originally Posted by atherjen
    no, stick with spring water.

ww bread cause my stomach to bloat BAD... just a lil fyi. something you may want to try to cut out for a couple days to see if you get relief.
    I will cut it out for a couple days and check out the results. That is something I added in post-contest.

Thanks for your help! I will keep you updated!

lufer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lufer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lufer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lufer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lufer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lufer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lufer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lufer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lufer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lufer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lufer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what does distilled water do?

?

Originally Posted by lufer
    what does distilled water do?
    Not sure but I drak it for the last 2 months before competing

Hfit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

WW Bread & Protein Bars cause lots of gastric problems

FYI

Omit the protein bars and whole wheat - both can cause major gastric problems (bloating, gas, constipation or diarrhea, irritability etc).

Water 'type' doesn't matter as long as your drinking it. That's not going to cause bloating.

I've been competing for 9 years and still can't eat wheat or protein bars.

MChristenson83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is TOTALLY me right now. I competed April 27th and didn't go 'crazy'. Had a few meals, treats, ect the first few days. Went back to clean eating-- had breast augmentation surgery and now I am an absolute MESS. I have a big old gut and Im up 13lbs. I KNOW it's not all fat, but like you said-- I worked my BUTT off and ive NEVER been this weight before. I still fit in my jeans except for it's snug in my butt/thighs and stomach. Ive been reading its normal and when I get back to normal workouts and eating my body will readjust but It makes me want to cry!

aspring bodybuilder jesustorresato's Avatar
    jesustorresato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jesustorresato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jesustorresato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jesustorresato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jesustorresato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jesustorresato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jesustorresato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jesustorresato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jesustorresato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jesustorresato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jesustorresato has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    that sounds very strange, i havent done a show yet, but i do know that protein bloates you up a lot!

DeziTC1206 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Follow Up?

Originally Posted by MChristenson83 View Post
    This is TOTALLY me right now. I competed April 27th and didn't go 'crazy'. Had a few meals, treats, ect the first few days. Went back to clean eating-- had breast augmentation surgery and now I am an absolute MESS. I have a big old gut and Im up 13lbs. I KNOW it's not all fat, but like you said-- I worked my BUTT off and ive NEVER been this weight before. I still fit in my jeans except for it's snug in my butt/thighs and stomach. Ive been reading its normal and when I get back to normal workouts and eating my body will readjust but It makes me want to cry!
    Hey there! I did a Google search on this same issue for I too just did my first Figure comp 3 weeks ago and I am DYING! Up 11 pounds and it is all in my stomach only too... I did have a cheat the night of my comp and went out the day after but was right back on track since then, with an occasional refeed but I have tracked everything and been within my allowance and no matter what I do, by the end of the day I look like I am 7 months preggo! I did try to introduce some dairy in my diet after comp (Greek yogurt, low fat cheese and some cottage cheese) and it just made me very sick and twice as bloated, so that has been cut out completely again (dang it, I REALLY missed frozen yogurt). I was just curious how long it took you to finally start feeling better?