chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help, I don't think I am doing this right

Ok, so I've only been working out for a month now, and eating better for 3 weeks, but I think I am doing something wrong. At the size I am now, I should be losing weight/fat, but I'm not budging yet. I really don't think it is that I am not eating enough, so maybe it is what I am eating?
    I am 5'4 and 194 lbs (I've lost 60 lbs already in the past year, but now I want to lose fat and gain muscle) I haven't gotten my bf tested, but I am guessing it to be between 27-30% which is a hell of a lot more then I want. My goal is just to get down to 10%, and then see where I want to maintain at. If I were to say a weight it would be 125, but I don't exactly care what I weigh as long as I have my muscle and low fat.
    Anyways, I've also been taking measurements of my body as well, and nothing has changed (but do I really expect that already, no). But I do expect to have dropped some weight seeing as where I am starting at.

I am exercising 6 days a week now (up from 3-4). I lift 3 days and do cardio 3 days, but I would like to switch it up to lifting 4 days and cardio 3 if that would still get me where I want to be (I really despise cardio but it has to be done).

All of this leads me to believe I am eating the wrong crap, an estimate of daily calories would be around 1500-1600. An average day would look like this (actually this is what I had yesterday)

Breakfast: 4 egg whites, 1 whole, 1 98% ff tortilla
    Snack: 1 myoplex lite shake with 12 oz water
    Lunch: Grilled chicken breast with salsa and same kind of tortilla
    Dinner: 1 sweet potato with pumpkin pie spice and splenda brown sugar, and 1 can of light water packed tuna with salsa.

I normally don't eat that many tortilla's, actually, I rarely eat them but it was the only carb I could find.

Can someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? I know I'm not getting any vegetables, one because I am an extremely picky eater, and two because I haven't planned out my meals for the week and therefor end up throwing a chicken breast on the hamilton beach grill and calling it a meal with a carb.

I want any and all help or criticism. Thanks!

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would say that you need way more fruits and veggies. There's a lot of sodium in your diet, which will make you retain water. Myoplex shakes have a lot of sodium. If you like the shakes, I would use a plain protein powder like casein or whey and add some frozen fruit to it for your carb. The tortillas are ok. I use them sometimes myself, but they also have a lot of sodium. Try oats or whole grain bread instead. Tuna (unless it is low sodium): also very high sodium. Chicken is great, as is ground lean turkey, cottage cheese, etc. You're on the right track. Congrats on the weight loss! I would just suggest more water, fruits, veggies, and good fats!

muslgrl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi,

Badass in Training *supermomma*'s Avatar
    *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by twinnett
    I would say that you need way more fruits and veggies. There's a lot of sodium in your diet, which will make you retain water. Myoplex shakes have a lot of sodium. If you like the shakes, I would use a plain protein powder like casein or whey and add some frozen fruit to it for your carb. The tortillas are ok. I use them sometimes myself, but they also have a lot of sodium. Try oats or whole grain bread instead. Tuna (unless it is low sodium): also very high sodium. Chicken is great, as is ground lean turkey, cottage cheese, etc. You're on the right track. Congrats on the weight loss! I would just suggest more water, fruits, veggies, and good fats!
    Sodium won't make you retain water--sudden changes in sodium intake will. Sodium can be high, as long as it is consistent, with no negative effects.

chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chixyb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks. I also forgot to mention that I drink at least 10 cups of water a day, if that helps any. The shakes are the easiest way to get my protein while at work (I work full time in an office). I just don't know if I am getting to many or to less calories. Oh well I guess it is pretty much trial and error. I think I'm going to try a new training split this week (not so many days) and map out my meal plans as well.

Thanks again.

Registered User OldEnuf2BYoMama's Avatar
    OldEnuf2BYoMama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldEnuf2BYoMama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldEnuf2BYoMama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldEnuf2BYoMama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldEnuf2BYoMama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldEnuf2BYoMama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldEnuf2BYoMama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldEnuf2BYoMama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldEnuf2BYoMama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi chix....just remember, you didn't put on your extra weight in 3 weeks, so you shouldn't expect it to start melting away in 3 weeks either....much harder to get OFF than put ON. I'm not crazy about your diet, I would do a search on this board and find something more balanced.....Keep at it though...if you want it badly enough, you'll get there! Good luck!

Badass in Training *supermomma*'s Avatar
    *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50) *supermomma* will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by chixyb
    Thanks. I also forgot to mention that I drink at least 10 cups of water a day, if that helps any. The shakes are the easiest way to get my protein while at work (I work full time in an office). I just don't know if I am getting to many or to less calories. Oh well I guess it is pretty much trial and error. I think I'm going to try a new training split this week (not so many days) and map out my meal plans as well.

Thanks again.
    10 cups isn't enough. It's a lot better than what the majority of people get in, but still not enough. The eight 8-ounce glass rec is barely enough for a completely sedentary person to get by on.

I would definitely start increasing water intake--it will help.

You need to figure out exactly how many calories you are taking in each day, and figure out if it is enough or too much. I would shoot for about 12x your body weight in cals per day for fat loss. You should try to get 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, and .4 grams of healthy fats per pound. Then add in complex carbs and veggies. If you don't start losing after a couple of weeks eating like this (you need to give it at least this long to see if you get any results), then you can decrease cals by 10% and see what happens.

Also, if you've only been training for 4 weeks and eating kind of right for 3, you haven't given your current program long enough to work--especially if your diet isn't really in check. I would clean up your diet, keep track of cals, and stick with your current split for 4 weeks and see if it works--if not, then you can change it. Changing things too frequently makes it very difficult to gauge progress.

Good luck!
    Friends don't let friends use pink dumbbells.

admin @ realbodiestraining.com

Thank you very much. I think I need to start finding some recipes and making my meals plans for the week so I'm not stuck wondering what I am going to eat. I think I'm also only going to weigh myself officially once a month, and I'll get my bf tested along with measurements (but I'm not sure how often that should be done). Wow 12x my weight right now, or my goal? That seems really high (but then again until now I thought 1200 was perfect, obviously not). I guess I just have to start trying things, I won't find out until I actually do it, right?

Thank you again everyone! I just turned 20 a couple days ago and I am ready to finally take care of myself!

pltwife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pltwife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pltwife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm pretty new to all of this, so I'll let the pros give you the advice. But, I wanted to congratulate you on making the choice to become healthier. You are already on the right track with better eating and adding in exercise. You will see results even if you haven't already. Don't give up!

Thanks, sometimes it is difficult, especially with my past.

I have definately noticed though that I don't feel like I am on a restricted eating plan, this feels normal to me and thats awesome (plus I'm not starving all the time).

Today I had 14 cups of water, so I know it is possible, just a bit harder then my normal 10-12. All I can say is crystal light saves me. I don't know much about it but that is the only way I can get my water in because I am sensitive to the taste of tap water.

Well I've finished my workout and now I am ready to go to sleep. Have a great day!

barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Breakfast: 4 egg whites, 1 whole, 1 98% ff tortilla
    Lunch: Grilled chicken breast with salsa and same kind of tortilla
    Dinner: 1 sweet potato with pumpkin pie spice and splenda brown sugar, and 1 can of light water packed tuna with salsa.
    Lets discuss the diet - Breakfast - good add some fruit mabe
    snack - why not some fruit and cott cheese and PP or make some PP pancakes and bring them to work - put Blueberries in them while you are cooking them - something that is a whole food - this makes your body work to digest it, but if shakes are all that you can manage better than nothing
    lunch - Chicken Great - nix the tortilla - add veggie and this is a great place for the swt pot.
    Snack - again fine for shake but really whole food is much better - see above
    Dineer - NO sweet potatoe - make this veggies - broc, aspa something - and rather than the can of tuna for dinner maybe a chicken again or if tuna easier at work then swap that around - but can of tuna is fine for dinner
    Snack - not mentioned again but you really should have one - slow digesting protein - like cott cheese.

barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The pancake recipe I use and love

1.5 Cup egg white (I buy the liquid egg whites) this is equal to 8 eggs
    1 Cup Oats
    1 Cup Cott Cheese
    1tsp Baking Powder
    Equal or Splenda to suit your taste
    1/2tsp Butter extract & 1/2 tsp Maple Extract (optional you can really use any extract to spice this up)
    2 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (option but I need the extra protein)
    1/8 Cup Approx Davincci Sugar Free Coffee Syrup (again optional but very good in it)

Blend all of this in blender until no lump in cott cheese and oats have been processed - this will also make your egg whites fluffier so it makes more.

Take 1/4 cup measure spoon and use for your batter measure - put on griddle and cook as you normally would a pancake - you can add blueberries at this point also.

This yields about 16 pancakes
    I take two and put in plastic baggies for my servings

Wow that helped a ton! Just this morning I was thinking about how I could get rid of the protein shakes and use food. I just can't seem to get enough protein in each day, I am lucky to even get 120 g. Why do you suggest to not have a carb at dinner? Or do you mean no sweet potato? This week I've started adding more veggies also, I knew I was missing those . What kinds of fruits would be good? I love bananas but I don't know if those would be a good one, maybe something lighter? Oh, and what other slow digesting proteins are there (I can't stomach cc)?

I copied that recipe and I will definately try it, maybe I can use some pumpkin too? I love pumpkin. I made a mock up menu, how does this look now?

B: 5 egg whites, 1 whole, ff tortilla, salsa, 1 small-med banana.
    S: 2 Protein pancakes
    L: Chicken breast, 1 cup veggies, sweet potato or brown rice.
    S: Protein muffins (still searching for good recipes with tons of protein)
    D: Maybe a lean steak with 1 C veggies and brown rice (or no carb?)
    S: Slow digesting protein...

I also love peanut butter, is there somewhere this can be used? (I use all natural). I also like oatmeal, I used to just have that as a snack with a packet of sweet n low, but obviously no protein, I tried chocolate protein powder but that didn't taste to good, hehe. Thank you soooo much for helping point out what needs changing, I'm going to see what kind of muffin recipe I can find with a butt load of protein.

Meagan

For me and IMO - I like no carb at dinner because you do not need energy to sleep - you do need food in your systems so your body can work to digest it - but you don't need the energy from carbs.

Good fruits- blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, apples, pear etc.
    Can't stomach cottage cheese cause it upsets your stomach or you can't eat it cause of the texture and taste?

If it is due to texture and taste - put in a blender and add 1/2 scoop PP, sweetner and maybe some Coffee Syrup - it is sooooo good and does not taste like Cott Cheese.

nat peanut butter is good - I can not eat it so I really have not put much thought in to where the best placement should be.

Maybe protein pancakes - snack two - and apple with nat peanut butter - 1st snack - I would go 2 cups of veggies and maybe a spin salad or something and dump the night time carb.

Yeah I don't like cc because of the texture and taste, but I will definately try it the way you said, anything to get rid of the taste. Ok so I need to buy more veggies and fruit this paycheck, I am running low on food and resorting to weird combinations this week (for instance lunch today was tuna, salsa, and frozen veggies mixed together, I didn't have any carbs in the house besides a tortilla and ww bread, but I had a tortilla for breakfast with my eggs). Yesterday I finally got my full gallon of water in, it wasn't as hard as I thought thanks to crystal light, but I still have to think about it. I need to buy some vitamins also, mine went bad (I think they got wet, whoops). My sweet potatos went bad also (there went my favorite carb). Do you think the splenda brown sugar is fine on the sweet potato? I only use a bit, and that is pretty much one of the only times I take in any sugar (a normal day is usually under 10g). I have sugar free fat free syrup too for every now and then (usually my cheat days). I definately need to look into the davinci syrups, I'll try and find them. Oh and I need a good whey protein. Do they make one without flavor for certain foods where you don't want it?

I know this is a stupid question, but how much is a scoop of pp? Mine are already individual packets, and I have another brand in a jar/tub but I don't know how many grams are in that scooper, I think it came seperate.

Thanks again! I created a journal too so I can track what I am doing (besides nutridiary, and get input, and I can read others too).

golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000) golfGirl is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Chixyb,

Have you tried using fitday.com yet? It's a great way to track your calories and C/P/F ratios until you get a better feel for things. And best of all, it's free!

Good luck to you!!
    ~*~ If you stumble just make it part of the dance ~*~

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2247371&page=45

Originally Posted by golfGirl
    Chixyb,

Have you tried using fitday.com yet? It's a great way to track your calories and C/P/F ratios until you get a better feel for things. And best of all, it's free!

Good luck to you!!
    Thanks, yeah I go between fitday and nutridiary, I think I am on a nutridiary kick right now though, lol. How long am I going to feel so out of it when it comes to this ratio thing?

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nutridiary is much more accurate. Fitday underestimates the carb ratio (it doesn't count the fiber calories I think), so if you're watching the ratios, fitday will be wrong.

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by barnetjs
    For me and IMO - I like no carb at dinner because you do not need energy to sleep - you do need food in your systems so your body can work to digest it - but you don't need the energy from carbs.
    You don't need LOTS of carbs, but your body DOES burn calories at night (it doesn't shut off while you sleep!), and so you can use SOME carbs at night if you eat them.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

www.********.com/hotnfitcom

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Splenda brown sugar on the sweet potato would be 'ok', but limit your overall splenda intake.. too much of anything is NOT good for you, even if it is calorie free.

You might want to check out my website http://terracotta2.googlepages.com
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

Originally Posted by terracotta
    You don't need LOTS of carbs, but your body DOES burn calories at night (it doesn't shut off while you sleep!), and so you can use SOME carbs at night if you eat them.
    I was not suggesting that you body shut off while it is sleeping - I did say that she needed to eat something - she just did not need the energy from a sweet pot (carbs) at dinner time- which is what she has been eating at dinner. Yes our bodies burn calories all night which is why I suggested that she eat cott cheese or something at night after the dinner meal. She will still be getting carbs if she eats veggies.
    Last edited by barnetjs; 07-13-2006 at 06:58 AM.

Originally Posted by barnetjs
    I was not suggesting that you body shut off while it is sleeping - I did say that she needed to eat something - she just did not need the energy from a sweet pot (carbs) at dinner time- which is what she has been eating at dinner. She will still be getting carbs if she eats veggies.
    gotcha.. I usually just decide based on whether I need more carbs though lol.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

thank you everyone, I'm writing up my grocery list right now. If I have a sweet potato for lunch I'll use 1/2 of one (they are huge here), but I'll try and mix it up. I'll replace my tortilla or bread in the morning with oatmeal (love that stuff).

I don't use a lot of splenda or sweetener, only on sweet potatos and in oatmeal if needed (trying to get myself used to the plain taste). And now that I know I like cottage cheese with jam, I can try it with fruits for after my workout which is before bed. And I'll look into getting a shake for right after the workout with whey. But with the shake it would put me at 7 meals a day, maybe there is a way to combine the cc and the afterworkout meal? I really do greatly appreciate how much everyone is helping, with each bit of new information I try and re-arrange my diet.

And I will definately look at your website Terra!

I use 2-3 tbsp applesauce in my oats
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

I put Protein powder in my cott cheese - then into the blender.