nate19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

BMR, Daily Work and Calories Burned

According to Fit Day after adding up my BMR, Daily work and Lifestyle Caloric Burning values I'm at about 4000 calories expended. Now I'm only taking in about 2000-2500 cal/day. So I'm not sure if im eating enough. Just for a little background info. Im 72" and 200lbs w/ 18-20% BF. I've just started working out, so I'll add maybe about 300 cal to my daily burn the days I do cardio. The thing is, I don't feel tired but again, I'm going on a gut feeling that either Fit day is giving me wrong info or I shouldnt be burning almost twice my Intake Cals. Although the work I do isn't light, I work 10 hours a day in a yacht assembly building doing electrical work. It's quite hot in there (Florida, 90+) and I'm all day on my feet going up and down stairs. A little nudge in the right direction please?

Ttt

JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I was kinda wondering the same thing. Fitday usually gives me values around 4,000 as well. I think that is somewhat overestimated though. I'm currently cutting and I'm taking in 1,200 below what fitday tells me I burned, with good results. I have also found that I bulk quite well eating maintenance calories.

Of course, maybe I just have a efficient (sluggish) metabolism. Fitday is IMO the best, easiest and most convenient way to track nutrition, but the calorie counts are averages and not completely accurate.

If you're really curious I suggest getting a heart rate monitor. They're about $30 and it's basically a watch and a sensor strap that goes around your midsection. It's designed to be used during exercise and will tell you the calories burned, but if you wore it over a 24hr period, I think it would give you the best estimation of calories burned. Of course, max heart rates (and thus max heart rate percentages) are simply averages and not 100% accurate.

But I'd say just keep with fitday but see how your body responds. Maybe you will have to eat consistantly above or below your fitday calories for your goals. Just do whatever works for you.

I think the "Life Style" Values is whats throwing me off. That alone reads at around 2k Calories. My main goal is to tone muscle while losing fat, preferably gaining muscle if possible. I'm going to post pics for a estimation of my bf%. Maybe I don't even need cardio, as I read somewhere that for the first little while I'll be burning a decent amount of calories just doing my daily workout.

What % BF do you think I'm at? And is cardio after my regular workout really necessary?

JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JimBad05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'm 217 and more muscular, but a tad fatter too. My calipers tell me I'm 13.6%, but a trainer at the gym told me 16% once (He told me 13% in Feb, then I cut for awhile, went back in April and he told me 16%.. never went back to him again). Anyway, assuming my 13.6% is correct, I'd guess about 12% for you.

As far as cardio goes, just see what works and what doesn't. Just lift without cardio and after one week, if you like the results, keep doing the same. If not, change it up. Everybody's metabolism is a bit different so theres no one right or wrong answer to your question.