Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    anonymous

tuna4lyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuna4lyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuna4lyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuna4lyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuna4lyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuna4lyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuna4lyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuna4lyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuna4lyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuna4lyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50) tuna4lyfe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    (have not read the whole thread)

They did this on an episode of mythbusters, conclusion:

starting % per door: 33,33,33

u pick one.

whats left is: 66,33

cant explain this with any more detail since I saw that episode like a year back... think its called something with gameshow.

people saying its 50/50 when there is two doors left are wrong. that was my first conclusion also, but in this episode of mythbusters they made it very clear why that is not the case.

Edit: found YT video, also did not notice that the thread is from 2006=))

04:20 and forward
    Last edited by tuna4lyfe; 04-12-2012 at 08:33 PM.

dtbrehm is a name known to all. (+5000) dtbrehm is a name known to all. (+5000) dtbrehm is a name known to all. (+5000) dtbrehm is a name known to all. (+5000) dtbrehm is a name known to all. (+5000) dtbrehm is a name known to all. (+5000) dtbrehm is a name known to all. (+5000) dtbrehm is a name known to all. (+5000) dtbrehm is a name known to all. (+5000) dtbrehm is a name known to all. (+5000) dtbrehm is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wait, why is this thread so big?

Edit: nevermind it's from 2006..
    Minnesota Vikings - Dallas Mavericks - Washington Wizards - Bayern Munich

matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) matt01621 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BigDumbHells View Post
    Try this one out, and be sure to explain your answer because that is the only way it matters:

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors. Behind one door is a car, behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say number 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say number 3, which has a goat. He says to you, "Do you want to pick door number 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice of doors? Why or why not?

They say only 5% of the population will come to the correct reasoning of this problem. Can you?
    You switch doors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

/thread
    Reps on Site: Gangsta Familia

MacIsaac will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacIsaac will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacIsaac will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacIsaac will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacIsaac will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacIsaac will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacIsaac will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacIsaac will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacIsaac will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacIsaac will become famous soon enough. (+50) MacIsaac will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Keep your choice and use the goat to sell goats milk win win
    ***Canadian Crew***

The human body is not a thing or substance, given, but a continuous creation. The human body is an energy system which is never a complete structure; never static; is in perpetual inner self-construction and self-destruction; we destroy in order to make it new.
    - Norman O. Brown

zzzboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zzzboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zzzboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zzzboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zzzboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zzzboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zzzboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zzzboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zzzboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zzzboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zzzboy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OFFICIAL EXPLANATION THAT ANYONE CAN UNDERSTAND.

if i have a pile of 100 cards and only ONE ace in that pile, and i draw a random card, i now have two piles: one card pile, and 99 card pile.

so, the probability the ace is in the 99 card pile is 99%. NOW, if i ONLY TAKE AWAY 98 WRONG CARDS (ie NOT ACE) from the 99 pile until i have two piles of 1, THEN THE PROBABILITY THAT THE CARD IS IN THE ORIGINAL 99 PILE (now 1 card) IS STILL 99% SINCE I ONLY REMOVED WRONG CARDS. THUS, 99% CHANCE OF ME WINNING BY SWITCHING.

that is the crux of the problem. the host will NEVER reveal a car just like you won't remove an ace from the 99 pile. thus, there is 2/3 chance that the car is in the other 2 doors you didn't pick. host reveals a wrong option from those 2 doors...STILL 2/3 ON THE OTHER DOOR SINCE IT WAS LUMPED WITH THE OTHER DOOR AND ONLY WRONG OPTION REVEALED.

if the host or you COULD remove a RIGHT option (car or card), then of course there is no advantage to switching.

frgz88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frgz88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frgz88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frgz88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frgz88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frgz88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frgz88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frgz88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frgz88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frgz88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) frgz88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    loling at replies saying "simple math problem", then reasoning that once a goat is revealed, you have a 50% chance to win by switching.

former 6'2 130lber MaximusPlatypus's Avatar
    MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000) MaximusPlatypus is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mr. Bowflex View Post
    switch

at first you have 1 in 3 chance (33%) of getting it

after switching you now have 1 in 2 chance (50%) of getting it
    if you do not, you are still with original 33% chance
    And a 13% chance of balls touching lulz. Strong math

Nah, that ain't me FawkinJuicyBrah's Avatar
    FawkinJuicyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) FawkinJuicyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) FawkinJuicyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) FawkinJuicyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) FawkinJuicyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) FawkinJuicyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) FawkinJuicyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) FawkinJuicyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) FawkinJuicyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) FawkinJuicyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) FawkinJuicyBrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wut if u want the goat?
    Papa don't take no mess.

S&P Crew

*Lone Star Crew*

swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Everysingle one of you in this thread apart from about two people are fuking morons.

You do realize the whole reason everyone thinks its better to switch is because of some dumb bitch called Vos Savant, and we all know bitches cant do math.

Their is absolutely no scientific foundation to this whatsoever so fuk this illogical answer, fuk everyone in this thread, and fuk that bitch Vos Savant.

You are all wrong

Lupes Return is just really nice. (+1000) Lupes Return is just really nice. (+1000) Lupes Return is just really nice. (+1000) Lupes Return is just really nice. (+1000) Lupes Return is just really nice. (+1000) Lupes Return is just really nice. (+1000) Lupes Return is just really nice. (+1000) Lupes Return is just really nice. (+1000) Lupes Return is just really nice. (+1000) Lupes Return is just really nice. (+1000) Lupes Return is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by swoleclitorous View Post
    Everysingle one of you in this thread apart from about two people are fuking morons.

You do realize the whole reason everyone thinks its better to switch is because of some dumb bitch called Vos Savant, and we all know bitches cant do math.

Their is absolutely no scientific foundation to this whatsoever so fuk this illogical answer, fuk everyone in this thread, and fuk that bitch Vos Savant.

You are all wrong

think if there were 1000 doors originally, one with a car and the rest goats. You pick, and then the host eliminated 998 wrong doors and asks if you would like to switch. OF COURSE YOU SHOULD! THE CHANCE YOU PICKED RIGHT THE FIRST TIME IS 1/1000!
    We're all gonna make it brahs

swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) swoleclitorous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Lupes Return View Post
    think if there were 1000 doors originally, one with a car and the rest goats. You pick, and then the host eliminated 998 wrong doors and asks if you would like to switch. OF COURSE YOU SHOULD! THE CHANCE YOU PICKED RIGHT THE FIRST TIME IS 1/1000!
    NO

It dosent matter when the goat has been revealed, revealing the goat simply lets the player know that he has a 1/2 chance.

The goat was in the box and is still in the box, the reveal does not change anything WHATSOEVER regarding probobilitys.

Think about it, just because the player knows there is a goat in the box, does that change the statistics if nothing has actually physically changed about the situation?

The goat was in the box and is still in the box, the players knowledge of this does not play any role whatsoever.

Attention K-Mart shoppers Archangel_Lost's Avatar
    Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Archangel_Lost has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I was actually reading about this today. I heard it explained very plainly with much more sense than the problem itself presents, but I still don't understand where that logic comes from. The easiest explanation I heard was "all the other problems except the right one and the one you picked were eliminated", which still doesn't take into account if the one you picked is right.. I mean, luck doesn't really factor into statistics. All I can think of is that if I picked the right one, then choosing one other random one would just be that... random..
    Lifts:
    Squat: 460x1
    Bench: 400x1
    Deadlift: 575x1
    OHP: 250x2
    Weight: 180 lbs.

Don't have heroes; look up to no one. Because as long as someone's leading the way, the best you'll ever be is second.

Originally Posted by Archangel_Lost View Post
    I was actually reading about this today. I heard it explained very plainly with much more sense than the problem itself presents, but I still don't understand where that logic comes from. The easiest explanation I heard was "all the other problems except the right one and the one you picked were eliminated", which still doesn't take into account if the one you picked is right.. I mean, luck doesn't really factor into statistics. All I can think of is that if I picked the right one, then choosing one other random one would just be that... random..
    Well i didnt quite understand what you just wrote, but the whole logic to the switch is flawed.

People seem to think that its a 1 in 3 chance if he stays put because he originally picked box 1 out of 3 options.
    The host knows box 3 is a goat and there is an actual goat in box 3, it dosent matter whether the player knows that or not. When he picked box number 1 under the impression he had 3 options he still has a 1/2 chance, since box 3 is still a goat even though it hasent been revealed.

He has a 50/50 chance either way

Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Deezenutz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why are people still posting ITT? Does no one remember this being in the movie 21? Jesus Christ.
    There and back again twice, a deep red's tale.

BigBlobby will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBlobby will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBlobby will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBlobby will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBlobby will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBlobby will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBlobby will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBlobby will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBlobby will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBlobby will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigBlobby will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NuggzTheNinja View Post
    You have a 66% chance of winning if you switch doors, 33% if you stay.
    66+33=99....

are you serious?

AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well i didnt quite understand what you just wrote, but the whole logic to the switch is flawed.

People seem to think that its a 1 in 3 chance if he stays put because he originally picked box 1 out of 3 options.
    The host knows box 3 is a goat and there is an actual goat in box 3, it dosent matter whether the player knows that or not. When he picked box number 1 under the impression he had 3 options he still has a 1/2 chance, since box 3 is still a goat even though it hasent been revealed.

He has a 50/50 chance either way
    3 Doors ( 2 goats, 1 car)
    Assume the placement of goats and car is random (i.e there is no way to to know where the goats/car are likely to be placed)

Question 1) What is the probability you pick the goat on your first pick?
    Answer 1) The probability is 2/3 (duh???)

Now the host removes a door(goat) for you. So all that remains is a car and a goat.

Mini-Question: Do you have a goat, or a car?
    Answer Mini-Question: You don't know for sure, but what you do know is the odds you have a goat is 2/3.

Question 2) Given that you originally picked a goat, what is the probability that switching will get you a car?
    Answer 2) 100%

Note: 2/3 * 100% = 2/3

Question 3) Given that you originally picked a car, what is the probability that switching will get you a car?
    Answer 3) 0%

Note: 1/3 * 0% = 0

Therefore, the probability of getting a car by switching is 2/3

Simulate this via a computer program if you don't believe us. 2/3 of the time, those that switch will win the car.

fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    EDIT: I derped
    Last edited by fishpat86; 04-14-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    New Evolution shat on me

-!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #7 -!!!---!!!-

"Were not talking about bodybuilding you fking retard. We're talking about Gorillas"

rusrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrs will become famous soon enough. (+50) rusrs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try this one out, and be sure to explain your answer because that is the only way it matters:

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors. Behind one door is a car, behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say number 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say number 3, which has a goat. He says to you, "Do you want to pick door number 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice of doors? Why or why not?

They say only 5% of the population will come to the correct reasoning of this problem. Can you?
    Wasn't this in the movie 21 or some ****?

lynch0617 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynch0617 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynch0617 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynch0617 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynch0617 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynch0617 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynch0617 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynch0617 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynch0617 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynch0617 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lynch0617 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP has been watching 21 I see. Also, stick with 1

fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fishpat86 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by zzzboy View Post
    OFFICIAL EXPLANATION THAT ANYONE CAN UNDERSTAND.

if i have a pile of 100 cards and only ONE ace in that pile, and i draw a random card, i now have two piles: one card pile, and 99 card pile.

so, the probability the ace is in the 99 card pile is 99%. NOW, if i ONLY TAKE AWAY 98 WRONG CARDS (ie NOT ACE) from the 99 pile until i have two piles of 1, THEN THE PROBABILITY THAT THE CARD IS IN THE ORIGINAL 99 PILE (now 1 card) IS STILL 99% SINCE I ONLY REMOVED WRONG CARDS. THUS, 99% CHANCE OF ME WINNING BY SWITCHING.

that is the crux of the problem. the host will NEVER reveal a car just like you won't remove an ace from the 99 pile. thus, there is 2/3 chance that the car is in the other 2 doors you didn't pick. host reveals a wrong option from those 2 doors...STILL 2/3 ON THE OTHER DOOR SINCE IT WAS LUMPED WITH THE OTHER DOOR AND ONLY WRONG OPTION REVEALED.

if the host or you COULD remove a RIGHT option (car or card), then of course there is no advantage to switching.
    Makes perfect sense.
    New Evolution shat on me

-!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #7 -!!!---!!!-

"Were not talking about bodybuilding you fking retard. We're talking about Gorillas"

Originally Posted by AJ010 View Post
    Assume the placement of goats and car is random (i.e there is no way to to know where the goats/car are likely to be placed)

Question 1) What is the probability you pick the goat?
    Answer 1) The probability is 2/3

Question 2) Given that you originally picked a goat, what is the probability that switching will get you a car?
    Answer 2) 100%

Question 3) Given that you originally picked a car, what is the probability that switching will get you a car?
    Answer 3) 0%

Simulate this via a computer program if you don't believe us. 2/3 of the time, those that switch will win the car.
    Yes the placement is entirely random, but given our situation where the host reveals that box 3 is a goat, and our player picked box 1 it is 50/50.
    When our player picked box 1 the goat is still in box 3, do you think that just because the player cant see the goat it makes it 1/3?? No the goat didnt just magically apear when the host revealed box 3. The goat has been there all along, so given that the player picks either box 1 or box 2 from the start he has a 50/50 percent chance regardless.

NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Odds aside, it's this in which I'll make my decision...

the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door...
    The host already knows, and it most likely attempting to lure the contestant into switching. Similar happened in the film 'Slumdog Millionaire.'
    “Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out.” Anton Chekhov

"10% of life, is what happens to you--90% is how you respond to it."

"I know that I know nothing"--Socrates

AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yes the placement is entirely random, but given our situation where the host reveals that box 3 is a goat, and our player picked box 1 it is 50/50.
    When our player picked box 1 the goat is still in box 3, do you think that just because the player cant see the goat it makes it 1/3?? No the goat didnt just magically apear when the host revealed box 3. The goat has been there all along, so given that the player picks either box 1 or box 2 from the start he has a 50/50 percent chance regardless.
    It doesn't matter what box the player selects from the start. The end result is always the same: 1 goat,1 car, 2/3 chance the player picked a goat on the initial pick. Once you can understand that starting with 2 goats and 1 car affects the likelihood of even picking a goat(you are misunderstanding the consequences of this), then you will see how simple the solution I provided is.

East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) East1600plus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yes u switch... your chances or winning just went from 33% to 66% so u switch
    "it's alright man, you can laugh. I laughed when you walked in" - Jay Cutler
    ««•Power stance, BOOM•»»
    **Husker Football Nation**

fourhand461 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fourhand461 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fourhand461 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fourhand461 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fourhand461 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fourhand461 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fourhand461 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fourhand461 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fourhand461 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fourhand461 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fourhand461 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you stay... 1/3 chance.

If you switch... 1/2 chance.

Host just showed you by opening 1 goat door that there's now a 50/50 chance of winning if you switch. If you stay, it's like he never opened the door and chances are still 1 out of 3.
    "For me life is continuously being hungry. The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer."
    -Arnold

DBrickshaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DBrickshaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DBrickshaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DBrickshaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DBrickshaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DBrickshaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DBrickshaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DBrickshaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DBrickshaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DBrickshaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DBrickshaw is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You'd hear the goats, you're standing in front of Door #1, listen out for them..

dfree25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfree25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfree25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfree25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfree25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfree25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfree25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfree25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfree25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfree25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dfree25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SwoleOne View Post
    switch.. you have a higher probability of winning
    this is true.. i don't know reasoning behind it. AP stats brahs should know all about this

It doesn't matter what box the player selects from the start. The end result is always the same: 1 goat,1 car, 2/3 chance the player picked a goat on the initial pick. Once you can understand that starting with 2 goats and 1 car affects the likelihood of even picking a goat(you are misunderstanding the consequences of this), then you will see how simple the solution I provided is.
    NOO

For the host to have revealed a goat in the first place means that the player has picked between two boxes one of which is a car.

If he switches he is picking from two boxes one of which is a car.

dzr0001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dzr0001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dzr0001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dzr0001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dzr0001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dzr0001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dzr0001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dzr0001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dzr0001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dzr0001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dzr0001 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Question 1) What is the probability you pick the goat on your first pick?
    Answer 1) The probability is 2/3 (duh???)

Now the host removes a door(goat) for you. So all that remains is a car and a goat.

Mini-Question: Do you have a goat, or a car?
    Answer Mini-Question: You don't know for sure, but what you do know is the odds you have a goat is 2/3.

Answer 2) 100%

Answer 3) 0%

http://www.grand-illusions.com/simulator/montysim.htm
    ★ DIRTY SOUTH CREW ☆