vegeotto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

5x5 concerning abs and traps...dont want to butcher it up but...

Can i make some adjustments? Now before you all go crazy on me I understand that compound lifts are crucial. I dont expect someone benching and rowing 500lbs to have puny biceps and triceps. I really want physique and such. I'm relying on 5x5 to build my arms but my main concern with the program regards my abs/obliques and traps.

Ok, so has anyone gotten great abs using 5x5? I'm not thinking about doing 1000 crunches or anything but would it be ok to add hanging leg raises on monday and reverse crunches on wednesday to incorporate lower abs? And maybe side bends for obliques? I understand that doing core lifts will work out abs but i want bulging abs for when i cut. But then i figured that if my lifts go up so will my abs.

Can i incorporate powercleans and rows somehow? I read that that exchanging powerclean for rows is alright. Powercleans did wonders for my traps, but i feel that rows is better for my back. I want both, but i'm not sure which i should do, right now i'm more inclined in going with rows...what do you think? I dont think i should do both...not unless its advisable and i dont really want to do any isolations (b/c its kinda against the philosphy)

Also for rows do you guys use overhand or underhand grip? I'm doing it at about parallel to the floor and bringing it up to my abs...Thanks...

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ab work is fine. And yeah, you can do rows instead of power cleans. Most guys do around here, I would say. Do a Pendlay Row. Good stuff.

Though, your traps will not lack development if you add 100LBS to your deads. That's were the real trap development is, IMO. I can do my heaviest set of deadlifts, and NOTHING is sore in my entire body, except my damn traps.

Overhand grip on the Pendlay rows.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

anson7up has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anson7up has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anson7up has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anson7up has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    from what I know 5X5 does not focus on abs....
    I would do my abs twice a week on the days between my 5X5.
    since abs is one of the muscle group recover fastest, it's been good for me.
    result is not too impressive, but making improvment.
    And You probably know this already, abs is largely about diet and body fat.

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by anson7up
    Abs being visible is about diet and body fat, but that's not really even the reason you want to train them on the 5X5. 5X5 is primarily a strength program, and pushing numbers on primary compounds like deads and squats, you have to have a strong core, or risk injuring yourself.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by anson7up
    from what I know 5X5 does not focus on abs....
    I would do my abs twice a week on the days between my 5X5.
    since abs is one of the muscle group recover fastest, it's been good for me.
    result is not too impressive, but making improvment.
    Heavy staqnding compound exercises work your abs and lower back (core) also...

But there is nothing wrong in adding some additional core work, it can help you reach lifting heavier

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you read the routine from Madcow's site you will see that he not only says that core work is fine, he also gives an example of such in his routine.

yeah i'm just going to stick with rows and rely on deadlifts for trap development. But for Abs. When should i do them? Mon and Wed or Tue and Thur? I was thinkin weighted Monday and nonweighted Wed (but still 10 reps). If so which exercises should i do? I dont want to turn this into a 40 minute abworkout...unless thats optimal but i doubt that would be the case. I was thinking of definately sticking to low reps. For One day i was thinking of 4x10 Weighed Sit-ups, 4x10 Haninging Leg Raises and 3x20 weighed Side Bends. For the next workout i was thinking of 3x10 BW Situps, 3x10 Reverse Crunches, and 2x20 unweighed sidebends. I'm not sure if i should incorporate Calbe Crunches for weighed days and Bicycle crunches for nonweighted days...but i dont want to overtrain them...THANKS.

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Did you read Madcow's site? That should have been one of the first places you looked at for 5x5 info.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm

Look at the assistance exercises he recommends for each day.

It says i can do pullups/chinups on wednesday?

How many sets/reps?
    I was planning on doing full smooth controlled pullups but should i do weighted low reps or like 3x10 or something...

Would it be logical to add chinups on friday for biceps?
    The assistance on fridays are dips, curls, and tricep extenions...so chinups would kinda be like the equivalent to dips for triceps.

WSUcougs is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSUcougs is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSUcougs is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSUcougs is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSUcougs is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSUcougs is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSUcougs is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSUcougs is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSUcougs is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSUcougs is on a distinguished road. (+10) WSUcougs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by vegeotto
    It says i can do pullups/chinups on wednesday?

How many sets/reps?
    I was planning on doing full smooth controlled pullups but should i do weighted low reps or like 3x10 or something...

Would it be logical to add chinups on friday for biceps?
    The assistance on fridays are dips, curls, and tricep extenions...so chinups would kinda be like the equivalent to dips for triceps.
    I have been doing widegrip pullups on wednesday. Using the 5x5 rep scheme (I suck at them that's why I'm only doing 5 reps). It's been working pretty well, hasn't affected any of my other lifts.

Don't do them on friday. On Madcow's site he says to do them on wednesday.