reyalp is just really nice. (+1000) reyalp is just really nice. (+1000) reyalp is just really nice. (+1000) reyalp is just really nice. (+1000) reyalp is just really nice. (+1000) reyalp is just really nice. (+1000) reyalp is just really nice. (+1000) reyalp is just really nice. (+1000) reyalp is just really nice. (+1000) reyalp is just really nice. (+1000) reyalp is just really nice. (+1000)

Pulled groin during squats

I pulled a groin muscle on the right side of my body doing squats, and I've been trying to figure out exactly why this is an issue.

I should mention that I just started working out on May 1st, 2006, doing kethnaab's modified Rippetoe program.

I weigh 185lbs, bout 19%BF

My legs/leg synergists lifts lately:
    Deads: 185lbs (1x5)
    Hyperextensions: 80lbs (3x5)
    Squats: 125lbs (3x5)

I don't feel like I've maxed out on Deads yet (I've been working up from 115 in 5-10lb increments), or Squats for that matter.

Honestly, I feel like my right leg is significantly stronger than my left leg, and that it may have contributed to the groin pull during squats.
    Even when just flexing my leg muscles, I can see that my right leg is larger and more muscular than my left leg. I put a tape to it and the difference in size was almost an inch.
    When I hit up the ellipticals at the gym, it seems like my right leg does all the work. The same occurs, to a much lesser degree, when I jog.
    When I sprint, I don't feel a difference in output in my legs.
    Wear patterns on my shoes show me that my right toe is pointing away from me a bit when I walk.

I guess I have a few questions here:
    1. What would you recommend for recovery on the groin pull?
    2. What would you recommend to even out the strength of my legs?
    3. What would you recommend to strengthen my squat stabilizers?
    4. Any advice on correcting my gait? (Aside from visiting a PT)
    In WY for the summer. PM me if you are from around Wheatland!

GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Groin pulls can be a tricky recovery depending on the severity. I just got over one a couple of months ago (though it was a pretty bad one). I used lot's of ice and squatted with very low weight (95 lbs. or less) and a slightly more narrow stance to reduce groin involvement in the lift.

It's hard to say exactly what happened, but you could have descended too quickly with a ballistic motion and injured it that way, or gotten slightly off balance and pulled it while compensating for the shift in weight.

Working some lunges or one-legged squats could help with any imbalances, though they shouldn't really be causing any major issues unless you're using too much weight on the lifts.
    Last edited by GSP; 06-22-2006 at 06:25 AM.

Mbaboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mbaboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by reyalp
    Wear patterns on my shoes show me that my right toe is pointing away from me a bit when I walk.
    I think you are looking in to this way to much.
    But when I pulled my groin, I found the best thing to do was to massage it and rest it. You have to know the proper way to massage it, so look it up.
    And I think if you continue to squat, your legs will eventually even out. Make sure your toes are both pointed at the same degree out. Also, the farther out they point, more it will hit the inner leg, like the groin.