3u3u has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question substitute for squats

hi,

i am currently studying abroad for 6 weeks. i plan to compete in an amateur powerlifting competition in november, so it is training season.

although i have free access to the fitness center on campus, they have only a smith machine. as a substitute, today i did 6 sets of 6 one-legged squats increasing the weight with each set. regular two-legged squats in the smith messes with my knees. i am accustomed to performing squats in a power rack. do you have any suggestions for a replacement exercise for squats or even an alternate leg routine if you have several suggestions? suggestions for what i should do leading up to november are also welcome.

thank you!

AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just don't do step ups.

matt23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matt23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matt23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matt23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matt23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matt23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matt23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matt23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matt23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matt23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) matt23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Are you a wide stance squatter or a close stance?

I dont see how squatting in the smith machine hurts your knees, but perhaps you could still box squat? If you could that would be very good. Some of the best lifters from Westside Barbell rarely do full range squats til meet day and do nothing but box squating til then. If not good mornings and deadlifts are great for wide stance squatters.
    best meet lifts @ 132
    squat 375
    bench 300
    deadlift 440

Texas A&M Powerlifting.

vascularing defination Newbtime's Avatar
    Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

kickbacks

i'm a wide stance parallel-squatter. box squats are a good suggestion. i already do heavy deadlifts a couple days before my leg day.

i also forgot to mention they have no cable crossover cages/machines either, which is what i would have perform kickbacks on.

i am currently in the process of switching my routine, so any advice would be great!
    Last edited by 3u3u; 06-21-2006 at 12:24 PM.

Registered User randall_truscot's Avatar
    randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500) randall_truscot is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by 3u3u
    i also forgot to mention they have no cable crossover cages/machines either, which is what i would have perform kickbacks on.

r u serious?
    Kirk Karwoski Wanna Be

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    hi,

i am currently studying abroad for 6 weeks. i plan to compete in an amateur powerlifting competition in november, so it is training season.

although i have free access to the fitness center on campus, they have only a smith machine. as a substitute, today i did 6 sets of 6 one-legged squats increasing the weight with each set. regular two-legged squats in the smith messes with my knees. i am accustomed to performing squats in a power rack. do you have any suggestions for a replacement exercise for squats or even an alternate leg routine if you have several suggestions? suggestions for what i should do leading up to november are also welcome.

thank you!
    you could just do barbell deadlifts and the 1-legged squats holding dumbells for legs...
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Richard9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Richard9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Richard9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Richard9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Richard9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Richard9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Richard9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Richard9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Richard9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Richard9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Richard9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by randall_truscot
    r u serious?
    I dont think he is!!

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do good mornings and the one leg squats. You could also learn how to do cleans and then do front squats.

If they have a bench set up, you can load the weight on there and do zercher squats.
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

Stronger by da week! bodybuilda's Avatar
    bodybuilda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilda has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilda has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    there is never a substitute to squats
    Height 5'11
    weight 165
    PR's:
    DEADLIFT RAW: 345 x 1 reps
    SQUAT RAW: 275 x 3 reps
    BENCH RAW: 185x1rep (incline)
    Both no belt straps, no chalk or nothing.
    Just practically naked doing them!
    Check out my journal
    [url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=448005[/url]

Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    do zercher squats like rafikki said

Originally Posted by randall_truscot
    r u serious?
    i'm serious, but i've attached a bad pic to attempt to illustrate this. the severely limited barbell and dumbbell sections of the gym are in the rear of the pic.

zercher squats seem to be the most feasible. it seems like these squats will make the crooks of my arm give out way before my legs though.

thanks for all the replies!
    Attached Images

Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hi,

thank you!
    First off your gym has to be the worst ever with no free weight squats available. I would just do sumo deadlifts.
    "Powerlifters put it deeper in the hole."
    "Screw genetics, I'll decide my own potential!"
    Kansas Powerlifters keep in touch here! "http://www.kspowerlifting.proboards104.com/"

BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000) BangBrahs is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mateo_66
    First off your gym has to be the worst ever with no free weight squats available. I would just do sumo deadlifts.
    What is a sumo deadlift?

Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by rottengazebo
    What is a sumo deadlift?
    You have to deadlift a sumo wrestler. Start with the young trainees, work up to the champions and then the final challenge is to deadlift one of those big Hawaiin bastards. Only three people have ever managed that feat. They say the hard thing is that you have to hang onto that nappy/g-string thing they have riding up their huge, sweaty butt-cracks. Chalk helps.
    "A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."

i did my leg wkt today, and i tried the zercher squats on the decline bench. they were a little too stressful on the crooks of my arms, so i dangerously (somewhat) performed some light front squats on the decline to get a good feel for this exercise, as i do for the first time for every newly added exercise in my routine.

additionally, i tried out some sumo deadlifts at about 60%. because i was so pleased with how they felt, i will temporarily replace romanian deadlifts in my wkt schedule.

btw, here's a rough look at my workout...if anyone cares. note: i dont know popular names of some exercises, so i tried my best to describe them. as always, suggestions are more than welcome. keep in mind, gym equipment is extremely limited (i.e. no power rack, dumbbells do not exceed 50 lbs., etc.).

Monday
    sumo deadlifts, 10 sets of 3, increasing poundage each set
    smith machine standing calf raises, 3 directions, 3 sets of 12-15
    tricep pulldown, using v-bar
    leaning forward tri ext, on bench
    lower abs

Tuesday
    lat pulldown
    laying row (laying bentover row on a very low incline)
    pullups, max # of reps
    concentration curls
    ez bar preacher curls

Wednesday
    rest

Thursday
    front squats, 5x5
    smith machine one legged squats, 5x5
    seated calf raises, 3 sets
    upper abs
    cardio/sprinting, less than 1 mile

Friday
    flat barbell bench, 6 sets of 4, increasing poundage each set
    incline bench, 3 sets of 8
    barbell shrug and behind the back shrugs, alternating sets, total 4 sets of 8
    standing front ez bar raise over head
    obliques

Saturday
    rest

Sunday
    rest

p.s. i agree. this is the worst gym i've ever worked out in.

DJpler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJpler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJpler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJpler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJpler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJpler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJpler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJpler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJpler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJpler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DJpler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    find another gym