Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    trikidiego has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trikidiego has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trikidiego has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trikidiego has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

25 year old and slightly overweight going on Rippetoe's

Hi!
    I´m 25 and beginner in weight lifting. I've been going to the gym for 2 month but only for cardio&abs because I was overweighted (now I'm just OK). I've decided to go for the Rippetoe's Program in order to get muscle and strength.

Height: 5'8'' (176cm)
    Weight: 169lbs (76.5kg) (In the morning after bathroom and before breakfast)

My first workout A went like this:

-Squat(ATG mode)
    95lbs 3x5
    -Bench Press
    85lbs 3x5
    -Deadlift
    75lbs 1x5
    -Dips
    body weight 2x8
    -Abs Crunch Machine
    90lbs 20x3
    -Abs turning (obliques) Machine
    60lbs 20x3
    -30 min statiobary bicycle (random level 6)

I felt good in all the exercises, except the dips, where I could barely finish the last rep.
    The squats definitely where the most demanding exercise and today my legs sore.
    My warm-up consists of 2x5xbar + 1x5x75%(of total target weight) + 1x5x85%

That's it

I hope I can improve and develop my muscles. If I can It means that the program really works 'cause you can see that my shape does not look very good.

Ps: I'm also taking Whey protein before and after going to the gym.
    Ps: I'll try to post a picture ASAP.

Thank you for reading!
    Last edited by trikidiego; 06-20-2006 at 12:00 PM.

GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Excellent, good luck!

Just a thought, you may want to drop the dips for a while to get used to the workload. They don't hit anything you're not working with Bench and Standing Press, so you won't me missing anything critical (in fact, Dips are not even a part of Rippetoe's starting program - just a variation added in quite often as an accessory).

trikidiego has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trikidiego has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trikidiego has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trikidiego has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by GSP
    Excellent, good luck!

Just a thought, you may want to drop the dips for a while to get used to the workload. They don't hit anything you're not working with Bench and Standing Press, so you won't me missing anything critical (in fact, Dips are not even a part of Rippetoe's starting program - just a variation added in quite often as an accessory).
    I'll try for another time and see how it works. Or maybe go for 3x6

Thanks!

James Bain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good luck, I would clean that workout up and focus. My 5 by 5 went like this.
    I would work out every other day, alternating heavy - light - heavy - light

Heavy
    Squats
    Flat Bench
    Barbell Row
    Hyper Extensions

Light
    Squats
    Standing Shoulder Press
    Chin Up
    Dead Lift (heavy)

Abdominal every workout.
    Do it light, but do it Right!

well today was my second workout of the program. My legs felt really sore and I was thinkig about not doing the squats but finally I decided to do them anyway.

Work Out B
    -Squat
    100lbs 3x5 PR!
    Even though the sore I could lift 5lbs more than the last time.
    -Standing military press
    65lbs 3x5
    This was really hard.
    -Pendlay or Bent Rows
    85 3x5
    Next time i'm going to drop 5lbs in order to correct my position.
    -Chin-ups
    89lbs (body weight-80) 2x8
    -Decline Crunches
    body weight 15x3
    -Cross-Body Crunch
    body weight 15x3

Thank You for reading!

GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50) GSP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by trikidiego
    well today was my second workout of the program. My legs felt really sore and I was thinkig about not doing the squats but finally I decided to do them anyway.
    The Good news is that today will probably be the most painful workout you experience from a soreness standpoint. Friday will be better, and you probably won't experience much soreness after that. Fatigue, yes, but unless you take a break, today was the worst of it.

Originally Posted by GSP
    The Good news is that today will probably be the most painful workout you experience from a soreness standpoint. Friday will be better, and you probably won't experience much soreness after that. Fatigue, yes, but unless you take a break, today was the worst of it.
    That's probably right and I was hoping that for Friday I shall be OK.

I also decided to take vitamins since I'm not to good on eating fruits and vegetables. I bought "One a Day Active". Hope that helps too.

Day 3

The sore on my legs is almost gone so I decided I go for 5lbs more on the squats.

-Squat(ATG mode)
    105lbs 3x5 (PR!)
    I almost failed on the second set because I didn't rest enough time.

-Bench Press
    90lbs 3x5 (PR!)
    It felt easy but I didn't want to add more weight in order to follow Rippetoe's instructions.

-Deadlift
    85lbs 3x5 (PR!)
    As you can see I did 3 sets because I totally forgot that I was only supposed to do 1 jeje. Anyways , they felt really good.

-Dips
    139lbs (BW-30) 3x6
    I decided to take some weight off in order to make them right.

-Abs Crunch Machine
    90lbs 20x3
    For the first time I did warming for this.

-Abs turning (obliques) Machine
    60lbs 20x3

-30 min stationary bicycle (random level 6)

Overall it felt very good, specially the Deadlifts.

JonMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JonMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JonMB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cool man, keep it going.
    Jongasm.com

Day 4:
    Well, yesterday I played a soccer match (about 1:30 hours) and today my legs felt horrible since I hadn't played soccer for 2 years. Also I was feeling a little bit ill :S.

Work Out B
    -Squat
    110lbs 3x5 (PR!)

-Standing military press
    70lbs 3x5 (PR!)
    As always, this exercise is really tough. I'm thinking about buying lighter discs in order to raise the weights following the 2.5% "rule".

- Bent Rows
    85 3x5
    I just can't do the exercise in the right position. Derfinitely I'm going to lower the weight to correct that.

-Chin-ups
    99lbs (body weight-80) 2x8 (PR!)
    I did them all the way down.

-Decline Crunches
    body weight 15x4
    I increased the work in 1 set

-Cross-Body Crunch
    body weight 15x3

Overall:
    It was a tough day since I had a terrible headache and felt weak. Everything felt tough and the rows left me angry. I'm gonna defintely lower the weight to correct my position. I'm also gonna stick to the 2.5% increases.
    Last edited by trikidiego; 06-26-2006 at 12:43 PM.
    My journal for Rippetoe's Program:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=824348

plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) plaxxman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey man good luck on your rippetoe journey! we have similar starting #'s, except that u started with a higher squat and a lower bench than me. i will be checking freq. to see your progress!

Well, definetly the soccer match affected my legs...I hope to feel better tomorrow

Originally Posted by plaxxman
    hey man good luck on your rippetoe journey! we have similar starting #'s, except that u started with a higher squat and a lower bench than me. i will be checking freq. to see your progress!
    Thanks for checking out!

Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good start. Keep working on that form...it is so much more important to have that down before you start increasing the weights. And don't worry if an exercise's weight seems really easy on this program...I promise in a month it won't be. Its a great program and you will start to feel a transformation in the way you walk...your base and core will gain much strength. And yes my legs were the sorest on the 2nd workout of this program and by the 2nd week my legs were no longer sore from squatting. Tired and fatigued, yes. But not so painfully sore.
    There is no finish line.
    Overtraining happens far less often than laziness.

Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109984461

I got a cold so I missed the workout for today. Hope I can make it on Friday.

About the PR's, as I have never done this exercises I didn't have PR's.

Originally Posted by Ace_frehly
    Good start. Keep working on that form...it is so much more important to have that down before you start increasing the weights. And don't worry if an exercise's weight seems really easy on this program...I promise in a month it won't be. Its a great program and you will start to feel a transformation in the way you walk...your base and core will gain much strength. And yes my legs were the sorest on the 2nd workout of this program and by the 2nd week my legs were no longer sore from squatting. Tired and fatigued, yes. But not so painfully sore.
    Thanks!
    Good luck for you too

Day 4 version 2:
    It's been a week since I did my last workout becasue I got a flu and decided to make the same routine I did last monday

Work Out B
    -Squat
    110lbs 3x5

-Standing military press
    70lbs 3x5
    I failed on the last rep :S. I don't know why that happened 'cause last week I was able to do them alright (but it was tough).

- Bent Rows
    75 3x5
    I dropped the weight in order to correct the position.

-Chin-ups
    99lbs (body weight-70) 2x8 (PR!)

-Decline Crunches
    body weight 15x4

-Cross-Body Crunch
    body weight 15x3

Overall:
    It was good except for the military press. I suppose the failure was becuase I hadn't eat since breakfast and went to the gym at 2 pm.

Luke1977 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good start, man! One thing you'll find on this program is you gotta eat and eat and eat (but keep it clean of course ). I find if I don't eat enough the day before, my workout the next day suffers.

Stay the course!

-Luke

Day 5 (week 2)

-Squat(ATG mode)
    115lbs 3x5 (PR!)
    I did the breathing technique that consists on inhaling when you're up and exhaling when you're down.

-Bench Press
    95lbs 3x5 (PR!)

-Deadlift
    95lbs 1x5 (PR!)
    This was nice. Now I'm really feeling the traps working.

-Dips
    139lbs (BW-30) 2x8
    These ones really felt hard and I almost failed.

-Abs Crunch Machine
    90lbs 20x3

-Abs Rotary torso (obliques) Machine
    60lbs 20x3

-30 min stationary bicycle (random level 6)

Everything felt really good except for the dips and the obliques.
    As I also want to reduce my bodyfat I'm a bit concerned about eating too much before going to the gym but that is giving me "fuel" problems during the workout so I'm going to consider eating more before going to the gym.

Day 6 (week 2):

Work Out B
    -Squat (ATG mode)
    120lbs 3x5 (PR!)

-Standing military press
    70lbs 3x5
    I didn't fail but it was tough. This exercise is my weakness.

- Bent Rows
    80lbs 3x5
    This is the first time I've done the exercise in the right position. It really felt great!

-Chin-ups
    101lbs (body weight-68) 2x8 (PR!)
    I used two ankle weights in order to increase 2.5% percent.

-Decline Crunches
    body weight 15x4

-Cross-Body Crunch
    body weight 15x3

Overall:
    I really felt great for the rows and realized the form I had before was awful. Now my only weakness is the military press.
    Last edited by trikidiego; 07-07-2006 at 11:30 AM.

Day 5 (week 2)

-Squat(ATG mode)
    115lbs 3x5 (PR!)
    I did the breathing technique that consists on inhaling when you're up and exhaling when you're down.
    Congrats on the PR, here they come!

The breathing technique you just started using on Wed probably won't hurt right now, but as your squat weight goes up, having empty lungs at the bottom of the squat will really hurt your core stabilty and overall strength. You may want to practice now taking a huge breath at the top of the squat, forcing as much air as possible into your abdominal area and holding it for the duration of each rep. Exhale and take another deep breath between each rep. The air will force your stomach out which will brace your spine during the lift (essentially serves the same purpose as a lifting belt, but using your own muscles).

lifting for short people utjock12's Avatar
    utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) utjock12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

my advice...stop working out now before you get obsessed and start spending hundreds or dollars on supps and only eat chicken and oats all day, there is no turning back.

good luck man, keep those gains comin!
    succeeding is not enough, others must fail.

Originally Posted by GSP
    Congrats on the PR, here they come!

The breathing technique you just started using on Wed probably won't hurt right now, but as your squat weight goes up, having empty lungs at the bottom of the squat will really hurt your core stabilty and overall strength. You may want to practice now taking a huge breath at the top of the squat, forcing as much air as possible into your abdominal area and holding it for the duration of each rep. Exhale and take another deep breath between each rep. The air will force your stomach out which will brace your spine during the lift (essentially serves the same purpose as a lifting belt, but using your own muscles).

Yes...I realized that doing what you "said" is much more easier than the technique I did.

Originally Posted by utjock12
    my advice...stop working out now before you get obsessed and start spending hundreds or dollars on supps and only eat chicken and oats all day, there is no turning back.

good luck man, keep those gains comin!

jejejejejej
    I'm only spending on whey :P

Thanks!!!

Day 5 (week 3)
    Well, yesterday playing soccer I got my groin pulled so I'm out for squats and deadlifts at least for a week :S

-Bench Press
    100lbs 3x5 (PR!)
    I feel very good with this one

-Dips
    139lbs (BW-30) 2x8
    As almost these are very hard. I'm gonna drop down the weight in order to start going up again

-Abs Crunch Machine
    90lbs 20x3

-Abs Rotary torso (obliques) Machine
    64lbs 20x3
    This ones were a little painful for the groin since I use the legs to keep balance.
    Last edited by trikidiego; 07-10-2006 at 08:53 PM.

***day 5 week 3 was supposed to be day 7 week 3****

Day 8 (week 3):

Work Out B

-Standing military press
    75lbs 3x5 (PR!)
    I thought I wasn't gonna be able to do this butit went fine.

- Bent Rows
    85lbs 3x5
    This rows are feeling great but I noticed my left arm lifts less than my right one.

-Chin-ups
    115lbs 2x8 (PR!)

-Decline Crunches
    body weight 15x4

-Cross-Body Crunch
    body weight 15x3

Day 9 (week 3)

I decided to try the squats and deadlifts because my leg doesn't hurt.

Work Out A

-Squat(ATG mode)
    125lbs 3x5 (PR!)

-Bench Press
    100bs 3x5 (PR!)

-Deadlift
    105lbs 1x5 (PR!)

-Dips
    119lbs (BW-50) 2x8
    I dropped the weight and felt much better.

The abs machine were occupied so I did the "work out B" abs routine

-Decline Crunches
    body weight 15x4

-Cross-Body Crunch
    body weight 15x3

Didn't do cardio

mattman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mattman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm a week into this program. We started at roughly the same numbers so I'll definetly be checking into your progress to see how it goes

chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chasm143 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

good job...the PR's just keep coming!

Like the other post above:

BEWARE! Lifting can get quite addicting!!!
    On Day, Off Day...I just look forward to when I get to train.

superfinger122 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My warm-up consists of 2x5xbar + 1x5x75%(of total target weight) + 1x5x85%
    I don't get how you figure out your warm ups. Lol. I'm dumb.