drglfr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Simple carbs or Complex carbs post workout

I've been reading alot of conflicting advice when it comes to post workout carbs. I take creatine after my workout with gatorade and about 30 minutes later I have a protein shake followed by a whole food meal two hours later. Is this ok, or should I just eat some oats after my workouts along with my other supplements? Pls help clear up the confusion!!!

superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50) superhombre2k will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Your routine sounds good. It's really going to depend on what is convenient for you. Personally, I like to put a banana and oats in my post-workout whey protein shake because I don't have a lot of time for this, that, and then a meal.
    If you can't join'em, beat'em.

Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by drglfr
    I've been reading alot of conflicting advice when it comes to post workout carbs. I take creatine after my workout with gatorade and about 30 minutes later I have a protein shake followed by a whole food meal two hours later. Is this ok, or should I just eat some oats after my workouts along with my other supplements? Pls help clear up the confusion!!!
    That is always going to be a debate regarding simple or complex carbs. Personally I use simple carbs 50/50 dex/malto mix post workout then 45 minutes later consume a whole food meal. Others will argue to not use simple carbs because of the insulin spike and the possible fat gain from using dextrose or maltodextrin. To each his own
    HALEO Lead Forum Representative

Echo in Eternity

Store Link - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/haleo.html
    ******** Page - www.********.com/pages/HALEO-Worldwide-Inc/344612048892858

bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That is always going to be a debate regarding simple or complex carbs. Personally I use simple carbs 50/50 dex/malto mix post workout then 45 minutes later consume a whole food meal. Others will argue to not use simple carbs because of the insulin spike and the possible fat gain from using dextrose or maltodextrin. To each his own
    That's the most effective protocol, IMO.
    Admin at True Sport Supplements Inc.

B.S. Nutrition and Performance
    M.S. Exercise Physiology

Exercise Physiologist, Certified Personal Trainer
    Supplement Distributor and Athlete Promoter

Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Elliptical Envy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bodybuilder420
    That's the most effective protocol, IMO.
    This poses a question bodybuilder420. The Scivation guys believe to drink a BCAA+WPI cocktail and forego the post-workout shake. Consume the cocktail while working out and finish whatever is left post-workout then eat a whole food meal 30-45 minutes later. What is your opinion on that?
    HALEO Lead Forum Representative

Echo in Eternity

Store Link - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/haleo.html
    ******** Page - www.********.com/pages/HALEO-Worldwide-Inc/344612048892858

NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000) NATHAN518 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    original poster, you should be taking your PWO protein FIRST...before your gatorade and creatine...actually, I would just throw the creatine in the protein shake ad call it a day...then have a meal or another shake an hour later.

As for carbs...its all about the OATS...although a 50/50 oats/dextrose mix could be beneficial too...

xerox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xerox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xerox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xerox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xerox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xerox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xerox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xerox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xerox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xerox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xerox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When you finish a weight training session your glycogen levels are depleted. Your muscle tissue is damaged and you are in an energy deficit. These are precursors to catabolism. Your goal is to replenish your glycogen levels and refuel as quickly as possible. Simple carb is the superior option here. Faster digestion. The period following weight training is when you are also at your most anabolic. As far as the insulin arguement goes there are 2 things to consider. Insulin is anabolic. It's a growth hormone. Most people know that an insulin spike when you are in a sedentary state is bad because it only promotes the shuttling of energy to fat. BUT, an insulin spike in an anabolic state (post-workout) and caloric deficit (also post-workout) promotes shuttling of nutrients to muscle cells and damaged tissues where they are needed. Why do you think insulin is such a heavily abused substance among pro bb'ers? Secondly, When you are in an extreme energy deficit post-workout, consuming ANYTHING simple sugar, complex carb, sand for that matter, will result in similar extreme spikes in insulin. So all things being equal, the carb that digests the fastest is obviously the best. At all other times, avoid simple sugars like the plague, but immediatly post-workout is definitely the time when you want to put them to work.

Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As with most things, there is no black and white answer. It depends on your phenotype and genotype, it depends on your training style, and it depends on your goals.

Simple sugars work great for ectos, not so much for everyone else.

From a body composition standpoint, most people would do best from a combination of simple and complex carbs.
    DS and ID Mag, 'nuff said. For now.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

user1111 is just really nice. (+1000) user1111 is just really nice. (+1000) user1111 is just really nice. (+1000) user1111 is just really nice. (+1000) user1111 is just really nice. (+1000) user1111 is just really nice. (+1000) user1111 is just really nice. (+1000) user1111 is just really nice. (+1000) user1111 is just really nice. (+1000) user1111 is just really nice. (+1000) user1111 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by xerox
    When you finish a weight training session your glycogen levels are depleted. Your muscle tissue is damaged and you are in an energy deficit. These are precursors to catabolism. Your goal is to replenish your glycogen levels and refuel as quickly as possible. Simple carb is the superior option here. Faster digestion. The period following weight training is when you are also at your most anabolic. As far as the insulin arguement goes there are 2 things to consider. Insulin is anabolic. It's a growth hormone. Most people know that an insulin spike when you are in a sedentary state is bad because it only promotes the shuttling of energy to fat. BUT, an insulin spike in an anabolic state (post-workout) and caloric deficit (also post-workout) promotes shuttling of nutrients to muscle cells and damaged tissues where they are needed. Why do you think insulin is such a heavily abused substance among pro bb'ers? Secondly, When you are in an extreme energy deficit post-workout, consuming ANYTHING simple sugar, complex carb, sand for that matter, will result in similar extreme spikes in insulin. So all things being equal, the carb that digests the fastest is obviously the best. At all other times, avoid simple sugars like the plague, but immediatly post-workout is definitely the time when you want to put them to work.
    Do you know that protein synthesis is not insulin mediated post workout? The only use for insulin post workout is glycogen replenishing.

I change CHO doses to body comp goals. If I train twice a day for performance, I use majority simple with a mix of complex. If I train Twice a day for fat loss, I use a majority complex carbs. I sometimes do not even use carbs post workout..BLASPHAMEY!!!!

naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) naturalguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by USPlabs
    The only use for insulin post workout is glycogen replenishing.
    That is not the only use.

Insulin helps shuttle nutrients and blunt cortisol also.
    Free Agent

Instagram.com/naturalguy2.0

veritas vos liberabit NumberTwentyTwo's Avatar
    NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NumberTwentyTwo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by USPlabs
    Do you know that protein synthesis is not insulin mediated post workout? The only use for insulin post workout is glycogen replenishing.

I change CHO doses to body comp goals. If I train twice a day for performance, I use majority simple with a mix of complex. If I train Twice a day for fat loss, I use a majority complex carbs. I sometimes do not even use carbs post workout..BLASPHAMEY!!!!
    how do u prepare for mauy thai matches???

like the week leading into it and especially the day of

young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) young_squatter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I prefer oats, key is to try both and see which works best in my opinion. Ecto or athletes should take some simple.
    New 5/3/1 Strength Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152156313&p=1031620863#post1031620863

jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrkarp will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Twin Peak
    As with most things, there is no black and white answer. It depends on your phenotype and genotype, it depends on your training style, and it depends on your goals.

Simple sugars work great for ectos, not so much for everyone else.

From a body composition standpoint, most people would do best from a combination of simple and complex carbs.
    I am a combination of endo/meso, and I've been having good results with Avant's Supercarb mixed with my PWO protein.

Incidentally, triple dose XCEED + 24g Supercarb preworkout = sustained energy throughout the workout.

jmoore4556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmoore4556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmoore4556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmoore4556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmoore4556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmoore4556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmoore4556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmoore4556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmoore4556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmoore4556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmoore4556 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was going to say you might want to get some super carb to go with your post work out shake.

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by xerox
    This is correct no matter if you are bulking or cutting. The only difference is that when you are bulking, simple sugar is okay during any time. During cutting simple sugar is ONLY good post workout and POSSIBLY a little bit first thing in the morning.

Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Twin Peak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jrkarp
    I am a combination of endo/meso, and I've been having good results with Avant's Supercarb mixed with my PWO protein.

Incidentally, triple dose XCEED + 24g Supercarb preworkout = sustained energy throughout the workout.
    Sort of my point. And were I you, I'd add a bit if simple carbs (10 grams or so) when you are bulking.

Personally, I have yet to try SuperCarb, but have only heard good things.
    DS and ID Mag, 'nuff said. For now.

"Do as I say, not as I do."