Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pull Ups: Wide Vs. Close Grip

How do wide grip pull ups, and close grip pull ups differ?

Often times I hear that wide grip pull ups (how wide? shoulder width?) WIDEN the lats, but i've also heard bodybuilding works in opposites. So, that would mean close grip would widen the lats? Kinda confused here.

Also, what is the difference in stimulation regarding over, or underhand grips?

Thanks!

LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    my personal favorite for lat development is wide grip pullups with an overhand grip. i prefer to use the handles on these or use a lat pulldown bar over top of the hammer grip handles.
    Best Raw USAPL Competition Lifts
    S - 415
    B - 315
    D - 540
    Total - 1245

Training Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153130001&p=1052251991#post1052251991

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Orthodox
    How do wide grip pull ups, and close grip pull ups differ?

Often times I hear that wide grip pull ups (how wide? shoulder width?) WIDEN the lats, but i've also heard bodybuilding works in opposites. So, that would mean close grip would widen the lats? Kinda confused here.

Also, what is the difference in stimulation regarding over, or underhand grips?

Thanks!
    Wide grip (wider than shoulder width) widens the shoulder girdle and upper lats.

A more narrow grip works the lower area of the lats.

I prefer either palms over or neutral for training back, as in wider than shoulders palms over (away), more narrow with a neutral (hammer) grip.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1
    Wide grip (wider than shoulder width) widens the shoulder girdle and upper lats.

A more narrow grip works the lower area of the lats.

I prefer either palms over or neutral for training back, as in wider than shoulders palms over (away), more narrow with a neutral (hammer) grip.
    Palms over would be overhand, meaning your palms face away from you, correct?

What would a neutral grip be?

3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10) 3doz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Orthodox
    Palms over would be overhand, meaning your palms face away from you, correct?

What would a neutral grip be?
    Neutral grip would be a grip like a hammer curl, palms facing your ears or side of your head.

piportil_l4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piportil_l4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piportil_l4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piportil_l4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piportil_l4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piportil_l4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) piportil_l4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thw wide and narrow grip also aplies to ROWS , and also with the height of the row you can hit the upper or middle back , like with width grips.

I see, all very informative, thanks!

legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10) legends159 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by piportil_l4
    Thw wide and narrow grip also aplies to ROWS , and also with the height of the row you can hit the upper or middle back , like with width grips.
    I usually do Pendlay rows where I try to get the bar up to upper abs for upper back and Yates rows for the middle back

G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    These threads just keep popping up. I'm sure the most recent one is only on like page 2/3 or something.

Anyway, I alternate my grip workout-by-workout to hit my lats from multiple angles.

leanTXmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leanTXmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leanTXmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leanTXmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leanTXmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leanTXmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leanTXmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've just started doing unassisted pull-ups (wide grip overhand), and they seem to really be hitting my rear delts much more than the assisted ones did. Am I doing something wrong?

Originally Posted by G_Train
    These threads just keep popping up. I'm sure the most recent one is only on like page 2/3 or something.

Anyway, I alternate my grip workout-by-workout to hit my lats from multiple angles.
    Awsome, thanks for tip.

I was wondering what grips to use, as they both seem essential.

ManWithADream is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManWithADream is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManWithADream is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManWithADream is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManWithADream is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManWithADream is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManWithADream is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManWithADream is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManWithADream is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManWithADream is on a distinguished road. (+10) ManWithADream is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What kind of pull-up/chin-up will hit my biceps the best? As in which handles, and what position should my hands be in?
    ~*Many fall but one remains*~
    *Reps* If I post anything worth your time reading.
    *Negs* If I'm being ignorant sometimes, it happens.

leanTXmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leanTXmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leanTXmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leanTXmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leanTXmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leanTXmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leanTXmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Underhand grip is obviously going to hit your bi the best. It makes the motion very similar to a curl.

Yup, underhand grips hit the biceps great. I like to implement them for a compound movement for my biceps--as opposed to curls, etc.

leanTXmuscle: Noticed your in Dallas, I lift about 10-15 minutes outside of Dallas

Had never thought of subbing out underhand pullups for curls. Would make for a rough end to a workout. Will have to try it next week!