Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Anybody here allergic to dairy products, but able to use Whey protein?

I've always stayed away from Whey products because i am allergic to Milk - or lets say that at certain times, if I drink milk, eat ice cream, or pizza - it will mess with my breathing, I create massive amounts of mucus and phlegm, and I mean it literally feels as if I'm being strangled and my throat is closing off.

People tend to think of "lactose intolerance", but that's not what this is - lactose intolerant people can't digest it. i can digest it just fine - I just have an allergic reaction to it at times.

My question is - is anybody else here allergic to Dairy products, but able to use Whey Protein?

I don't want to waste the money buying Whey, only to have an allergic reaction to it.9I'm low on cash right now, so I'm literally watching pennies at the moment.)

I was using Soy shake mixes ("Naturade" brand, and then one sold on Home Shopping called "Secure" - My mom's an HSN addict, so I was like - " Hey mom, if you're just wanting to get something, why not buy me that!" LOL), but then people kept warning me about Soy having estrogen and all this other crap, so I don't even want to mess with is.

The problem is, in reality I'm almost a vegetarian these days - I'm leery of all the chemicals they pump into cows to bulk /fatten them up, and how they might effect me...and I eat mostly raw vegetables.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Tiny Tim

"In other words your body can't make fat without crabs." - Athletichunta

BoingoBoingoBoingoBoingo TinyMan's Avatar
    TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you are using soy, soy isolates are generally the products used - you can find them all over this site. As for the estrogen issue, there are estrogens in soy protein - phytoestrogens. Usually, I recommend people to read The (Partial) Vindication of Soy Protein by Will Brinks. IMO, it is a decent article, and then people can decide from there.

Remember that soy is not the only choice - egg, rice, and a few other forms of proteins are on the market (however, they can get pricey fairly quickly). I am lucky to not be allergic to dairy (or lactose intolerant actually), however I have talked with people who suspect they have a milk allergy, and I believe they did have problems with whey protein. I can't comment further to that, having no experience with it. At that point, I would suggest consulting with a doctor, to be honest.
    I remember being relevant.