rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000)

Question Thoughts on BCAA supplementation during training

Just looking for an opinion or two. I've been supplementing with BCAA (Scivation Xtend) for quite some time now DURING my training. I mix them in my water bottle and drink througout my routine.

Since going back to Keto a few weeks ago, I have continued this practice with what appears to be no ill effects. (I'm one of those who lives in great fear of catabalism, LOL). I still follow up my workouts with a scoop of WPI and 15g of dex, wait 1 to 1 1/2 hours, and have a full Keto meal.

I'm really just looking for some input on this practice, BCAA's during training while on Keto, from someone who has done it before. While things are working out great, I guess I"m wondering if it's affecting my fat\protein balance without me really thinking about it, or, if the BCAA's are even necessary while doing Keto.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Steve

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    - Dr. Seuss

Body like a stone, mind like a meatloaf.
    - Eric Cartman

drommon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rotlex
    Just looking for an opinion or two. I've been supplementing with BCAA (Scivation Xtend) for quite some time now DURING my training. I mix them in my water bottle and drink througout my routine.

Since going back to Keto a few weeks ago, I have continued this practice with what appears to be no ill effects. (I'm one of those who lives in great fear of catabalism, LOL). I still follow up my workouts with a scoop of WPI and 15g of dex, wait 1 to 1 1/2 hours, and have a full Keto meal.

I'm really just looking for some input on this practice, BCAA's during training while on Keto, from someone who has done it before. While things are working out great, I guess I"m wondering if it's affecting my fat\protein balance without me really thinking about it, or, if the BCAA's are even necessary while doing Keto.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    I am doing TKD. I take Xtend during my intense WO days to keep energy levels up. Although I take 40g of dextrose prior to WO, I have found that Xtend keeps me going, especially during squat/SLDL days. So far I think it is going well. I have tried other potion variables (dex + whey) during WO and found that it sometimes throws me out of ketosis. So I have stuck with 40g dextrose prior and Xtend during WO and I stay in ketosis. I suppose you could use bulk bcaa's, but I find the taste of Xtend to be appealing. Also the body converts glutamine and alanine to glucose for energy production (ketogenic diet, Lyle McDonald) during ketosis, so Xtend covers me there (glutamine).

As long as you are in ketosis your fat-protein balance is OK. However I do adjust my fat intake based on the amount of protein I take around my WO. IMO 65% fat + 30% Protein + 5% Carbs is ideal dietary ketosis, sometimes that is hard to meet. So as long as you are in ketosis, your macros are fine. Just be sure to check with ketostix on days you consume more carbs for some reason.

So far it seems to be working for me,

Drommon
    Last edited by drommon; 06-13-2006 at 09:25 AM.

rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000) rotlex is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for the comments on this. Like i said, I've been using them, without any apparent bad effects, but was just looking for some input from anyone. I don't THINK it's taking me out of ketosis, and I can't trust the test strips. (They NEVER seemed to work for me, even when i was on Atkins droping 2-3 pounds per week).

I'll probably stick with the Xtend for a while, as it has a nice mild flavor, and I guess just makes me feel "safer" when restricting calories and protein. Or I should probably say keeping protein consumption considerably lower than I normally would.

I have found that, this time around, keeping my fat in the 60-65% zone is working VERY well. Doing CKD with a mild carb up once per week, primarily from oats and sprouted grain\ezekiel breads.
    Steve

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    - Dr. Seuss

Body like a stone, mind like a meatloaf.
    - Eric Cartman

Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000) Richie is just really nice. (+1000)
    BCAA's on a keto makes a lot of sense. although i haven't done it.

i make my own potion though. Citrulline Malate, BCAA's, Taurine & TriCreatine. works good now but we'll see on a keto.

oh, and 30 min. before that it's Acetyl-l-Carnitine & Fish Oil to get the pre w/o ritual going.

Richie